Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paul Millsap. He is undersized by NBA standards but thats what they said about Brand too. He has led the NCAA in rebounding for 3 years, tremendous accomplishment, and shows he is dedicated to doing the dirty work along with putting up 19 points. I haven't seen much of him, but seems like a player the Nets could use. 6'8, 243 blue collared, do the dirty work player who has some post moves. Any input?

· Burned
18,770 Posts
He makes sense, but he doesn't fit the famous "draft profile".

The Nets amost always take players who are tall for their positions.

Millsap is definitely a good possibility, especially if he is a legit 6'8".

· Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
netsgiants said:
I just want somebody who wants to rebound and defend. Even if he is undersized he has a big wingspan and its not easy to push 243 pounds around in the post. We don't need another scorer, just a finisher, rebounder, defender like him. He also averaged 2.2 blocks.
What you want is one thing and how Thorn approaches the draft is another.

For me, after spending most of last summer arguing against Thorn's proposed moves, I've figured the easy thing is to just imagine what I wouldn't do and then expect Thorn to do that. At this point, I expect the Nets to draft Augustine and Novak.

· Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
netsgiants said:
I don't think so this year, I think if he takes a Euro it will be with the second round. I think Thorn understands we have to make a championship run and not build with these european prospects, but the NBA ready college players. We only got 3-4 years before the clock strikes 12.
Euro isn't necessarily part of the draft profile, but size for the position is. Millsap doesn't have size for his position.

· Burned
18,770 Posts
netsgiants said:
You don't think if Ike Diogu was there last year or Sean May he wouldn't of taken them? They both were undersized.
I think he would have taken Villanueva, but not Diogu or May.

As it stands now, he would have been right.

· Registered
13,167 Posts
I am not going to dismiss a profile that produced KMart, RJ, Collins, Krstic.

Last June, the New York Times and ESPN did independent analysis of which team has the best draft record based on draft position, success, longevity with the team, etc. In one, the Nets came in fourth, the other fifth.

Millsap is listed on most draft boards at 6-7. If he is a legitimate 6'8"--which I doubt, he isn't a bad choice, but his level of competition is hardly inspired. Louisiana Tech? I tend to doubt the heights of power forwards from the NCAA. WHen Hakim Warrick was measured at Chicago last year, he came out at 6' 7 1/4" in bare feet. He had been listed at 6' 9".

· Volleyball Coach
24,889 Posts
NetIncome said:
I am not going to dismiss a profile that produced KMart, RJ, Collins, Krstic.

Last June, the New York Times and ESPN did independent analysis of which team has the best draft record based on draft position, success, longevity with the team, etc. In one, the Nets came in fourth, the other fifth.

Millsap is listed on most draft boards at 6-7. If he is a legitimate 6'8"--which I doubt, he isn't a bad choice, but his level of competition is hardly inspired. Louisiana Tech? I tend to doubt the heights of power forwards from the NCAA. WHen Hakim Warrick was measured at Chicago last year, he came out at 6' 7 1/4" in bare feet. He had been listed at 6' 9".
I'm not dismissing it, rather it just makes me look at the Nets potential draft choices differently. Size and knees, never dismiss the importance of size and knees.

· Registered
1,392 Posts
ghoti said:
I think he would have taken Villanueva, but not Diogu or May.

As it stands now, he would have been right.
He was going to take May. I remember Stefanski had some good things to say about him at their workout. Plus I dont think anyone expected Charlotte or Minn to take him to it was assumed we would take him.

Plus if you heard Thorn after the draft he, himself said the bigs they wanted to draft were gone by the time they picked. He had to be talking about May because realistically he was the only "big" we had a legit shot at. If Charlotte did not take May, he would have been a Net. I'm not complaining or anything, just stating a fact.

· Burned
18,770 Posts
Infinet said:
He was going to take May. I remember Stefanski had some good things to say about him at their workout. Plus I dont think anyone expected Charlotte or Minn to take him to it was assumed we would take him.

Plus if you heard Thorn after the draft he, himself said the bigs they wanted to draft were gone by the time they picked. He had to be talking about May because realistically he was the only "big" we had a legit shot at. If Charlotte did not take May, he would have been a Net. I'm not complaining or anything, just stating a fact.
That is not a fact. It is your reasonably thought out opinion.

In any case, if you are right, I should send a nice note to Bernie Bickerstaff.

Personally, I don't think they had any intention of taking May. If he thought the Nets were definitely going to take him, he wouldn't have lobbied so hard to come here.

Reactions: Petey
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.