Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it would be a great idea to draft martynas and bring back sabas as a big man coach there currantly playing on the same team Sabas/martynas

what do you guys think

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
If we don't trade the pick for a SG, I would be in favor of that idea.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
From a lot of scouting reports I've read, despite his height (7'3") He'll be a PF in this league. He's quick, but not strong. He's years away from contributing. I'll say he's as raw as Nedzad at this point.

·
Registered
69 Posts
How about no! This guy has bust written all over him. He is 7'3" tall and weighs only 230 lbs. Even if he gained 30 lbs he would still be severly under weight for his size. Just cause he is tutored by Sabonis doesn't mean he is gonna be as good as Sabonis. He is a rail thin, soft euro player that doesn't even have a true position. Who wants to wait 4 years to see if he developes into a decent player. He will never be a superstar though.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
QRICH said:
From a lot of scouting reports I've read, despite his height (7'3") He'll be a PF in this league. He's quick, but not strong. He's years away from contributing. I'll say he's as raw as Nedzad at this point.
-->Here's a site with some of Nedzad's recent stats. Click on Teams at the left. Click on Verviers-Pepinster, then scroll down to the bottom. You can click on individual games that they've played, then view his stats from there.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Nedzad stats link

http://www.b-all.be/basketball/2003-2004/belgian_cup.htm

i find it funny that this is a marty thread yet finally we realize that we already have a 7'3 euro project who is actually starting to play very well...he is in a bad league but who cares...that game in which he played 33 minutes he played incredible it seems....i am excited about him and HA because you would hope that between those two we would end up with one solid backup center

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I agree with the opinion that he sounds more like a forward than a center. Whether he'll be the next Dirk or the next Nicoloz is the big question.

Taking him top 4 or 5 seems pretty risky. I would hope there are guys with just as much upside but lower risk available.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Even if he is a PF rather than a C, we'll need a backup PF for Zach at least as much as a C, if not more, and a 7'3" one sounds good, especially with Zach's lack of height. A frontline rotation of Zach, Ha, Nedzad and him sounds pretty decent to me.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
If we're talking about projects, what about 7'0" 17 year old Aleksandrov?

Here's the quandary with Aleksandrov. Every scout who sees him practice is in love with his talent, to the point several will claim he's the most-skilled player in the draft. Every scout who sees him play, however, walks away disappointed. Aleksandrov has all the fundamentals you could ask for, but so far he doesn't show them in games. Two or three years ago, his talent alone would've guaranteed him a high lottery pick. Now? Given what has happened with guys like Nikoloz Tskitishvili, scouts are much more careful. Bottom line? Scouts still feel Aleksandrov is a lottery pick based on his talent, but he has moved down to the 10-15 range. In an ideal world, he'd stay in Europe a couple of years, prove his worth on the court and work his way to No. 1. In the real world, chances are he'll stay in the draft.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
BlazerFanFoLife said:
Gambitnut i hope your kidding right? Draft, how many Center prospects do we need? Take Greene or a proven College player. Maybe Splitter
Note that I was counting on at least one of them playing backup PF, not C. I agree that we have greater needs than Center, notably SG, but we also need a backup PF and Martynas might be the best player available. We can always trade for our SG, either a proven NBA player or a middle of the first round draft pick, to possibly use on someone like Garcia, a proven college player.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am more in favor of takeing green or a SG but id take martynas before splitter/taft

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
gambitnut said:
Even if he is a PF rather than a C, we'll need a backup PF for Zach at least as much as a C, if not more, and a 7'3" one sounds good, especially with Zach's lack of height. A frontline rotation of Zach, Ha, Nedzad and him sounds pretty decent to me.

Have you seen a picture of this kid? The Olson twins could beat this guy up! *Maybe* he can some day grow into an NBA player, but I hope it isn't on the Blazers' dime.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
This team needs NO MORE over 7' projects!!!

Ha and Nedzad are enough. Work with them first.

We need ready-to-go Basketball players on this team. No more athletic freaks either. Fundamentally sound basketball players!!!!

Bogut - Williams - Green or trade down or out.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
We need ready-to-go Basketball players on this team. No more athletic freaks either. Fundamentally sound basketball players!!!!

Bogut - Williams - Green or trade down or out.
Selecting Green seems totally at odds with your first paragraph. Not that I'm vehemently opposed to picking Green, but if you don't want an athletic freak who's not ready to play in the NBA, then you don't want Green.

Ha and Nedzad should have almost nothing to do with whom we pick, IMO. Those guys were second rounders for a reason, and while we each hold out varying levels of hope for their futures, IF the team is interested in Andriuskevicius it will be because he's a potential star or superstar.

Ed O.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I ixnay that plan. Martynas doesn't seem like he will pan out. We have a project, getting Sabas as a big man coach would be a great idea. I think we need to draft a PF and dump the 2 we have.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
barfo said:
I would pay to watch that.

barfo
It is a little known fact that the Olson twins have been working as a tag-team for an underground MMA circuit.

Their first bout was a victory over the Duff sisters, as Mary-Kate submitted Hillary with a rear naked choke.

They lost their 2nd fight when both twins were battered into an (even lower) state of consciousness by Paris "Headbutt" Hilton.

They rebounded for a big win over the Simpson sisters in match #3, when Ashley challenged Jessica Simpson to use the word "Pitsnoggle" in a sentence. The gunshot like reports from all those cranial blood vessels rupturing caused the ref to stop the fight.

Martynas would have only one thing going for him.......they sure as heck won't steal his lunch money!

:boxing:

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I think drafting Andirukevicius at #5 or #6 is an incredibly risky move for POR. The guy is NOT EVEN CLOSE from all acoounts to NBA level of play. He is barely playing in euroleague, and has really underperformed when he does play. I really think we are talking a 3-4 year project that MAY or MAY NOT even pan out to a MARGINAL NBA player.....In this case Tskitishvilli is a good comparison....

VERY YOUNG bench player....who shows amazing tools & physical ability in PRACTICE, has great size, but has shown NOTHING in limited game action.

If that doesn't sound risky, then I don't know what does.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
hoopshype having him go #1 and that he is the "euro shaq"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts