Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Gilbert Muako ‏@GilMuako
BREAKING: 2013 Canadian F Isaiah Watkins (St.Bene
dicts/CIA Bounce) has committed to Duquesne University in the A10 Conference #CROWN

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop
Duquesne has landed a commitment from Isaiah Watkins, a 2013 PF out of St. Benedict's (NJ), per a source.

Gilbert Muako ‏@GilMuako
Duquesne made Isaiah Watkins a top priority and in the end they got their man. No one recruited him harder. #CROWN

Watkins is a 6'8 Forward from Canada/ St. Benedicts who had offers from Indiana, Boston College, Arkansas, Iowa State, Baylor, Niagara, Charlotte, Miami (FL), Oregon State, Columbia, Princeton, URI, Villanova, Washington, St. Joes and others. He was rated a 3 star recruit by Scout. He is rated the fifth ranked prospect in Canada by North Pole Hoops

Watkins: "Best fit for my game, I want to raise the program & the school with hard work dedication to the game. (I) Want to Win above all else and prove all those who continue to doubt me wrong..."

Youtube Highlights

Reactions: Muddy Waters

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should be a great front court for the Dukes in 2013 with UAB transfer 6'8 Ovie Soko becoming eligible. Would be nice to have 6'8 Mamadou Datt or 7'1 Martins Abele progress this season to make the '13-'14 team one to be respected.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
No disrespect to Duquesne, but this is puzzling to say the least.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It tells me Jimmy Ferry might be a pretty awesome recruiter. After his crazy string of decent signings after the apocalypse of last spring and now this, its hard to argue.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Obviously, but who cuts their list and then doesn't take visits? Just doesn't happen.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please go on, what do you mean? He visited Duquesne last weekend. Jim must have made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Please go on, what do you mean? He visited Duquesne last weekend. Jim must have made him an offer he couldn't refuse.
Sounds like an NCAA violation. I mean he cut his list down to 13 or whatever and AFAIK, he didn't set up visits anywhere. I didnt even know he was visiting Duquesne.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you are kidding, maybe he didn't publicize his visits? Or he visited the other schools earlier? I don't think it is against the rules to commit before visiting everywhere on your list though.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Bitter much....

Mike George ‏@CoachMikeCIA
Congrats to @thewatkinskid on his commitment To Duquesne joining fellow bounce/Uplay fam @MBinney3 proud of u guys!! #bouncefam!!

39m JG ‏@JHG722
@CoachMikeCIA @TheWatkinsKid Seriously, of all the schools? Duquesne?

33m Mike George ‏@CoachMikeCIA
@JHG722 @thewatkinskid it's what the kid n family wants so let's support and be happy for him! I'm proud of him!

26m JG ‏@JHG722
@CoachMikeCIA I'm trying not to hate, but it's just very confusing. Did he even visit Temple and etc. before deciding?

23m Mike George ‏@CoachMikeCIA
@JHG722 honestly I don't know @BounceTTCAAU and I r just here 4 advice. We just support the guys n fam when they decide.

14m JG ‏@JHG722
@CoachMikeCIA I get that. I wish him well but I just think he should've taken visits before making a sudden decision. Our facilities are A+

Follow

Mike George
‏@CoachMikeCIA
@JHG722 good point but he clearly felt comfortable w his decision. FYI my cousin played 4 the women team back in 90 Tanya Bailey. I'm a fan!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Bitter isn't really the word. Confused is more like it. If we dont strike out for once and land Chinoso Obokoh, I will be fine because he's a better player anyway. Just dont really get how you commit without visiting anywhere else to compare.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You sound like you have never lost a recruiting battle. Pittsburgh is a lot closer to Toronto, has a marginally better academic reputation, and has brand new facilities (Consol+ renovated AJP). Oh and they are in a better conference. The Big East is tanking!

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
You sound like you have never lost a recruiting battle. Pittsburgh is a lot closer to Toronto, has a marginally better academic reputation, and has brand new facilities. Oh and they are in a better conference. The Big East is tanking!
Wait, did he commit to Duquesne or Pitt, because that description does not fit Duquesne.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How does it not fit Duquesne?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
How does it not fit Duquesne?
You dont seriously think Duquesne has a better academic rep than Temple, do you?

Our practice facility is brand new. Brand new scoreboard in the Liacouras Center just went up.

Say what you want about the BE, but the $$$, TV exposure, MSG, and teams blow away the A10. I like the A10 very much, but you're kidding yourself if you wouldn't jump at an invitation.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
US News Rankings

Duquesne 120

Temple 125

1 - 20 of 59 Posts