Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
5,211 Posts
He's walking on at Siena, interesting.

And he wouldn't have been "circumventing" the AE transfer rules if he went to a JuCo - that had a negative connotation, IMHO. That's an allowable option according to the NCAA. He's not doing anything illegal or unethical. The "penalty" he'd pay would be not playing with the school he wants to go to.

Anyone at Albany thinks he could have made an impact there?

· Registered
1,939 Posts
It's the league's 2-year rule a JUCO would circumvent, not an NCAA 1-year rule.

Duell at Albany would be a role player at best, unless he developed an on-court attitude to go bang inside.

· Registered
5,211 Posts
Once Duell leaves UVM to go to a JuCo (if he went that road), the AE transfer rule wouldn't apply since he's not going from AE to AE. Accordingly, he's then "governed" by the JuCo transfer rules, that's the loophole.

The AE rule is 2 years. The NCAA rule covers JuCo transfers.

· Registered
1,939 Posts
Exactly. If he goes from AE to AE, he misses two years. By going to a JUCO in between, he only misses one year. He uses the NCAA JUCO rule to circumvent (Latin for 'go around') the intent of the AE rule, which I'd guess is to prevent schools from raiding other conference schools for players - not really the case here anyway.

· Registered
5,211 Posts
I think at one time there was a clause in the AE/NAC bylaws which permitted the school losing the player to "waive" the two year requirement, but I don't remember it happening in the recent past.

Thanks for the latin lesson. ;)

· Registered
2,605 Posts
Let me make sure I understand this. If he enrolled at HVCC, then he could have transferred to Albany and avoided the AE 2 year rule. If he played at HVCC, though, he would have only had one year of eligibility left once he got to Albany -- correct? Of course, he might not have been eligible to play at HVCC since he's already played 2 years of college ball. And, presumably he wouldn't have made much meaningful academic progress -- since he's a junior who'd be attending a 2 year school.

If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like Albany couldn't have been much of a consideration once he learned the rules. Good luck to him.

· Registered
402 Posts
NU Hoop Fan said:
I think at one time there was a clause in the AE/NAC bylaws which permitted the school losing the player to "waive" the two year requirement, but I don't remember it happening in the recent past.

Thanks for the latin lesson. ;)

Actually, according to the current AE by-laws a new rule will go into effect this August where that can happen. According to the new rule the AD at the school from which the Athlete has transfered can waive the AE rule and go strictly by the NCAA rule which states that the player would have to sit out 1 year but would not loose any eligibility. If the AD will not give the player a wavier then the school he transfered to can appeal to the AE and thier decision will be final.

· Registered
5,211 Posts
Then the AE rule didn't exist when I was in school because Jose Powell transferred from UNH to NU and only had to sit one year. I stand corrected.

If Duell went to a JuCo and didn't play basketball AND he met certain academic requirements (I think he'd have to do something akin to having enough credits to graduate from the JuCo), he wouldn't lose a "playing year" and would still have two years. They key is he doesn't lose a playing year if he doesn't play for the JuCo.

Steve Hailey is at Roxbury CC and is trying to transfer to a D-1 school (Northeastern's been mentioned in the press). If Hailey gets enough transferrable credits to a D-1 school, he can play right away and still have two years.

Albany could have been a consideration for Duell, if Albany accepted his JuCo credits and he was on pace to graduate. He couldn't play with his JuCo team and he couldn't practice with Albany, so it's almost like a "hiatus" year.

· Registered
1,812 Posts
NU Hoop Fan said:
Then the AE rule didn't exist when I was in school because Jose Powell transferred from UNH to NU and only had to sit one year. I stand corrected.
I don't know, I seem to recall a two year rule even back then. I remember the UNH kid who transferred to Hofstra to be closer to home after his girl friend had a baby. Did UNH release him from his scholarship to allow it or just waive the two year rule??????? I remember UNH being given a lot of credit for doing the "right thing" for the player and not being selfish. Was there anything similar with Powell?

· Premium Member
34,581 Posts
Well, with the possiblity of his role at UVM either being a productive role player or impact starter/potential captain Duell erased any doubt because he will probably be nothing more than a role player for Siena.

And having to pay one year full tuition......well, at least everyone's happy, and that's all you can ask for. This move doesn't make much basketball or financial sense to me, but whatever, I'm a little biased.

· Registered
1,863 Posts
The way I see it, even talented players aren't much of an asset if they don't want to be there.
I wish him the best of luck.
I would agree with the assessment that he will be at best a role player.

As previously discussed some returning players had a really tough time transitioning from a TB program to a Lonergan program. They have much different styles.

I wish that Duell and Lonergan could have worked through it. Next year could have been a very good year here for Duell.

Now that he has transferred he says his weight issues were due injury induced inactivity. He's looking to get back in better shape. Guess he's got a year to do it now.

· Registered
30 Posts
Admittedly a little foggy, but my recollection is that Jose Powell left UNH and went to either Roxbury CC or Bunker Hill CC (leaning towards Roxbury) for a year before enrolling at NU. Struggling with how Duell can go to a JC after spending two years at a four-year school. How does that work? Duell claims to be heavy from injury induced inactivity? He wasn't exactly "cut" when I saw him as a frosh. Was he hurt then, too?

· Registered
252 Posts
Obstructed View said:
Admittedly a little foggy, but my recollection is that Jose Powell left UNH and went to either Roxbury CC or Bunker Hill CC (leaning towards Roxbury) for a year before enrolling at NU. Struggling with how Duell can go to a JC after spending two years at a four-year school. How does that work? Duell claims to be heavy from injury induced inactivity? He wasn't exactly "cut" when I saw him as a frosh. Was he hurt then, too?
He isn't going to a JC, he will be sitting out one year at Siena, he will be allowed to sit on the bench during the games, and will participate in practice. That should be enough to keep him in shape.

· Premium Member
2,122 Posts
B9j2j6s said:
He isn't going to a JC, he will be sitting out one year at Siena, he will be allowed to sit on the bench during the games, and will participate in practice. That should be enough to keep him in shape.
Duell had a hard time staying in shape while healthy here (during his freshman year too).

· Registered
402 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
Well, with the possiblity of his role at UVM either being a productive role player or impact starter/potential captain Duell erased any doubt because he will probably be nothing more than a role player for Siena.

And having to pay one year full tuition......well, at least everyone's happy, and that's all you can ask for. This move doesn't make much basketball or financial sense to me, but whatever, I'm a little biased.
Why does he have to pay one years tuition? Did he already sit out a year? If he didn't then his tuition should be covered for even the year he sits out, right? You have a five year clock. Maybe I have it wrong but your not required to pay your tuition the year you sit out are you?

· Premium Member
34,581 Posts
AE Hoops Fan Man said:
Why does he have to pay one years tuition? Did he already sit out a year? If he didn't then his tuition should be covered for even the year he sits out, right? You have a five year clock. Maybe I have it wrong but your not required to pay your tuition the year you sit out are you?
From what I understand, and typically that is correct, but the reason is because Siena does not have a scholarship available for him next year, which is the year he is sitting out. No scholarship= Gotta pony up for the biggest suck on the middle class today that increases each year more than double the rate of inflation - a year of college. Mom and dad must be ecstatic to see Joshy be happy ;)

· Registered
402 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
From what I understand, and typically that is correct, but the reason is because Siena does not have a scholarship available for him next year, which is the year he is sitting out. No scholarship= Gotta pony up for the biggest suck on the middle class today that increases each year more than double the rate of inflation - a year of college. Mom and dad must be ecstatic to see Joshy be happy ;)
Ouch, that will put a crimp on dads retirement fund!! He must really like Siena, but then again who wouldn't (cough, cough)

· Premium Member
34,581 Posts
AE Hoops Fan Man said:
Ouch, that will put a crimp on dads retirement fund!! He must really like Siena, but then again who wouldn't (cough, cough)
Of course, Siena is fanta.....er, Siena is.....Siena is..... in Albany? Siena is near Union College, and Union College is in Schenectady, and Schenectady is cool if you are really into super sketchy college towns....and .....oh yeah, it's near the Crossgates mall. I'm rambling....

But reallly, what does Siena have going for it?

No, but it is close to his home, and he is basically doing the reverse- instead of leaving home on a scholarship he is going back home- and paying for it! :eek8:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.