Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We all remember the 1992 Original Dream Team, which will never be duplicated again, but if I put the current version of stars together, check the team out. This is probably not as good in terms of what the guys in 2002 have accomplished, but fairly comparable in talent to the 1992 team.

1992 - Jordan, Pippen, Drexler, Ewing, Stockton, Mullin, Barkely, Bird, Magic, David Robinson, Malone

Now for the 2002 Team:

Shaq - Centre - No Argument - best centre in NBA

Tim Duncan - - Power forward - Best inside scorer apart from Shaq, satisfies rebounding, interior defence and shotblocking, all in one player.

Kevin Garnett - Small Forward - Best allround player in the NBA, can score inside, outside, rebound and pass. Will cause matchup problems everywhere due to his 6"11 height. Will use his length and athletisicm to play great defense.

Kobe Bryant - Shooting Guard - With all the attenion on Shaq and Duncan Kobe can go one on one with his defender and score at will. If they double Kobe, well he can kick it out to one of the other stars on the Dream Team. Great one on one defender, has long arms to defend other teams shooting guards.

Jason Kidd - Point Guard - We need someone to get the ball to the stars and someone who will share at all times. look no further then this guy. Will play great defense on the opposing teams point guard.

Bench

Gary Payton - Point Guard - Will split the time with Kidd. Can come off the bench and score and also pass to other guys. can come on to stop the hot hand, or post up smaller guards defending him.

Paul Pierce - Great jumpshooter - Can come in to replace KG, or Bryant if either is struggling with their shooting and heat up. Also can get some steals and blocks.

Chris Webber - We need someone to sub for Duncan and this guy can give us the most offense, without losing too much rebounding and passing out of the post.

Ben Wallace - We need a guy not looking for shots who will defend with the best of them. He can sub for Shaq or Duncan and rebound, hustle and block some penetrating guards shots. A must for this team is Ben Wallace. Defensive player of the year - but is he Dream Team material??

McGrady - Can play the two or three. Instant offense and excitement of the bench. Can also come in to defend the hot hand score outside and inside, look to come in and draw some fouls.

Ray Allen - Not sure if he can compare with the above guys, but if we need a three pointer at a crucial time he can come in and hit it. If he struggles with his shot sub him out for other stars.

Jermaine O'Neal - Will not get a lot of playing time but this team has enough scorers and he is an up and coming top notch defensive player who has not showed all of what he can do just yet. Can come in . rebound, block shots and score inside.

This is the 12 man roster, who does not deserve to be on it and who does. Come on lets discuss it here. Haters, bring it on!!!
Remember we can't have 12 pure scorers on the team and 12 shooting guards!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
You left out Hakeem from the 92 dream team. He was a big part of that team. The 92 dream team was the best basketball team ever assembled.

Our top players would make a great dream team but they will never be as good as the 92 dream team

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Pretty good roster, I'd say. I could go along with that roster easily. Too bad they won't play together for the next olympics.

Would they beat the '92 team? Nobody will ever know, it cannot EVER be proven, hence it is impossible for anybody to give anything more than their personal opinion.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Hakeem was not a US citizen in '92 and was not on that team. They used a college player named Laettner. :D

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Your right Rifleman my bad but he did play on the 96 dream team

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Lets give the EDGES to the MATCHUPS of the 92 Dream Team and the "current" team kingofkings just made:

1992 vs 2002

C - Ewing vs Shaq EDGE: 2002

PF Malone vs Duncan EDGE: TIE

SF Bird vs Garnett EDGE: 1992

SG MJ vs Kobe EDGE: 1992

PG Magic vs Kidd EDGE: 1992

Bench:

B Wallace vs D-Rob EDGE: 1992

J ONeal/Webber vs Barkley EDGE: 1992

Pierce/T-mac vs Pippen/Mullin EDGE: TIE

Ray Allen vs Clyde EDGE: 1992

Payton vs Stockton EDGE: 1992

*** Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
<i>1992 vs 2002

C - Ewing vs Shaq EDGE: 2002(3 rings to 0 rings)

PF Malone vs Duncan EDGE: TIE(0 rings to 1 ring)

SF Bird vs Garnett EDGE: 1992(3 rings to 0 rings)

SG MJ vs Kobe EDGE: 1992(6 rings to 3 rings)

PG Magic vs Kidd EDGE: 1992(5 rings to 0 rings)

Bench:

B Wallace vs D-Rob EDGE: 1992(0 rings to 1 ring)

J ONeal/Webber vs Barkley EDGE: 1992(0 rings to 0 rings)

Pierce/T-mac vs Pippen/Mullin EDGE: TIE(0 rings to 6 rings)

Ray Allen vs Clyde EDGE: 1992(0 rings to 1 ring)

Payton vs Stockton EDGE: 1992(0 rings to 0 rings)

22 rings (ooops)for the '92 class to 7 for the 2002 class. :D

</i>

After all, as most say - WINNING it all counts a lot, doesn't it???

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Pierce/T-mac vs Pippen/Mullin EDGE: TIE
Change of opinion, this edge goes to the 92 Dream Team as well. Pierce has only gone to the playoffs once and T-mac is yet to get out of the first round. Pippen and Mullin had accomplished much more then that by 92 and further.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Ewing vs Shaq-2002
Malone vs Duncan-2002
Garnett vs Bird-1992
MJ vs KB-1992
Magic vs Jkidd-1992

Bench-

J O'Neal vs D Rob-1992
Webber vs Barkely- 2002
Pierce/TMac vs Pippen/Mullin- 2002
Iverson vs Clyde -2002
Payton vs Stockton-2002

Overall I think the 1992 team wins with the starting Line-up the 2002 would have an advantage off the bench. Had to put Iverson on that list. Would be really close though BIRD may not have had a big advantage because at that point in his career he was toast, his back was bad and he wasn't really playing well anymore,Magic was also on the downturn in his career in 92.

Good Post

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!
<i>1992 vs 2002

C - Ewing vs Shaq EDGE: 2002(3 rings to 0 rings)

PF Malone vs Duncan EDGE: TIE(0 rings to 1 ring)

SF Bird vs Garnett EDGE: 1992(3 rings to 0 rings)

SG MJ vs Kobe EDGE: 1992(6 rings to 3 rings)

PG Magic vs Kidd EDGE: 1992(5 rings to 0 rings)

Bench:

B Wallace vs D-Rob EDGE: 1992(0 rings to 1 ring)

J ONeal/Webber vs Barkley EDGE: 1992(0 rings to 0 rings)

Pierce/T-mac vs Pippen/Mullin EDGE: TIE(0 rings to 6 rings)

Ray Allen vs Clyde EDGE: 1992(0 rings to 1 ring)

Payton vs Stockton EDGE: 1992(0 rings to 0 rings)

22 rings (ooops)for the '92 class to 7 for the 2002 class. :D

</i>

After all, as most say - WINNING it all counts a lot, doesn't it???
That's not a very fair comparison-the 2002 players still have a chance to win more titles..

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
couldn't agree more

kingofkings....

what you said... :yes: x 3!

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
You're all forgetting the most important part. Bird and Magic were both retiring. Bird didn't even want to be on the team because his lower back was so bad. Bird wasn't even that much of a factor and spent most of the time laying on his stomach. Magic had just announced that he was HIV Positive and other teams were scared of him, because of lack of information. The team had the names and they definately had players to step in for Bird and Magic. Too bad they didn't play it in their prime, otherwise that team would have been unbeatable.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jvanbusk</b>!

or Pippen, who was a bigger jerk to Isiah than Jordan in my opinion.
Right but when they first showed jordan the list the committee made he said he wouldn't play if isiah was on the team. I don't think pippen had much of a say at least as much as jordan did.

·
Registered
924 Posts
IMX Dream Team 2002...

--STARTING LINEUP--
C - Shaquille O'Neal 7-1 350
PF - Tim Duncan 7-0 260
SF - Kevin Garnett 6-11 220
SG - Kobe Bryant 6-7 210
PG - Jason Kidd 6-4 212

--BENCH--
Dikembe Mutombo
Ben Wallace
Paul Pierce
Michael Jordan
Gary Payton
Tracy McGrady
Chris Webber

·
Registered
813 Posts
Original Dream Team

On the original Dream Team... Isiah Thomas should have been on it... I don't care what anyone says, he is one of the best point guards (if not the best) to have ever played the game... Man was a winner at every level he played at.... And I don't buy into the BS that he was a selfish player... He was competitive and he was a winner... I still can't believe people talk about the '86 All Star game when they thought he tried to "freeze" Jordan out...

I heard that was a big reason for him not making the original Dream Team... Surely you would put him on the team.... instead of Pippen... Come on!

JaK

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Wilt_The_Stilt</b>!

That's not a very fair comparison-the 2002 players still have a chance to win more titles..
Of course, it's fair. Many fans even on these forums talk about how <b>WINNING</b> gives one the edge, how winning is why they play the game, that the Lakers winning 3 straight counts for knowing <b>"HOW"</b> to win - so my comparison is as valid as all of those who use "winning" for their advantage in other discussions. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts