Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Age catches up with all of the greats and it caught the Dream, one of the 5 best centers of all time, imho.

I really hope that the Raptors can sign a diamond in the rough pf/center - just so Vince can have the help he deserves - as Antonio will have a big enough burden to carry, again.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Even though I do appreciate what he has done for the game of basketball, I am sure as hell happy that the fossil will now be retiring. I have heard many other things, such as him starting the season on the IR (According to the FAN 590) because he is so out of shape. I have also heard, that he will start the season on the IR, simply so the Raptors and Hakeem figure out a deal which would make the two sides happy.

Him retiring will majorly screw up our team. Not only will our team lack depth in the frontcourt, but our salary issues with his contract will only make things more difficult. Even if we in fact do get a Mid-Level Exception, GG would probably not even use it simply because of the salary cap problems we are facing.

It will give Jelani McCoy some time, because I know GG will most likely sign him, because he has agreed to participate in the Training Camp. I think there is something going on, because I don't think he would just come to Toronto without a guaranteed contract, so I think there might be something going on. He is a decent player, put some relief on our front court but we shall see what happens.

We can only see what will happen. Thanks Hakeem,:rolleyes:

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!
I really hope that the Raptors can sign a diamond in the rough pf/center - just so Vince can have the help he deserves - as Antonio will have a big enough burden to carry, again.
Well I think its more up to who we have. There won't be anymore big signings before the season that seem to be upcoming, but I think management has faith in the progress of our younger players.

Mama, Bradley, and big Nate will determine the depth in our frontcourt. If those players can contribute in the slightest way in comparison to last season (excluding Nate), our front court will have a added bonus.

but if our younger front court players can't contribute at our center/pf spot, we will be pretty weak coming off the bench at those spots.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Originally posted by <b>raptors32</b>!
oh yeah, props to Hakeem for a legendary career and its a honor to have him retire in a Raps uniform. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Well it doesn't really matter too much, because the Dream will go into the Hall of Fame as a Rocket and Patrick Ewing will go in as a Knick.

In 10 years no one will care that Ewing stuggled his final years in Seattle and Orlando, or Hakeem in Toronto. Although people may remember MJ's 3rd stint in the league as a Wizard because he's still being productive scoring over 24 ppg.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts