Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After enduring most of the season defending himself against the slings and arrows of Coach Joan Montes, Christian Drejer got a second chance when F. C. Barcelona fired him and chose a new coach, Manolo Flores.

The hiring of Flores was seen as a positive for several players who had been underutilized in Barcelona's most disappointing season in years.

Well, it hasn't worked. In a big Euroleague playoff game, Drejer got his start against archrival Real Madrid. Whoever won went to the Euroleague Final Four.

Drejer played 15 minutes, took one shot, a three, and missed it. He also had one rebound, one assist, one steal and two turnovers.

Barcelona is now out of the Euroleague competition but has a few games left in Spain where they hope to salvage a bad season. As noted before, Drejer has a $1 million player option for next year, but no buyout.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Sounds like he may want to get out of there, but do the Nets want to bring him over with all the questions that his last two seasons (in Florida and Barca) have raised?

I'd like to see him have a productive season somewhere before I gave this kid a contract.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As a second rounder, you can give him a partially guaranteed contract, have him spend some time in the Las Vegas Summer League and preseason and then make a decision. Only one player drafted after him is still in the league, I think, so no great loss.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
... not good, but after his contract bringing him over, putting him on a 1 or 2 year contract will not kill the team. We've seen what going from a unhappy situation, to a positive one can do for a player.

-Petey

·
Registered
481 Posts
NetIncome said:
After enduring most of the season defending himself against the slings and arrows of Coach Joan Montes, Christian Drejer got a second chance when F. C. Barcelona fired him and chose a new coach, Manolo Flores.

The hiring of Flores was seen as a positive for several players who had been underutilized in Barcelona's most disappointing season in years.

Well, it hasn't worked. In a big Euroleague playoff game, Drejer got his start against archrival Real Madrid. Whoever won went to the Euroleague Final Four.

Drejer played 15 minutes, took one shot, a three, and missed it. He also had one rebound, one assist, one steal and two turnovers.

Barcelona is now out of the Euroleague competition but has a few games left in Spain where they hope to salvage a bad season. As noted before, Drejer has a $1 million player option for next year, but no buyout.
I think you don't have the facts straight. Firstable, that game against Real Madrid was meaningless. Both teams were out of the competition. That's why Drejer started.

Secondly, there was no reason why that coach change should affect Drejer. The club has been going through a tough season in the front office, with many unexplainable changes due to the arrival of Valero Rivera (former handball coach in the club) as the responsible for all the F.C.Barcelona sections not named soccer. He chose Flores as the basketball GM, and both selected Montes as the team's coach after forcing Svetislav Pesic to leave.

Now, some people believe that Drejer is considered something like a poster boy from the previous Barcelona's front office, and that he wasn't playing partially because of it. Considering that Montes and Flores were together in all those changes, it's easy to see why he wouldn't play (given all this were true).

Anyway, I think Drejer has now a big confidence problem, and Barcelona is a tough place to get it back (especially since Aíto García Reneses, former coach who usually gave many chances to youngsters, is out), as it's a very competitive team where not winning is a total failure and the wings are star-stacked. Perhaps he should try in some other place where he could be a star, or even better, some place where he were forced to be a star.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for that. I did not understand the two Spanish teams were in a consolation game.

Drejer may be the Hamlet of Danish basketball. He is not likely to pick up confidence in the NBA however. If he had played well this year, he would have had trade value. Now, I think he has limited value except as a way to facilitate a sign-and-trade deal if the Nets can make such a deal.

It is unfortunate because he does have some skills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts