Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Joe Dumars won't be in the Basketball Hall of Fame's class of 2005.

The official list won't be announced until Monday at a news conference in St. Louis before the NCAA championship game.

But Dumars, 41, the Pistons' president of basketball operations, confirmed he wasn't selected in his first time as a finalist. The finalists were notified Thursday whether they made it.
I find this surprising, the article lists what he is done and it is nothing less than ridiculous. I guess it's just the lack of an MVP award there. I have no doubt he will make it someday.

Detroit Free Press

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
He'll make it someday, but if Dominique couldn't get in this year, then I don't think there was anyway one could say Dumars deserved to be in. Unless you take team accomplishments and his front office work into account. He'll make it eventually.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Dumars will make it in. Adding another Championship wouldn't hurt his chances for next year. I can't believe a guy like Dominique couldn't get into the hall. I do agree that both Big East coaches deserved the nod though. 700 wins is a great feat in college ball.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Cant say that I was surprised to hear Joey didnt make it in his first attempt. He will make it in, as will Nique, I would be surprised if both were not voted in on the next run.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
If I am not mistaken...isnt the NBA the only league of the major 4 that doesnt have its own hall of fame?

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
You are correct. Basketball has it's own hall of fame which can elect someone from any life of basketball. Thats why some people on the list every once and awhile have never had anything to do with basketball in North America even.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I don't think Wilkins deserves to be in the Hall. He never won anything in College and he never won in the Pros.

Dumars is more of a shock to me. His HOF monitor on basketball reference is only 105, with 135 being the cutoff.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
He never won anything in the pros because of the Lakers, Pistons, and Bulls. He wasn't ever on a stacked team but he did have huge numbers for a long time. Wilkins and Dumars would both be in if I was voting.

·
Registered
910 Posts
kamego said:
He never won anything in the pros because of the Lakers, Pistons, and Bulls. He wasn't ever on a stacked team but he did have huge numbers for a long time. Wilkins and Dumars would both be in if I was voting.
That's what I'm sayin it but be a crime if either doesn't make it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts