Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lawrence Frank should never have drawn up a play where anyone (Vince, Kidd, RJ, Cliffy) shoots a long 3 with over 20 seconds left on the clock. During the time out, Mark Jackson was saying how the Nets didn't need a 3.

If Vince or RJ drove to the rim, they would have gotten 2 free throws. All the Nets have to do after that is deny LeBron the ball on the next inbound and make someone else make free throws. The Nets have a much better chance with Vince, Kidd, and RJ shooting free throws down the stretch than Snow, Varejo, Gooden, and Marshall.

For all his "chess match" coaching throughout the game, Lawrence Frank needs to learn how to finish games.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dark Knight said:
You seriously think that that is what Lawrence Frank drew up?

Well, if he didn't draw that up he needs to learn to control his players.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Dark Knight said:
There is absolutely no chance that Frank drew up a play where Vince hoists up a 28 ft 3 right off the inbound.
what u guys don't understand is vc doesnt hit three's right at the 3 point lne all his threes his season have been 26 to 28 footers

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vinsane said:
what u guys don't understand is vc doesnt hit three's right at the 3 point lne all his threes his season have been 26 to 28 footers

That is irrelevent. There was time for higher percentage shots and drawing fouls in the lane. In that situation, a 3 pointer was the wrong call, no matter who made that call.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
furnace said:
Lawrence Frank should never have drawn up a play where anyone (Vince, Kidd, RJ, Cliffy) shoots a long 3 with over 20 seconds left on the clock. During the time out, Mark Jackson was saying how the Nets didn't need a 3.

If Vince or RJ drove to the rim, they would have gotten 2 free throws. All the Nets have to do after that is deny LeBron the ball on the next inbound and make someone else make free throws. The Nets have a much better chance with Vince, Kidd, and RJ shooting free throws down the stretch than Snow, Varejo, Gooden, and Marshall.

For all his "chess match" coaching throughout the game, Lawrence Frank needs to learn how to finish games.
I said that out loud at the game "THAT was the play?" would've been nice to have VInce or RJ attack the rim or utilize Kristic down low.

The iso works for him a lot just didn't put some ice on the game

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
He drew up the play for vince to decide if he was open he would take the shot, if not then pass out to someone else. I think he said something like;

"I live or die with vince. If he felt he was open on that shot then i support him"

take it as you will

·
Premium Member
7,222 Posts
This is what FOMW said in the other thread, and I agree with her.

I also thought the three was clearly a designed play. We've seen it run MANY times this season, and it calls for Vince to fake a back door cut while getting a screen in the paint, come back out to receive the ball beyond three, where he has the option of shooting if his man got behind on the screen or driving if the big man switched, or dishing to an open big man screener (usually Krstic) in the paint if there was a defensive mixup and both defenders follow Vince out. There was no switch, his man was a step late getting out, the Nets were down 3 with under 24 to play, and he had a nice look at the shot, the same shot that he's proved over and over he can make. He had a pretty good touch throughout the game, was mixing things up well, and certainly had bombed in long threes early in the game. So the shot was well-justified . . . not the only play he could have made but a very legitimate, high-reward/risk ratio play. He just didn't make it. That happens to every franchise player, much more often than the reverse, in fact.
Meaning that Vince was given an option that based on his judgement, he should either go for the three if he's open or carry out the alternate play. And Vince was open on that play, so he took it.

·
Banned
4,647 Posts
In basketball, every "play" has three or four or five different oppurtunities for shots, depending on how the defense is reacting. Clearly the play was designed to get Vince the ball at the top of the key, and I'm sure Lawrence told Vince, if he's open when he catches the ball coming off the down screen action, then to pull the trigger. But not only was Vince not open, he caught the ball 3 feet behind the ark. He was pressured when he raised for the shot, and he was contested in the air. Anyway you cut it, it was a bad shot. If Vince had waited for the screen, it's almost guaranteed the Cavs would have blitzed it in an attempt to deny VC the three, and Vince would have been able to find the open Net for the quick, easy two.

Reactions: Anima

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Actually if you look at the play agian, Vince was relatively open. He had the separation necessary. He just didn't make it because he was clearly shook after missing that free throw. I think the safest bet would've been to drive. He got stripped driving twice in the 4th quarter and I think that deterred him.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Vinsane said:
i be it wouldn't have been stupid if he had made it though

It would still be a bad shot even if he made it. I would have been relieved, but it still would have been a bad shot.

For example, the game winning shot in Toronto is different. There were 6 seconds left and the Nets had to go the entire length of the floor, so by the time Vince shot the ball time was running out. The buzzer actually went off while the ball was in the air. In this Toronto game, there was really no choice but to take a quick shot before time ran out.

Here, there were 20 seconds left when the ball was inbounded and about 18 seconds left when he caught it. Plenty of time to drive the lane, pick up a foul, and stop the clock. The Nets are a much better foul shooting team, especially when you compare each team's top 3 (who were playing at the time)

RJ: 80.7
Vince: 80.5
Kidd: 80.2

Hughes: 76.2
Marshall: 74.1
James: 73.8

More foul shots are to the Nets' advantage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.