Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rick : (west chester PA): Hey Dr. Jack, Why cant u coach the sixers? What is MO cheeks contract status, and why couldn't we fire Glenn "Im really a dawg" Robinson? Where do you recommend the sixers go, should they clean house? How about a Kobe for AI trade this offseason in a sign and trade?

Dr. Jack Ramsay: I already coached the Sixers at one time... and am not interested in coaching anywhere again. My guess is that Cheeks will be let out of his Blazers contract...good through next year...and become the Sixers next coach next season. Whoever coaches the team, a new roster is needed. Robinson/Thomas isn't a good mix at the forwards. The Sixers would love to get Kobe for AI...it won't happen.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>LongtimeLurker</b>!
rick : (west chester PA): Hey Dr. Jack, Why cant u coach the sixers? What is MO cheeks contract status, and why couldn't we fire Glenn "Im really a dawg" Robinson? Where do you recommend the sixers go, should they clean house? How about a Kobe for AI trade this offseason in a sign and trade?

Dr. Jack Ramsay: I already coached the Sixers at one time... and am not interested in coaching anywhere again. My guess is that Cheeks will be let out of his Blazers contract...good through next year...and become the Sixers next coach next season. Whoever coaches the team, a new roster is needed. Robinson/Thomas isn't a good mix at the forwards. The Sixers would love to get Kobe for AI...it won't happen.
If or when Cheeks does leave Portland I hope that they pick up a guy like Carisile. An X's and O's kind of coach. I think that is what this team needs, not a buddy coach, but a coach that the players will listen too.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Re: Re: Dr Jack predicts Mo's future...

Originally posted by <b>HOWIE</b>!
If or when Cheeks does leave Portland I hope that they pick up a guy like Carisile. An X's and O's kind of coach. I think that is what this team needs, not a buddy coach, but a coach that the players will listen too.
Who says Cheeks is going anywhere? I think he gets a bad rap for being the so-called "buddy coach." He gets a bad rap just as the Blazer organization does. Who knows, maybe the new guys will help with team chemistry.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Dr Jack predicts Mo's future...

Originally posted by <b>antibody</b>!

Who says Cheeks is going anywhere? I think he gets a bad rap for being the so-called "buddy coach." He gets a bad rap just as the Blazer organization does. Who knows, maybe the new guys will help with team chemistry.
I did say If or When. :D

However, you could be correct with the new players that are coming in. Maybe the chemistry does get better, we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
The way Nash answered the question yesterday with Oregonlive, it makes me think that Cheeks isn't necessarily the future... he said something like, "Mo Cheeks is under contract with the Portland Trail Blazers this year and next, with a team option the following year. That's really all there is to it."

He didn't say, "Cheeks is our coach and he's going to be for the next couple of years."

The fact that he's under contract with Portland is important, but it's just as important for getting value for him as it is keeping him in town as coach...

Ed O.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
It could very well be that the Blazer front office considered Mo to be the best person to coach the team this year. If his strength is in dealing with players and encouraging them, helping them to play together, building a team mentality - that's potentially the best type of coach if you have a team filled with players like Wallace and Wells. But they're now gone. So, Mo might no longer be the best type of coach for the "future" Blazers.

I can see the front office having discussions like this.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
He didn't say, "Cheeks is our coach and he's going to be for the next couple of years."
Ed O.
True. Yet, what else is he going to say? You don't hear many organizations come out and state that their coach will be there for several years, X amount of years, or is the future of the team. Coaches come and go now like the wind.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
John Nash made a very telling remark in his interview at O-Live. When asked if Cheeks was going anywhere, he didn't take the opportunity to praise Cheeks or give him a vote of confidence. All he said was Mo Cheeks is under contract to the Portland Trail Blazers for this season and one more. I have a feeling that management is less than happy with Cheeks, and don't see him as their long-term coach.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
yup, it's what he didn't say that stands out more than what he said.

let's face it, our coach has lost more games than any coach who's been employed by the same team since the end of last season, except for Atlanta, where despair and the sale overrides everything else.

Cheeks' greatest asset this season has been his marketability to the Blazer fans. he's a guy everybody likes. he's also supposedly good at managing headcases.

guess what? our team is really no longer a PR disaster. yeah, there's Damon, but the Oregonian does a great job of making him look good on a near-daily basis. there's Ruben, but he's a minor player that's easy to forget. there's Zach, but when he wins Most Improved Player it'll be so far removed from the Punch that most fans probably won't even remember it, and if they do they'll blame Sheed and Bonzi for the overall chaos of the team.

nope, we don't have the headcases anymore and we don't need the PR cover that Cheeks and The Anthem give us. now it's all about the coaching, and frankly there are going to be better options out there at the end of the season if last summer was any indication.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
he's a guy everybody likes. he's also supposedly good at managing headcases.

guess what? our team is really no longer a PR disaster.
You said it better than I did above, but that's exactly my feeling.

I'm not saying that he WILL be gone this summer, only that I could see it happening. If the front office doesn't see him as the type of coach they need any longer, why not let him take the Philly job?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>So Cal Blazer Fan</b>!

I'm not saying that he WILL be gone this summer, only that I could see it happening. If the front office doesn't see him as the type of coach they need any longer, why not let him take the Philly job?
I agree, but I think there's even another aspect in favor of this (which maybe you already factored in): if Philly wants Cheeks, it's going to cost them.

Maybe not a king's ransom, but perhaps a second rounder and/or some cash. Or maybe swapping first rounders. Or something.

So it won't be a matter of "letting Cheeks go home" (PR spin), or of getting a better coach (on-court impact) but also getting some more value for doing both.

Ed O.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I think if Portland could lock up either Doc Rivers or Byron Scott for next season, Mo would be in Philly.

Heck maybe even Jim O'Brian.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
If Cheeks wants to go back to Phili and there seems to be a spot open, let him go. Nice guy, can't coach! We know that!

So what coach would be great here? Sure Carlise but he's not going to leave the Pacers who are the best in the east to rebuild the Blazers. I just don't see that, he'll want a championship there first, and why shouldn't he?

I would love to have Buck Williams, smart guy, loved in Portland and all about the defense where this team lacks. Good selling point on all levels.

I might also look at Bill Lambeer. This guy might be a really good coach, he did well with the ladies and I bet for the right price he makes this team play some defense.

All the other coaches in the league of worth are locked into good teams and good contracts.

Let's face it outside of Carlise, Brown, Jackson and Pop it's kind of a crap shoot with coaches in the league. Going outside of the ordinary coaching fraternity might be the way to go.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
there will almost certainly be another huge shuffle of coaches this coming summer. maybe not as big as last summer, but still quite substantial.

even if the best available guy is just O'Brien, it's an upgrade over Cheeks.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theWanker</b>!
there will almost certainly be another huge shuffle of coaches this coming summer. maybe not as big as last summer, but still quite substantial.

even if the best available guy is just O'Brien, it's an upgrade over Cheeks.
Hire O'Brien and we will never see Miles, Woods, Outlaw, or maybe even Zach take off their warm-ups. The guy HATES young players. According to numerous sources, the reason he wanted out of Boston, is that he prefers a team of mediocre, but predictable vets to a team with young players that need developing.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I just can't believe how many coaches have taken a hit in the east already.

Unreal! Are you telling me that all these guys can't coach? :rolleyes: The players have to take some of the load here don't ya think?

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Terrible</b>!
I just can't believe how many coaches have taken a hit in the east already.
15 teams in the East.
15 coaches of Eastern teams at the end of the 2002-03 season.
None of them still coaching the same team.
That's unbelievable!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Sir Charles hit it on the head when he said " the inmates are running the asylum!"

I still say there are only two coaches in the league that can't be fired! Jackson and Brown

Hell even Carlise got the boot and Scott too!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I like the idea of Buck Williams being our coach. But then again, we'd be trading Mo for another really nice guy with no successful coaching experience. What's the difference?

Bill Laimbeer might make a good coach, but I wouldn't want it to be here. Not unless he apologized for being a dirty player, and admitted he came in from out of bounds to catch that pass under the basket to win that game in finals!

I was young, and don't remember much more about that series, but I'll always be bitter about that.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I think you can probably add Jerry Sloan to that list.

Greg Popovic is probably not going anywhere anytime soon as well. heh, Tim Duncan could probably make Mo Cheeks seem invulnerable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts