1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by busted rim
Looks like this is final-check out sportsline:
http://sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,5561706_54,00.html
What do you think?
Basically this a straight up Miles for Miller trade with the other players having little value. I think both teams got what they wanted. The Clipps are set, Wagner will be the X-factor for the Cavs.
I think the Cavaliers would have been better off making the Draft Day trade when Odom was involved, but I guess Miles is their man. Here's the story from ESPN...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miller, Stith will head west for Miles, Jamison

Andre Miller was nearly traded to the Clippers on the night of the NBA draft last month.

The second time around seems to have worked out better for the Cavaliers, who have agreed to a deal that will send Miller to Los Angeles.

Miller, the NBA's assist leader last season, and forward Bryant Stith will be sent to the Clippers for forwards Darius Miles and Harold Jamison in a deal that will be finalized Tuesday morning, a Cavs team source told ESPN Insider's Chad Ford.

The 6-foot-2 Miller averaged 10.9 assists last season for the Cavs, but he can become a restricted free agent after this season and had told Cleveland he wants a maximum contract.

But the team, which owner Gordon Gund has denied he is selling, didn't plan to offer Miller a new deal until he become an unrestricted free agent next season.

In exchange for Miller, the Cavs are getting Miles, a 6-foot-9 bundle of energy and athleticism the club hopes can help sell tickets at Gund Arena next season and beyond.

He averaged 9.5 points and 5.5 rebounds last season and helped the Clippers partially shed their sad-sack image as one of the league's worst teams.

Miles, who will turn 21 in October, was the No. 3 overall pick in the 2000 NBA draft out of high school. He averaged 9.4 points in 81 games as a rookie, and showed flashes he could be a future All-Star.

Miller has also emerged as one of the NBA's rising stars, and the former Utah standout would be returning to his hometown to play with the Clippers.

Miller's departure would mean the Cavs need a point guard. That job could go to Dajuan Wagner, a shooting guard who was taken by Cleveland with the sixth overall pick in last month's draft.

Wagner has played well during the Cavs' summer league games.

The source said Los Angeles general manager Elgin Baylor stayed in contact with the Cavs over the past few weeks after the prospective deal on draft night fell through in hopes he could rework the trade.

The Clippers have two point guards on their roster -- Keyon Dooling, who was limited to 14 games last season, his second in the NBA, due to a severely sprained left ankle, and 23-year-old Marko Jaric, a second-round draft pick two years ago who they signed to a multiyear contract three weeks ago. Jaric has been playing in the Italian League.

Jeff McInnis, the starter last season, is an unrestricted free agent who has yet to be signed. His backup, Earl Boykins, was released by the Clippers last month.

Jamison, 25, was signed as a free agent by the Clippers shortly before the start of last season. He averaged 1.9 points and 1.6 rebounds in 25 games.

Stith, 31, missed 12 games last season because of a hip flexor and underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee last week. He is not expected to miss the start of training camp in October.

The 6-5 Stith, who was signed as a free agent last August, averaged 4.2 points in 50 games.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Fair trade

Fair trade all the way around. The Cav's wanted two young stud players for Miller (ie: Odom and pick as prev discussed), but insisted on Miles which meant they only get the one young stud. I wonder if this includes Miller signing with the Clips ? Miller's trade value was overrated as he is coming up on big bucks and getting multiple/quality young players in return was unrealistic. They were obviously not interested in players making big bucks (ie Sprewell). I didn't want Miles to go because he will be a good to great one. The Cav's were pointed at Miles because they get him cheap for the next three years. This trade is fair and fills a need for both teams. I am surprised the Clippers come out of this with their picks staying home, as they still have a nice future backing up the present - I think both Wilcox and Ely will do better than expected - Ely much sooner than Wilcox.

Bully

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Fellas!

Darius Miles has a LONG WAY TO GO before he's an Andre Miller-caliber player. Keep in mind that Miles will be a restricted free agent in just TWO YEARS--Miller will be a restricted free agent in ONE YEAR.

BOTTOM LINE: The Clippers suddenly have four guys (Miller, Odom, Brand, and Olowokandi) who all have LEGITIMATE SHOTS at making next year's All-Star Game--however, the team has NO CHANCE at finishing higher than fifth in the West, which means that, barring a major upset, the Clips, despite having such a talented starting five, won't even make it out of the first round of the playoffs. AND, next summer, Elgin Baylor is faced with the impossible task of re-signing these four dudes!

AND, the Cavs go from bad to worse. A 1-2 punch of Dajuan Wagner and Darius Miles COULD turn out to be "something special" in a couple of seasons, but it PROBABLY WON'T; in any event, the Cavs will REALLY STRUGGLE to win more than 20 ballgames next season, and should compete with Denver and Golden State for the league's worst record. KEEP IN MIND that, even if the Cavs go 0-82, they STILL only have a 25% chance at winning the #1 overall pick in the draft (i.e., Lebron James) next May. Take a look at this GODAWFUL 2002-03 starting lineup:

PG Dajuan Wagner (#1 in the league in turnovers AND missed shots next season, in all likelihood)
SG Ricky Davis (the next Eddie Robinson, which isn't a good thing)
SF Lamond Murray
PF Darius Miles (still a very raw player, folks!)
C Zydrunas Ilgauskus

Yep, looks like a 17-65 team to me! GOD that team SUCKS!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts