Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Which of the overpaid dudes below would you LEAST want on your team for 4 more years?

• Kelvin Cato (4 yrs, $30.9 mil remaining)

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Austin Croshere (4 yrs, $30.4 mil remaining)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Shandon Anderson (4 yrs, $28.0 mil remaining)

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Eddie Robinson (4 yrs, $26.0 mil remaining)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4 yrs, $25.9 mil remaining)

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Howard Eisley (4 yrs, $24. mil remaining)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Joe Smith (4 yrs, $22.7 mil remaining)

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Danny Fortson (4 yrs, $22.6 mil remaining)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Jerome Williams (4 yrs, $22.3 mil remaining)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shawn Bradley (4 yrs, $21.8 mil remaining)

Votes: 7 13.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dudes with terrible contracts... YOUR CHANCE TO VOTE!

Here are ten guys, all with FOUR YEARS left on their contracts, who are TOTALLY UNTRADEABLE. How about everybody out there rank the guys, starting with the LEAST desirable contract? Here is the list:

Kelvin Cato (4 yrs, $30.9 mil remaining)

Austin Croshere (4 yrs, $30.4 mil remaining)

Shandon Anderson (4 yrs, $28.0 mil remaining)

Eddie Robinson (4 yrs, $26.0 mil remaining)

Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4 yrs, $25.9 mil remaining)

Howard Eisley (4 yrs, $24.4 mil remaining)

Joe Smith (4 yrs, $22.7 mil remaining)

Danny Fortson (4 yrs, $22.6 mil remaining)

Jerome Williams (4 yrs, $22.3 mil remaining)

Shawn Bradley (4 yrs, $21.8 mil remaining)

I'll let somebody else start, then I'll chime in a little later on! Again, the guy whose contract you'd want on yr team's roster the LEAST, rank THAT dude #1, and so on all the way down to #10.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
1. Abdul-Wahad
2. Kelvin Cato
3. Howard Eisley
4. Shandon Anderson
5. Joe Smith
6. Shawn Bradley
7. Jerome Williams
8. Austin Croshere
9. Eddie Robinson
10. Danny Fortson

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Overall money outstanding is most important factor. Several players manage to sneak up list and pass players with more money outstanding because they have one single skill.

Joe Smith (4 yrs, $22.7 mil remaining) - Factor in the fines, suspensions and draft picks and this one blows away all competition and I see little hope it will ever be matched. In fact it may be the dumbest decision made in history. Period. Without those it falls to 8-10 range.

Austin Croshere (4 yrs, $30.4 mil remaining) - would rank in middle if had 22-25M remaining. Decent shooter

Kelvin Cato (4 yrs, $30.9 mil remaining) - same as Croshere. Decent rebounder and shotblocker

Shandon Anderson (4 yrs, $28.0 mil remaining)

Howard Eisley (4 yrs, $24.4 mil remaining)

Shawn Bradley (4 yrs, $21.8 mil remaining) - One dimensional Shot Blocker only. Not a good rebounder or offensive player.

Danny Fortson (4 yrs, $22.6 mil remaining) - One dimensional Rebounder.

Eddie Robinson (4 yrs, $26.0 mil remaining) Still hope. How do you give a guy this contract after 14 total career games?

Tariq Abdul-Wahad (4 yrs, $25.9 mil remaining) At least he plays some D unlike most of the others

Jerome Williams (4 yrs, $22.3 mil remaining)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, check out the voting results--I think it's interesting how we can't seem to decide which dude is the worst investment!

Here's my guess at how to rank the dudes, from WORST contract to, well, LEAST bad contract:

#10 (LEAST bad contract): Joe Smith. It's interesting that JoeF thinks that Smith is the WORST contract on this list, because I think he's the LEAST bad contract here! No doubt, he's not very good, but he's not THAT bad, he plays a lot of minutes for a team that finished fifth in the West last year. I guess that I think that it's not HIS fault that the Timberwolves got busted, it's Kevin McHale's fault--so I don't hold all that against the guy like JoeF does. STILL, the dude is WAY overpaid, obviously.

#9: Jerome Williams. Yeah, the dude doesn't even touch the floor for a .500 team--but he USED to be an excellent rebounder, defender, and team leader for the Pistons back in the day. MAYBE he'll put his injury problems behind him, it's hard to say. But I tend to give guys with injury problems the benefit of the doubt.

#8: Danny Fortson. Not only is the guy one of the worst shooters among PFs and Cs in the league (only Antonio Davis and Clifford Robinson had worse field goal percentages last year among PFs and Cs)--not only does the guy have one of the worst assist-to-turnover ratios in the league (only a handful of guys were worse, e.g., Alonzo Mourning, Michael Olowokandi, Erick Dampier, who are all CENTERS, which makes their turnovers more excusable)--not only is the guy the WORST shot-blocker among PFs and Cs in the league (among PFs and Cs who played in at least 70 games last year, only Slava Medvedenko had fewer blocks per game--yet Medvedenko played SIGNIFICANTLY fewer minutes per game than did Fortson, and averaged TWICE as many blocks per 48 minutes than did Fortson!)--not only does the guy have a bad temper (top 20 in the league in technicals last season)--BUT, Antawn Jamison is being moved to PF full-time next year, AND Troy Murphy needs to be developed as a backup, which means that Fortson can't even get minutes for one of the 3-4 worst teams in the league next year! Jesus!

#7: Eddie Robinson. Like JoeF pointed out earlier, at least the dude still has hope. Does he? He's got $26.0 mil coming to him over the next four years--is he ever going to start for the Bulls (or for anybody)? Will he ever be more than, say, the #5 or #6 scoring option for the Bulls (or for ANYBODY)? What makes this contract so inexcusable is, as JoeF pointed out, he put together about 15 good games for the Hornets at the end of his final season in Charlotte, and Jerry Krause signed him on the basis of those 15 games to a huge contract. Krause made some pretty dumb moves there for 2-3 years--the Bulls would be WAY under the salary cap, and Krause couldn't get ANYBODY to sign--so, for whatever retarded reason, he spent the money ANYWAY on mediocrities like Ron Mercer and Eddie Robinson.

#6: Shawn Bradley. Let's see, the guy was a huge bust, he was ridiculously overpaid--and THEN somebody RE-SIGNED him to ANOTHER big contract? Who did that? Does anybody remember? Don Nelson? Sure, he is a good shot-blocker--but of COURSE he's a good shot-blocker, what is he, 7'6"? And that's ALL he can do--he KILLS you in every other way. Hell, he's not even a good defender, despite the blocked shots.

#5: Austin Croshere. It's hard to know who to blame here, Donnie Walsh for re-signing the guy to such a huge extension, or Isiah Thomas for not playing him. We all saw how solid he was a couple of years ago in the playoffs, but the Pacers could've signed him to about half as much as they gave him and they'd STILL be overpaying the guy! Bottom line: any time a guy is sitting at the end of your bench and making more than the league minimum, he's overpaid!

#4: Kelvin Cato. This guy wasn't the first big stiff to get a ton of money for being, well, BIG (Jon Koncak and Jim McIlvaine are two prominent examples, but there are many, many more), and he won't be the last, either. But JESUS, did they have to give him THAT much MONEY? Four more years and $20 mil total would be bad enough, but at LEAST understandable--but four more years and $30.4 MILLION is NOT!

#3: Shandon Anderson. Here is a guy who was a solid young backup back in the day, but somebody who showed NO INDICATION that he would ever be anything more than a SOLID BACKUP. And, as we all know, he's not even being given a chance to be a SOLID BACKUP in New York, despite the fact that he is being PAID like a solid STARTER! Why did the Knicks sign this guy to this deal when they already had Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell to begin with? Why wasn't Frank Layden fired two years ago?

#2: Howard Eisley. The dude was a mediocre backup in Utah; when Jerry Sloan plugged the dude into the offense to give John Stockton a breather, he had Karl Malone to toss the ball to, and plenty of nice veterans like Jeff Hornacek and Bryon Russell who made that offense run like a charm. The dude is the third-string point guard for a team with a lousy first-string point guard (Charlie Ward), that tells you all you need to know!

#1 (WORST CONTRACT): Tariq Abdul-Wahad. He doesn't make the MOST money of the dudes on this list, but he seems to be the only one who DOESN'T TOUCH THE FLOOR, besides Howard Eisley, who MIGHT touch the floor for the Knicks now that Mark Jackson has been shipped off. This guy never did a THING in the NBA, I can't remember him ever flashing an OUNCE of potential. Dan Issel may be the worst GM in NBA history.

EVERYBODY VOTE! Everybody rank the dudes! Let's hear what everybody has to say!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You left out Nazr Mohammed!

Originally posted by Hotlantadude198
We have lots of these players!

Shareef
Alan Henderson
Toni Kukoc
Chris Crawford

are all on bloated contracts
The Hawks are in terrible financial shape, AND they SUCK! Whoever their GM is needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY and NEVER given another job in the NBA ever AGAIN! Period! What's his name? Pete Babcock? I mean, Alan Henderson? Chris Crawford? What?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Write in Vote

Alan Houston not sure the exact numbers but in the neighborhood of $100 million, which will insure Knicks being mediocre at best for the next x number of years, especially when the other contracts on the team are like Andersons.

runners up-2. Abdul Wahad 3. Eisley 4. Bradley

·
Registered
119 Posts
i had to go with smith. it was the least he could do to stay with minnesota after taking away all those draft picks.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Erick Dampier

Dampier is signed to 54 mil over the nest 4 years

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
How did yuo guys forget KVH...

Hes guna be makin 16 mil next year!:no:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Re: You left out Nazr Mohammed!

I like Shareef,but I think he gets somewhere around 14 million
per year.He should at round 9 million.5 million should be shaved
off.But I maybe off on the money though.

Yes Pete Babcock...

-Drafted Stacy Augmon at 9th
-Drafted Ed Gray
-Drafted Rumeal Robinson and even though we got Mookie for this
bust it still shows Babcock can't draft
-Drafted Alan Henderson at 15th when Finley was still in draft
-Trade Nique when the Hawks were in first place
in the eastern conference for Danny Manning
-Traded for JR Rider and Jim Jackson
-Blamed the Hawks failures on Lenny Wilkens
Traded Lorenzen Wright for Q Richardson/Wilcox(two first
rounders that turned into those guys)
-Had Jon Koncak making more money than MJ
-Traded for Ken Normans bloated contract
-Hired Lon Kruger instead of Doc Rivers who wanted
to come and coach here
-Cliff Robinson wanted to come here as a FA back in the
mid 90's but Babcock didn't return phone calls.

We could have had:Blaylock/Smith/Robinson/Leattner/Mutombo
but Babcock ****ed it up.Robinson was a 20PPG scorer back
then

Yep that's Pete Babcock.

Originally posted by robyg1974

The Hawks are in terrible financial shape, AND they SUCK! Whoever their GM is needs to be fired IMMEDIATELY and NEVER given another job in the NBA ever AGAIN! Period! What's his name? Pete Babcock? I mean, Alan Henderson? Chris Crawford? What?

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Joe Smith got my vote, he's a main reason why the T-Wolves are stuck in the first round. To tell you the truth, I don't know what hurt more:

The deals he got from Minnesota that ended with him being "Freed" and with the T-Wolves getting this penalty. Or him actually resigning and playing with the Wolves.

-Tim

·
Registered
694 Posts
Joe Smith is definately the reason that the Twolves are going no where and all the players for the Wolves know it. They just dont want to say it to the press.

·
Registered
67 Posts
juwan howard, he gets paid more then 98% of the league. and his gain to fame is being part of the fab 5, fouling derek anderson & having herpes.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fellas!

I purposefully left off some of the guys you are mentioning--Juwan Howard, Keith Van Horn, Allan Houston, Michael Stewart, Erick Dampier. I left off Howard, Horn, and Houston because, while all are obviously overpaid, at LEAST they are good players! Stewart I left off because, while he is worthless, he is making way less money than the guys on the list. Erick Dampier, well, there's ANOTHER overpaid guy, but he's not a bad starting NBA center, and I happen to think that if he ever got traded to a contender, his contract wouldn't look quite so bad. Centers will always make more money than guys at other positions, that's a fact of life.

The guys on the list all have four more years left on bad contracts, they are all making ROUGHLY the same amount of money (Shawn Bradley averages $5.5 mil/year, Kelvin Cato averages $7.7 mil/year), so I think they all belong in roughly the same category.

So, everybody has voted?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts