Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And the Knicks, 0-4 and one game into a six-game western road trip, would have little to offer Toronto because all their centres are either too young (Channing Frye and Eddy Curry) or too expensive (Malik Rose, Jerome James) to move.

However, the expiring contract of Penny Hardaway, worth about $15.7 million this season (all figures U.S.) might make sense in a deal and the <b>Knicks twice expressed interest in Rose last season</b> — in November when Vince Carter was traded and again at the trade deadline.
That trade is a little boaring perhaps we can spice it up by adding channing frye & Loren Woods (since NY Also has jerome James and Eddy Curry).

Or better Yet Rose for Antonio Davis and Matt Barnes.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/matt_barnes/index.html

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
i think rose has to go but no for penny, he is one of the few people whos contract is close to the same

·
Registered
364 Posts
madman said:
i think rose has to go but no for penny, he is one of the few people whos contract is close to the same
i agree i think Rose has to go to but i wouldnt mind if it was for penny. His contract expires this season saving them $15+ mil on a FA.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
MjM2xtreMe said:
i agree i think Rose has to go to but i wouldnt mind if it was for penny. His contract expires this season saving them $15+ mil on a FA.
but there arent as many good FA big men this year as next (as far i can remember)

·
Sexy Moderator
13,497 Posts
Frye is off limits as of right now. NY Post reported Zeke will not trade any of his young players. Also note: Marbs is on the trading block.

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Kitty said:
Frye is off limits as of right now. NY Post reported Zeke will not trade any of his young players. Also note: Marbs is on the trading block.
No way Raptors go after Marbury. Terrible contract, and we are already set at that position for now and the future.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kitty said:
Marbs is a team killer - all that tallent made him too selfish.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Vecsey waxed about Steph for Rose today. Yuck.

I would do the penny deal just to get rid of jalen. Straight up deal. Anything over a straight swap is gravy.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
Vescey, what a guy...

He was doing the draft preview show for nba.com, going through each team with Fred Carter and another guy.

They came to Toronto, and the guy asked him about Joey Graham and what kind of an impact he might have. "You're asking the wrong guy," says Vescey, "I've never seen him play!"

What an astute basketball mind he is.

And while we're on this topic, they were doing another preview show for the site, again landing on the Raptors. I think it was Jay Bilas who said, "Chris Bosh--now here's a guy who really should be playing small forward."

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'd take Marbury. We need a superstar back, and Bosh can't handle the load, and Marbury is a terrific passer, but sometimes get caught being a ball hog.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
speedythief said:
And while we're on this topic, they were doing another preview show for the site, again landing on the Raptors. I think it was Jay Bilas who said, "Chris Bosh--now here's a guy who really should be playing small forward."
Yeah, Bilas should stick to being a lawyer.

Say no to Steph.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Maybe we can get Ariza out of this deal?

·
Registered
419 Posts
MjM2xtreMe said:
here's a link with the FA of '06 by position :

http://probasketball.about.com/od/newsrumorsopinion/a/nbafreeagents06_2.htm

IF they were to get Penny and have that available cap space, who would you want?
LETS GET ALONZO MOURNING

lol
no seriously...

WHY'S JASON COLLIER ON THAT LIST?
there's no one that interests me, except:

Rasual Butler, Devean George, Trevor Ariza, DeShawn Stephenson, Fred Jones, Boris Diaw, Zoran Planinic, or Kelvin Cato

but I dont see any of ^ helping us out...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
im gonan say it again...Babcock is sticking to his word....he is planning EVERYTHIGN out quite nicely...he is going after that summer of 07...when we have all that cap space...he got Mike James for that...he sent Ukic to europe for that...and everything is pointing to that summer...he isnt going to trade anyone unless they can help TREMENDOUSLY...like a deal that he cant pass up...which is not going to happen...so i say no to penny and HELLL NOOOO to Stephon Marbury...plus i dont mind keeping rose until after next yea..and let the loosing come...it just means higher picks..and better free agents...our teams is going to be STACKED going into the 07-08 season..with 2 very good high lottery young players...Chris Bosh/Charlie V/Joey G/Calderon/Ukic and whom ever we sign with all our money....so why sway from that...and get money this year when no one is available????

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
don't know how much more bad pub this franchise can endure without having it engrave an indelible mark (irreparable damage?) on our plan and our future. rose for penny? from a basketball point of view, only to change the look on the court and possibly give our young players more playing time that could actually help them. but giving more PT (by 5 mpg or whatever) is not necessarily a good thing. there are many others to consider beforehand.

but more importantly, rose for penny, ostensibly throwing the towel in on this season, would, whether beneficial for the long-term future of this franchise or not, add even more fuel to the fire of superficial critics looking to blast this team with their humour masking pain. the players we have already, imo, have done a poor job of ignoring the fallacies brought forth by the media this year, and have instead assumed the role of projected 'loser'. it's been painful for me, as a fan, to watch. and it doesn't give me much confidence that they could listen to even more garbage, which the rose for penny deal would likely produce overnight.

i've said it before but i'll say it again: i don't know what rose is bringing to the team behind the scenes, it might be great or it might be awful (likely somewhere in between), but he has almost become a sunk cost regardless. his contract coming off in 07 is part of the plan; if there's a solution to this mess (assuming there is a mess), it might be to wait another year for him to become expiring, then try dealing him for an expiring scrub + youth. i don't think his value on the court will take a tumble to the depths of anfernee hardaway-level before then. i think this player has another 2-3 years of productive basketball ahead of him, and he's never been prone to injury.

i also thing that he's had a tough season to date, but probably not for the same reasons some of you do.

peace

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
LETS GET ALONZO MOURNING

lol
no seriously...

WHY'S JASON COLLIER ON THAT LIST?
there's no one that interests me, except:

Rasual Butler, Devean George, Trevor Ariza, DeShawn Stephenson, Fred Jones, Boris Diaw, Zoran Planinic, or Kelvin Cato

but I dont see any of ^ helping us out...
07 is the year we have real money.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Mr_B said:
rose for penny is weak and will drive the knife further into the dying raptor fan base
Were you following UNC basketball closely when they won 8 games about four years ago.

No, because you are a bandwagoner, and speak only in bandwagoner language.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts