Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rate his size and strength more than skills.

passing: 50% of the starters have better passing skills than him;
shooting (include FT): 70% of the starters have better shooting skills than him;
Steal: 80% of the starters are better than him;
rebounding and shot blocking: He is one of the best because his size and strength.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Ummmm, no.

There are a lot bigger and a lot stronger guys than Duncan in the league.

Duncan is so good because he is talented as hell.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I wouldn't say there are a lot of guys bigger and stronger than Duncan. At 6'11 260 he is definitely one of the biggest players in the league.

But to say his skills are average, shows a lack of basketball IQ. All you talk about is passing, free throw percentage, steals and rebounds. Shaq is the biggest and strongest player in the league, and if I'm not mistaken he has never led the league in rebounds, the reason is rebounding is more than just being big and strong. He shoots a bad free throw percentage, but so what, that doesn't mean he isn't skilled, he also shoots about 50% from the field, not too many people do that. He is 6'11 he isn't expected to get steals, but he is top 10 in shot blocking, which is what he is supposed to do. You say half the starters pass better than him, but how many 6'11 players pass better than him?

There is more to basketball than those few categories, how about his post moves? How about his ability to score with both hands? How about at 6'11 his ability to shoot the 20 footer with confidence? How about at 6'11 his ability to put the ball on the floor and lead the break? Duncan is one of the most skilled players in the NBA simple as that.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
shooting skills are not just FT.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kmasonbx</b>!
There is more to basketball than those few categories, how about his post moves? How about his ability to score with both hands? How about at 6'11 his ability to shoot the 20 footer with confidence? How about at 6'11 his ability to put the ball on the floor and lead the break? Duncan is one of the most skilled players in the NBA simple as that.
Watching Duncan in the post is amazing... Reminds me of the Dream the way he shakes people to get his shot off.

Not enought players can do things like that, its not appriciated enought either IMO

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>stevemc</b>!

Watching Duncan in the post is amazing... Reminds me of the Dream the way he shakes people to get his shot off.

Not enought players can do things like that, its not appriciated enought either IMO
TD is 7 footer. His low post move is not beautiful.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ballscientist</b>!

TD is 7 footer. His low post move is not beautiful.
Lots of players are 7-foot or near it. Duncan's drop step moves and turn-arounds out of the post are perfect.

That's where his skill really shines.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A Jamison, Sheed ...... have better skills than TD.

forget about the size and strength.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

shooting (include FT): 70% of the starters have better shooting skills than him;
rebounding and shot blocking: He is one of the best because his size and strength.
Have you ever seen Duncan bring the ball up the floor?
He is a good shooter from the field, he is just strugling from the line right now. His skills in the low post are unparralled. He is also an excellent defender.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
shooting skills are not just FT.
Ok so explain his near perfect shooting of the bank shot. And he is very fluid around the basket. What are you talking about

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
If Duncan's skills are average, then half the players in the league are more skilled than Tim Duncan? Where are all these guys hiding? They must all be guards, because there aren't any big men more skilled than Tim Duncan.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
In game 6 of the Ship he almost put up a quadruple-double wit 21pts 20reb 10ast and 8blk!!!Other then K.G. hes the most complete player in the league!!!

Bottom Line!!!

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
def TD is the best player partially because of size and strength. Don't misunderstand.
IMO he is getting worse season by season.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
def TD is the best player partially because of size and strength. Don't misunderstand.
IMO he is getting worse season by season.
I never can diss a posters opinion but yours is not a good one. You are all alone on this one

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
If people can't realize this man's finese and athletic ability and cant look past his sheer size you are nuts.

His offensive footwork, and ability to shoot of the dribble is amazing. He also uses his brain (and uses the glass on to make his percentages higher).

Pure Basketball player.

·
Registered
452 Posts

You forgot this one:

0% of starters are better than him.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Duncan's skills are definitely not average. His free throw shooting is all mental, he shot nearly 80 percent not too long ago and he can hit long jumpers with ease. The only skill he lacks is 3 pt shooting.

He's the only guy in the league, other than maybe Rasheed, that regularly hits mid-range jumpers off the backboard .. a real lost art and one of the easiest ways to hit mid-range jumpers at an angle.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I like Ballscientist threads.

But obviously, Duncan's skills are far from average. He can do everything well. He has great instincts on defense. He is a very cereberal player. He and KG are the two most skilled players in the league.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts