Normally these threads are started draft night. And if I hadn't been out at a draft party I probably would have done it myself. Anyway, my initial thoughts:
- New Orleans- Obviously they got the Unibrower, but i love the Austin Rivers selection too. If they can turn around and work out a Gordon for Granger swap with Indy they may be in the playoff picture next year. And if they can Williams into signing then contention is basically a year away.
- Philadelphia- When I was growing up these guys were Boston's real rival, and I used to hate them. It's hard for me to hate them these days because I love the guys on this team, and walking away from draft night with Moe Harkless & Arnett Moultrie is huge (especially since I expect them to amnesty Brand).
- Boston- Sullinger slips to them at 21, which would seem to spell an end to the Celtics career of the guy that would have been the surefire #1 pick if only he were 50lbs bigger, and they use 22 on Melo. Normally that'd be a mixed bag except that intial reports (including quotes from the front office) indicate that the Hawks love Melo, so I'm viewing him as Josh Smith bait. And if that works this draft is a huge win for Boston. Kris Joseph is Mikael Pietrus insurance, and probably spells the end of the E'Twan Moore era. I guess he won't be starting in Boston after all either.
- Detroit- At #9 you have to take a swing at Drummond. If he pans out they've got two starting quality NBA centers, which makes it a lot easier to take the next step (because teams are always looking for centers). I also love their second round. I'm a big believer in Khris Middleton and think that he can be an above average NBA starter. I also love Kim English, who I expect to have a decent career as a backup 2.
- Toronto- I'm probably one of the few people outside Raptor Nation that likes their draft. After years of seeing DeMar DeRozan's masonry getting to see a shooting guard that can actually shoot will probably be a novelty for Toronto fans. I also love Quincy Acy. He's the sort of swing forward that every team needs on their bench.
- Charlotte- Gained a couple of real solid wings to go along with Benji Gordon & Gerry Henderson. Playing time for all these guys is destined to be a problem, though.
- Chicago- Rose is out so they drafted a future backup point guard. Tough to say how Teague works out under the circumstances.
- Indiana- Needed a big goofy white guy to replace Jeff Foster and got one.
- Cleveland- Waiters at #4 rates a WTF?, doubly so since he seems the exact opposite of what you'd be looking for in a running mate for Kyrie Irving. Tyler Zeller will probably be a decent starting center, though.
- Houston- If Lamb & White are part of a package to land Howard, this is a great draft. If Houston's keeping all of them someone needs to lace Morey's smart water with a massive dose of insecticide.
- Portland- You have the chance to trade #6 for a damned good NBA point guard, and you desperately need a damned good NBA point guard. What do you do? Why hold the pick and draft a guy that you pray will one day be as good as the guy you were offered is now. Of course, while you spend the next 3-4 years waiting on the new guy to develop your keystone player will just be getting older and you'll waste a good portion of his prime, but you're the Incrediblazers! And Incrediblazers don't ever trade kids.
So, you're Meyers Leonard, you're athletic, seven feet tall, a bad honky mofo. The future's bright, right? Sure you've had a knee injury and a stress fracture in the foot, but all you need to do is play reasonably well for the next four years and someone will offer you $10-$12 million per year. What could possibly go wrong? Enter the Trailblazer Curse. Pity, Mr. Leonard. You coulda been a contender. Seriously, Portland, What the ****? Have you not paid attention to your franchise's history? Don't ****ing draft a center. Just don't do it. Even Bill Walton could only hold off that curse for a few years. And only then by the power of that beard. Christ it hunted down and killed Arvydas Sabonis despite his best attempts to escape it.
- Phoenix- Kendall Marshall? Really?
- Denver- Ivanna Fournier? Are they expecting to play in the WNBA? Izzit Turkeymaltz? Yes. What a terrible idea for a beer.