Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets get something straight, most of you who are complaining spend ALOT of time on here. And you actualy come on here and *****? "Theres not enough avatars. Give me more avatars." Your on here for FREE, be happy you get any. Your the kind of people who win 1 million and think man, if that other guy didnt win too, I'd have more money, this sucks. Grow up. Your trying to uncover some secert mod conspiracy that doesnt exist. The mods here do a great job of taking care of problems that arise and making sure we all have the best experience we can. Im still in shock people can be complaining about things so stupid. This sight has grow so much since it first started and now its a board where people come to talk about anything. Before I came here I used to just go to boards and only read threads because most of the other boards out there you HAVE to pay to post. And the ones you dont have to arent anywhere near the quality of this site. The only thing holding me back from being a supporting member is a lack of a credit card. As soon as I get one Ill be more than happy to pay a small fee to keep the site running. I come on here every day after work to see what new threads are up and sometimes end up losing track of time and spending over an hour on here talking to friends I've made on this board. I feel privledged to be a member of this great board, and to all you who cant understand how lucky you are to be able to post on such a top notch site for free, you can leave, I dont want you here and I think it will be funny when you see just how good this board is when you go looking somewhere else. Sorry for opening up a thread like this mods but I just wanted you to know its only a select few who think they're being slighted in some sick dillusional way. Thanks for running such a great site, I hope to be posting here for years to come.

·
This...is BBB.net
5,416 Posts
I'm actually also with R-star here, yes I ***** and moan every once in a while, but I never complain about the features offered to me for free, yes I might bend a rule here and there, but I'm just happy to have a place to post.

BOO HOO HOO, I can't have a custom avatar, WA WA WA there are avatars of players with their old teams...just consider it following the retro theme :p

I'm of the same impression, if you would rather hang out at one of the other boards on the internet, by all means, PM me I will send you some URLS, otherwise...STFU

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
Great post. It's time some of these guys here start realize how blessed we are to be a part of such an active forum where we know each other and it's only been a year now. I'm proud to be a member of such a great site with great people where I can discuss basketball.

Avatars are just an extra, not a priority on my list.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Great post. Less than $10.00 for an <b>entire year</b> isn't much and for all of the enjoyment one gets from these forums, it is little to ask. :)

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Great post R-Star..Great post..And no $10.00 isnt much to spend to be a SM..and it is to help the site..

·
Registered
996 Posts
Great post. I completely agree.

Can you only be a supporting member by using a credit card? Is there any way to send a money order somewhere?

I'm willing and ready to fork up my money, but never have or will be completely comfortable using my credit card over the internet though I realize it's pretty safe now. If money orders or just sending cash somewhere is possible.. please PM or say something here.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Originally posted by <b>W1Z0C0Z</b>!
Great post. I completely agree.

Can you only be a supporting member by using a credit card? Is there any way to send a money order somewhere?

I'm willing and ready to fork up my money, but never have or will be completely comfortable using my credit card over the internet though I realize it's pretty safe now. If money orders or just sending cash somewhere is possible.. please PM or say something here.
I sent in my money through mail. PM BCH. He has the adress. :yes:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I know I will probably be bashed for posting it but let me just give my opinion on this topic.

First, I got no beef against any mod or admin on this site. I think it's fair enough to say they do a great job. Also, I don't pay much attention to avatars.

What I'm more worried about is that some people's opinions on this topic are being dissed without reason. I'm not talking about the people who ***** for bigger or other avatars (it's obviously a childish reaction as you pointed out R-Star), but about people who try and give alternative strategies to make this site even better and attractive.

Remember there are other forums on the Internet (not basketball related) that allow custom avatars for free. It is paid for by advertising. That was just an example. Whether those alternative strategies are feasible or not, or whether they can be applied to BBB.net is the Admins job to determine, but again the formers should not be disrespected as they are there to help building a larger community.

I know people who run this site might not want to discuss some things in public, <strike>but this is not Cuba. </strike>(no bashing of any country ) IMHO following a blind consensus will lead this site to monolithism. Allowing members' opinions on important matters to be heard (Internet pros or not) will make it better. This is what I would like to see.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Thank you for the nice post, R-Star.

As long as you bring up the subject, I'd like to take a couple of minutes to clear the air about some of our policies and the reasons behind them.

I admit that we are somewhat obsessive about keeping things clean and non-offensive. This rubs some people the wrong way, especially if it means an edit to an isolated, precious post. Or 100 of them.

I'm speaking for myself here, not necessarily espousing board policy, but to my mind, the philosophy of these boards is twofold -- first, to develop and maitain a closeknit, congenial atmosphere, with a goal to foster a tight "family" here in our little corner of cyberspace. That is why we do not tolerate derogatory racial statements in any way, shape or form. Significant portions of our posting base is of asian, african or hispanic descent. Comments derogatory to a racial group are an attack on part of my bbb.net family, and nobody atacks my family. We also limit adult content, meaning harsh language, sexual content, etc. because we have a significant numbr of posters who are in their pre and early teens. Given that, we don't think its apropriate.

Second (and really, its more like a tie for first) we want to promote intelligent and mature basketball discussion. For this reason, the "If yu likke the Fakers Yu Sukkkk" garbage gets edited. Such posts are contrary to what we consider productive for this site. Its about talking hoops, not about talking about the people who are talking about hoops. If all you want to do is get onlne and talk ****, as opposed to engaging in a rational debate, well, there are plenty of internet sites where that is welcome. This place isn't one of them.

It isn't like we (or at least I) don't have a sense of humor. I could out-filthy Wink in a heartbeat and leave him blushing like a little girl. I can hold my own with the best of them. (Love to Wink- just needed an example). There are plenty of things I edit that I think are funny. But we have a broad audience, and its my responsibility to keep that in mind. I need to make sure ALL of our posters are comfortable posting here, and if achieving that goal means editing profanity, forbidding personal attacks and keeping the place free of racial or sexual bias or doing whatever it takes to make sure that a poster can come to our community and participate without being belittled or made to feel unworthy, than so be it. Yes, there is such a thing as Freedom of Speech. It applies to the Federal Government (and to the states, under the 14th Amendment). Yes, in practice, and in people's expectations, the concept has become extended as a standard, in a de facto manner, to private enterprises, but even the government is entitled to rstrict "free speech" if the limit is reasonable as to time, place and manner. As I said above, if anyone wants to talk trash or post racially insensitive garbage or spout profanity, there are plenty of alternative forums available to do that, so youare not being unduly restricted.

In sum, we want a site that encourages intelligent discussion and a site in which posters are treated with respect and dignity. I think these are worthy goals, and I hope you support our efforts to meet those goals.

Anyway, I just thought that if you understand that we are not being strict about enforcing guidelines just to be jerks, but had solid reasons for doing so, it might be easier to take it when a post gets edited or if someone gets suspended for repeatedly ignoring the rules. Thanks for being a part of this. We do appreciate you all and we're glad that you are here, participating in this noble experiment.

TB#1

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by <b>starvydas</b>!
I know I will probably be bashed for posting it but let me just give my opinion on this topic.

First, I got no beef against any mod or admin on this site. I think it's fair enough to say they do a great job. Also, I don't pay much attention to avatars.

What I'm more worried about is that some people's opinions on this topic are being dissed without reason. I'm not talking about the people who ***** for bigger or other avatars (it's obviously a childish reaction as you pointed out R-Star), but about people who try and give alternative strategies to make this site even better and attractive.

Remember there are other forums on the Internet (not basketball related) that allow custom avatars for free. It is paid for by advertising. That was just an example. Whether those alternative strategies are feasible or not, or whether they can be applied to BBB.net is the Admins job to determine, but again the formers should not be disrespected as they are there to help building a larger community.

I know people who run this site might not want to discuss some things in public, <strike>but this is not Cuba. </strike>( Please, no bashing of another country.) IMHO following a blind consensus will lead this site to monolithism. Allowing members' opinions on important matters to be heard (Internet pros or not) will make it better. This is what I would like to see.
I feel that if someone has an idea in how they think the site could be made better, the best rout of discusing it is by pm, not in a post for all to see. That being said, this is probably one of the only boards where there are 0 pop ups or router pages. I for one would pay alot more than $10 a month just for that alone.

·
Jib and thrust
7,501 Posts
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!

I feel that if someone has an idea in how they think the site could be made better, the best rout of discusing it is by pm, not in a post for all to see. That being said, this is probably one of the only boards where there are 0 pop ups or router pages. I for one would pay alot more than $10 a month just for that alone.

Then why arent you a SM? Im just curious. Im not trying to be offensive or anything.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: Yall are wanting 4000 members..

Originally posted by <b>theghostof#21</b>!
and if people send it 10 dollars each;
That totals a lot of money, so does ron get a new H2..?? or how is the money distributed :confused:
Im no mod but I figure it would be used to make the site bigger and have more functions. And Im sure everyone knows its not relistic to figure that every last member will pay the fee. Some people barley even post, as to were some people post over 20 messages a day. Im sure that if the people who run this site were in it for the money, they would be alot more adamant about getting people to join up so they could get their H2's.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Just so everyone knows, there are plenty of other good message boards across the internet, a couple of which I post at. I post at one where there is very little editing or removing of posts, but the people there are still pretty tight-knit and it's still like a small community. It seems like there are almost always over 100 people logged in, too (106 as I type this), about the same as here (126 right now). Another site has far fewer posters, usually about 15-20 on at a time, and there's a lot more moderation (although it seems like a lot less than here, but there's not as much that needs to be edited, either). Both are good forums, both are free. And that's just two. I can think of many others that I don't post at all the time that are free, some that provide extra benefits if you do pay.

This site isn't perfect. In fact there are a lot of things I'd like to see changed, but I've learned that the mods usually have their own opinions and they're the ones who run the show here, so I eventually gave up my crusade and decided to just accept this site for what it is, a good, free site with a lot of posters that's good to spend an hour on here or there.

My point is, well I don't really have much of a point. It's a good site, but not the best or only one of its kind. If you don't like it you have two choices: leave or accept it and shut up.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by <b>Vintage</b>!

Then why arent you a SM? Im just curious. Im not trying to be offensive or anything.
I do not have a credit card of my own, and my parents are a little squemish when it comes to anything that involves the internet and their credit card. Regardless, I am in the works to become an supporting memeber, if that involves me sending the money, all the way from Red Deer Alberta Canada, then so be it. This site is a privledge and Im about ready to take care of my end of the deal. No offence taken by the way, I can see where some people would get the idea that Im being a hipocrite (sp?) but I'll find a way for the money to get there one way or another very soon.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
I would like a forum for my fan club, but I doubt that will happen...

-Petey

1 - 20 of 49 Posts