Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Marshall didn't want to tip his free-agent hand last night before the Raptors faced the Sixers at the Wachovia Center. But he left no doubt about his affinity for his hometown team. "I love coming back here," Marshall said. "I grew up watching this team, idolizing this team." Marshall said that if Toronto did not make the postseason, he would be rooting for the Sixers. But did that mean he would play for them? Marshall said that at the least, he would listen to their offers." Philadelphia Inquirer

"Early in my career, I used to always say I didn't want to come back here because I didn't really know how to deal with family," Marshall said, adding that he thought it was better to be away "and come back for one game and deal with it." Now he has a different mind-set. "I will be in my 12th year next year and I know how to deal with it now," Marshall said. Before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, it was no secret that the Sixers were trying to acquire Marshall. "We were in deep, deep conversation with Toronto about him," said Billy King, the Sixers' president and general manager." Philadelphia Inquirer

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Thanks for this tidbit. Now I have to ask people a question, if it came down to Donyell Marshall or Kyle Korver for the MLE, who would you offer it to?

I don't know it's pretty tempting for me, Marshall would definitely be an upgrade over Rogers, is a capable rebounder and scoring option, and his versatility would be a huge plus. I'd really consider choosing Donyell over KK, but in all reality we're not going to be the only team who is hot after him.. there's a certain team in the swamp who would like him as well.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I'd take Korver over him because he is much younger, Donyell is probably going to retire after several more seasons, and Korver could be with this team for a long time. Also Korver is a better shooter. If we could get them both, with a new coach, this team could be deadly next year. Too bad it probably won't happen.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
With webber, I don't see the need of Marshall over Korver, since he would be playing, at most, 18 per, and Kyle will be playing at least 25 per.

·
Jedi/Sith Hybrid
1,455 Posts
sliccat said:
With webber, I don't see the need of Marshall over Korver, since he would be playing, at most, 18 per, and Kyle will be playing at least 25 per.
My thoughts exactly...

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
sliccat said:
To get Marshall we might have to do a sign and trade with Toronto and they get Rodney Rogers. Marshall is a much much better version of Rogers and he would be a very nice complement to our team.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Kunlun said:
To get Marshall we might have to do a sign and trade with Toronto and they get Rodney Rogers. Marshall is a much much better version of Rogers and he would be a very nice complement to our team.
I'm sure Toronto realizes this also. So why would they take Rodney Rogers' in return when they could just let Donyell walk.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
sliccat said:
Where do you get 18 per? Donyell's more than capable of playing SF, and not harming the Sixers defensively. I think Donyell would be getting 25 minutes at the least here.

Kunlun said:
Not exactly. That's the only way the Sixers would be capable of acquiring Marshall, if they still kept Korver, that's not something that's even close to being possible.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
PHILADELPHIA -- Donyell Marshall is a big man who likes to shoot the 3-pointer. Jim O'Brien is a coach who likes big men who like to shoot the 3-pointer.

Could there be a match during the offseason, when Marshall, the Toronto Raptors' forward, goes through his free agent shopping list, a list that could very well include the 76ers?

While Marshall wouldn't say directly, he did indicate that he's very familiar with the Sixers' style, which is something he studied closely during the trade deadline last month when the Sixers were interested in trading for him.

And Marshall, who's from Reading, Pa., and a lifelong Sixers fan, said he liked what he saw. There's a chance the Sixers can sign him with their mid-level exception, which should be worth about $5 million next season. Marshall, 32, is making $5.3 million this season.

"When you've got [Andre] Iguodala and [Allen] Iverson, they like to get to the basket with their penetration and kick the ball out," Marshall said. "I can hit that shot. Right now, they've got [Kyle] Korver on one side, and if you have someone else on the other side, it's a lot harder to guard."
LINK

Yeah, he's talking about being here with Kyle, that's a pipe dream there.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Magyarn said:
We would certainly get a lot of three pointers, Donyell is chucking at an imprssive rate (although he's making them).
Indeed, and that's the very style that Jim O'Brien loves.

Oh yeah, welcome to the boards, hope to see you posting around. :)

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
SixersFan said:
Then how would a trade work of Rogers for Donyell?
The more I think about, the more it's probably not possible, since I just remembered we wouldn't have Rogers' bird rights since he signed a one year deal in the offseason. If both the Sixers and Raptors had the bird right's of Donyell Marshall and Rodney Rogers they might've been able to workout a sign and trade deal, which would leave the MLE open for us.

But we don't have Rogers' bird rights so it's all moot. Especially when you consider no one will want Rodney Rogers, and he'll most likely be out of the league next season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts