Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the college basketball season kicking off tonight on tv, what are your guys thoughts on the Draft prospects seen in tonights game? Josh McRoberts? JJ Reddick? Shelden Williams? even Greg Paulus?

I'll be posting mine later tonight.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I only caught the last few minutes, but didn't really see too much happen.

Here are my thoughts on the prospects:

Shelden Williams: I think it's fair to call him a lotto pick in the summer. The guy is just massive. What a frame. He's not too athletic, but seems servicable (liked that baseline drive/slam tonight). 4-year college guys with that frame and defensive ability are pretty rare.

McRoberts: Didn't see him much tonight or in HS. Scouting reports have called him a slower Webber and Tom Gugliotta. I believe he had at least 10 boards in his first game tonight. I look forward to watching him this season. He's in a pretty good situation here, he could be a supporting member on a championship-level team and then enter the draft or come back next year and have the opportunity to put up huge numbers.

JJ: I honestly don't like him as a pro. He's a great shooter, but that's about all he does. He's seems to be an OK penetrator and defender, but I can't see him as anything more than a sharpshooter off the bench. I hope NBA teams have learned from the likes of Trajan Langdon and Casey Jacobsen.

Paulus: Who was this guy tonight? Where is the Paulus that goes crashing into cheerleaders? Granted, it was his first game, and it's understandable for him to be overly cautious. It'll be interesting to see what he does in his Duke career.

DeMarcus: I look forward to seeing what he can do next year after JJ and Shelden (McRoberts?) graduate. I like his potential.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
JJ reddick is weak. Great great shooter. But so was Langdon. And Langdon shot better in collge IMO. And he didnt make it more than a season in the L.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Williams isn't a lottery guy to me, but that doesn't mean he won't make it. He's a little lethargic and doesn't really have much of an offensive game outside of the putback. He seems like a VERY poor man's Boozer, and I don't think I want that on my team. First rounder for sure though.

When you talk JJ there's just so much you can analyze and overanalyze. He shoots amazingly, but he doesn't do much else well, but forcing a defender to respect that shot opens up the drive and dish which can really help. I think he's a late first rounder and probably plays for a good amount of years in the league. He might have to work REALLY hard for it, but he'll have a nice NBA career. I think he's better than Korver (and maybe he's better RIGHT NOW).

McRoberts is great, but I think he could use two years.

From all indications I've heard Paulus is a 4 year college guy and not much of a pro baller..... should have played football.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Nimreitz said:
Williams isn't a lottery guy to me, but that doesn't mean he won't make it. He's a little lethargic and doesn't really have much of an offensive game outside of the putback. He seems like a VERY poor man's Boozer, and I don't think I want that on my team. First rounder for sure though.
I think the one thing that really separates the two is shotblocking. Boozer never averaged more than 1/game in college or in the league, while Shelden had almost 4/game last season.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
McRoberts needs to gain A LOT of strength if he ever wants to play in the league...

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
A couple of points:

1. Williams is a much better rebounder / defender then Boozer.
2. While the initial evaluation on Reddick is he is just a shooter, he gets to the free throw line ALOT. That suggest he has a bit more game then just being a shoot

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
RebelSun said:
Where is the Paulus that goes crashing into cheerleaders?
I don't recall there being any chance for him to dive into any more cheerleaders. I don't know what you were watching last night, but he played better defense than I ever thought he would. It wasn't great, but it was better than he played in the games I've seen of him in the past.

JuniorNaboa said it right about Redick... Those of you who are talking about Redick being only a shooter, either a) haven't really seen many of their games/didn't see the game last night and are just listening to what everyone said about him his first two years or b) have seen their games and are ignoring the fact that he does more than just shoot. I'm not saying his defense is supurb or that he's a Dwayne Wade slasher, but he's more than Trajan Langdon (who some of you are forgetting was a spot up shooter that didn't shoot very well of the dribble and hardly every drove to the basket).

The Boozer / Williams comparisions are poor. Their only similarity = the were big men and played basketball for Duke.

·
Registered
443 Posts
TM said:
I don't recall there being any chance for him to dive into any more cheerleaders. I don't know what you were watching last night, but he played better defense than I ever thought he would. It wasn't great, but it was better than he played in the games I've seen of him in the past.

JuniorNaboa said it right about Redick... Those of you who are talking about Redick being only a shooter, either a) haven't really seen many of their games/didn't see the game last night and are just listening to what everyone said about him his first two years or b) have seen their games and are ignoring the fact that he does more than just shoot. I'm not saying his defense is supurb or that he's a Dwayne Wade slasher, but he's more than Trajan Langdon (who some of you are forgetting was a spot up shooter that didn't shoot very well of the dribble and hardly every drove to the basket).

The Boozer / Williams comparisions are poor. Their only similarity = the were big men and played basketball for Duke.
TM don't you think you are being a little too positive when talking about Paulus he was alright but hardly looked like the player he was hyped up to be as the No.1 PG ranking. I'll give Redick props he has really developed since his freshmen season but he still didn't look all that great handling the ball. In the NBA those basic moves he did he wouldn't score off them. Laterally he will still struggle and he lacks a quick first step. I agree with you anyone who compares Williams and Boozer never saw them play.

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
Matthew Maurer said:
TM don't you think you are being a little too positive when talking about Paulus he was alright but hardly looked like the player he was hyped up to be as the No.1 PG ranking. I'll give Redick props he has really developed since his freshmen season but he still didn't look all that great handling the ball. In the NBA those basic moves he did he wouldn't score off them. Laterally he will still struggle and he lacks a quick first step. I agree with you anyone who compares Williams and Boozer never saw them play.

Don't you think it may be a little early to judge Paulus? Come on.

And in response to some other posts in this thread, Williams and Boozer have 2 things in common: they are big and they played at Duke. That is where the similarities end. Boozer had a much more refined low post game at Duke, and Williams is far and away a better rebounder and defender.

Somehow Boozer became a really good rebounder in the NBA. But at Duke, he was average for a big man.

·
Registered
443 Posts
The Truth said:
Don't you think it may be a little early to judge Paulus? Come on.

And in response to some other posts in this thread, Williams and Boozer have 2 things in common: they are big and they played at Duke. That is where the similarities end. Boozer had a much more refined low post game at Duke, and Williams is far and away a better rebounder and defender.

Somehow Boozer became a really good rebounder in the NBA. But at Duke, he was average for a big man.
Truth I agree all I am saying is that for someone who has the title of No.1 PG across the freshman land he didn't look all that impressive. Could things change? Of course. Do I think they will? Of course.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Matthew Maurer said:
TM don't you think you are being a little too positive when talking about Paulus he was alright but hardly looked like the player he was hyped up to be as the No.1 PG ranking. .
and you have come to this conclusion from 1 game ????

·
Registered
443 Posts
and you have come to this conclusion from 1 game ????
My Lord you would think I bashed this kid so let me clarify for last nights game he didn't look all that great. Now that's only talking about last night's game NOT the WHOLE college season. I didn't make a prediction about how he is going to play for the year it was just a statement about last night's game. I by no means saying that throughout his 4 years Paulus he will never be good. Sssheeesh I didn't know Paulus had so many fans :)

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
shelden williams will b good

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Matthew Maurer, I don't really have anything to add to what's been said, plus I don't want it to seem like I'm lashing out. :) You are right, to an extent. First collegiate game, got on the board with a couple FT's, but didn't score a bucket. Had several turnovers, but there were positives. I think he'll turn out all right. He's got four years.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
You guys might want to catch the 2nd half of this game. I missed the first half, but from what they've been saying on the halftime show, the Devils have been clickin on all cylinders, specifically JJ.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
If you wanna see the many facets of JJ Redick, turn on this game! He's shooting off screens, shooting off the dribble, driving to the basket... phenominal.

·
Wooden the Wizard
13,621 Posts
Better keep an eye on Martynus Pocius - btw, not pronounced "Pot-Zeus" or "Pox-us" like Rick Majerus would have you believe.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts