Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Mike K is a great coach. The Duke kids are good kids. Yet I think of them like I do the Yanks (I am a Sox fan). I hate their success and love to see them lose. My failing, I guess, but I am satisfied nonetheless.

Glen Davis is unbelievable. I have never seen a player his size with such agility.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been a Duke hater my whole life, yet I truely respect Coach K, and all of his players, including Redick. Also, I too hate the Yankees, but I respect there organization and all of their players because of the class which they display at all times.

That out of the way, LSU is filled with some true althletic FREAKS, this team somewhat reminded me of GW in the way they are built. LSU can really defend and has the guys in the back to play great help defense and swat balls out of the goal. I do not believe that LSU has a very good offense, and they lack shooters. They won this game because their second chance points and offensive rebounding. If they hope to make the final four they need to find some better shooting touch, and continue the great defense. I was really pulling for LSU because I hate Duke, and it helped that I picked LSU to beat them in my pool!

·
Registered
768 Posts
One question: Whos more athletic Pops Mensah-Bonsu or Tyrus Thomas? Talk about two freaks of nature, in a good way. I picked LSU in the beginning of the season at 100-1 odds. Hope they can pull it off. I took GW too at the same, they gave it a valient effort.

·
Jump Hook Assassin
1,886 Posts
delicious said:
The game isnt over yet, but I just cant take the refs anymore. The Ncaa should really step in and do something about this because its gotten out of hand.
I guess I didn't see it. What was terribly wrong with the officiating?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Lari Ketner said:
I guess I didn't see it. What was terribly wrong with the officiating?

LSU fouled out Shelden Williams with 3 minutes to go. He committed the foul but they gave it Paulus.
Just brutal and obvious Duke favortism. LSU coach was going nuts. Pure justice as they lost anyway.

Duke absolutely gets preferential tratment in college basketball.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I thought the officiating was pretty even. LSU was certainly allowed to be physical on the defensive end. And the ridiculous flops by Duke on defense were not called, which was good.

On the Paulus call, I was incensed initially, but on the replay I thought it was a good call. The only complaint was that the whistle was late for calling the reach in.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,743 Posts
txg said:
I thought the officiating was pretty even. LSU was certainly allowed to be physical on the defensive end. And the ridiculous flops by Duke on defense were not called, which was good.

On the Paulus call, I was incensed initially, but on the replay I thought it was a good call. The only complaint was that the whistle was late for calling the reach in.
Yeah, I agree. They really let LSU get physical. Duke didn't get to the line until there was 1:28 left in the first half.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I too thought the officiating was pretty good. The fact Redick only took 2 free throws and Sheldon Williams actually had 4 fouls called on him, shows there was no preferential treatment towards Duke. And the call on Paulus was correct. He reached before Williams bumped the LSU player.

BTW, I forgot what game it was, but the worse call of the night was when the offensive player went up for a shot behind the backboard, and got stuffed by the bottom of the backboard. The ref called a foul on the defender, because it looked like a foul, but the defender didn't touch the player, the backboard did.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
LSU tried like crazy to give that game away. Thank God they pulled it off.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
txg said:

are you serious? the reffing was awful... glen davis was on the bench in the first half for touching sheldon williams twice... wolliams was inside throwing people around, hooking the defender on every drop step and generally throwing elbows all over the place... there was one play in particular that demonstrates my hate for the dukies.... redick came off a screen with his hand in the defenders jersey trying to pull him in and draw the foul.... when it wasn't called he *****ed about it.... that and the fact that every closeup of mcroberts showed him screaming f-bombs and deuces.... class indeed....

i'm taking my ball and going home now

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
The reffing may have still been questionable, but not compared to the GW-Duke game when Duke pretty much was allowed to shove whoever they wanted when ever they wanted without a foul being called.

I think I'll always remember that game the same way I remember Larry Lembo for givng Lynn Greer those three shots in the A-10 tourney.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Free Quebec said:
The reffing may have still been questionable, but not compared to the GW-Duke game when Duke pretty much was allowed to shove whoever they wanted when ever they wanted without a foul being called.
Bingo. I am not a Duke hater by any means, but I was sick after that GW game. The refs let LSU play a lot more physical and they got away with things that GW was not allowed to get away with. I have not looked at a boxscore, but it seemed that LSU went to the line a good bit, they just happened to miss most of them.

·
Registered
362 Posts
txg said:

I usually root against Duke, for a lot of the reasons that most of you stated. I thought the officiating worked to LSU's favor. Not that it wasn't fair, but that they let LSU play pretty physical. Since Duke is on TV every week, I sit and watch the games and get used to them "getting" the close foul calls. Last night, I remember thinking on several occasions that a foul would be called (against LSU) and the whistle never came. It was reassuring to know that this monster conspiracy theory with Coack K and the officials may not exist as has been widely suggested.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Free Quebec said:

I think I'll always remember that game the same way I remember Larry Lembo for givng Lynn Greer those three shots in the A-10 tourney.
FQ- You know I love ya buddy but c'mon. We shot like 30% from the field. Yes Sheldon got to play by his own rules, but we cost ourselves the game with horrific shot selection. Not quite the same is as Larry giving the A10 tournament to Temple on a platter. (Another game we gave away incidentally)

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
bkaniecki said:
It was reassuring to know that this monster conspiracy theory with Coack K and the officials may not exist as has been widely suggested.
It's not so much a conspiracy as that the refs are caught up in Duke hype and just allow them to get away with a lot more than their opponents simply because they are Duke (maybe the Coach K intimidation factor is part of it, but mostly it's just reputation -- sort of like refs not calling strikes against Ted Williams because they figure he'd have swung if it was a strike).

The problem is that after a particularly egregious example, the refs become conscious of it and call it more fairly the next time. Refs got called out in public for giving Duke the calls vs. FSU and next time they met, the game is called more evenly. Ditto for BC. And after all the public discussion of the horrible way that Duke got all the calls vs. GW, it's not a surprise that the refs seemed to consciously not let Duke get every call again.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
nanapmb said:
FQ- You know I love ya buddy but c'mon. We shot like 30% from the field. Yes Sheldon got to play by his own rules, but we cost ourselves the game with horrific shot selection. Not quite the same is as Larry giving the A10 tournament to Temple on a platter. (Another game we gave away incidentally)
I thought one of the main reasons we shot so poorly was that every time we drove to the basket (which was virtually every possession), Duke was allowed to make a ton of body contact, which threw us off.

First half was more egregious than the second half, but I think it shattered our confidence in our ability to make shots agianst their aggressive D.

Plus, if they simply would have whistled Sheldon Williams when he fouled someone, he wouldn't have been on the floor for most of the game and that would have likely increased our shooting percentage by a lot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.