Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just wondering but when are the contestants for the dunk contest announced.... i find it wierd that the whole all-star line-up is announced before this event... and who are the participants..

J-rich- probably
i ahve heard of fred jones... i dunno about anyone else though..
i would say chris anderson but i can't really bring myself to putting that guy on the list... stoudemire is the only big guy i would actually like to see in it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,725 Posts
I think someone should give a $1,000,000 prize for the winner!

I mean, Howard Stern can find someone to give 1 mil to see who can keep their hand on those wakos the longest. And that wasnt on big time TV.


$ 1 mil, even if they could give some to a charity, would attract every player.

Who wants to be a millionaire is starting up again with a $20 mil final prize. We cant find some company to put up 1 mil???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Yeah does anyone know when they will announce the participants?!!!!! I've been waiting a while... I hope Adonal Foyle is going to be on the list this year, he's a poor man's Vince Carter with his hops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Adonal 31 Foyle</b>!
Yeah does anyone know when they will announce the participants?!!!!! I've been waiting a while... I hope Adonal Foyle is going to be on the list this year, he's a poor man's Vince Carter with his hops.
lmfao at adonal foyle a poor man's vince carter, yeah and zydrunas ilgauskas is a poor man's brent barry :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
is there a reason why carmello and lebron wont be in it?

its suppose to be for guys in their first 3 years

i doubt there are two other names that people rather see
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>IosimCash</b>!
is there a reason why carmello and lebron wont be in it?

its suppose to be for guys in their first 3 years

i doubt there are two other names that people rather see
I'm pretty sure that James turned it down. Don't know anything about Anthony though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by <b>IosimCash</b>!
is there a reason why carmello and lebron wont be in it?

its suppose to be for guys in their first 3 years

i doubt there are two other names that people rather see
If James or Anthony put their names into the Competition and they lose, obviously they could risk losing fans. There is no point in either of them entering the Contest because the end circumstance could be worse than the original. They have nothing to gain from winning that Competition, they are already very popular. Usually it is the unknown players that enter, to make a name for themselves. Plus, I don't think Anthony could win the Slam Dunk Competition anyways.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,503 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ElevatorMan</b>!
I am just wondering but when are the contestants for the dunk contest announced.... i find it wierd that the whole all-star line-up is announced before this event... and who are the participants..

J-rich- probably
i ahve heard of fred jones... i dunno about anyone else though..
i would say chris anderson but i can't really bring myself to putting that guy on the list... stoudemire is the only big guy i would actually like to see in it
Of course JRich is gonna be in it
You wouldn't wanna see the Stro Show?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
Originally posted by <b>nba_playa</b>
If James or Anthony put their names into the Competition and they lose, obviously they could risk losing fans.
uhh.. MJ lost a couple times and i don't think he lost any fans, he practically gained them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,533 Posts
I would like to see Gerald Wallace and Stromile Swift, they would be awesome. I read somewhere that Chris Andersen and Jason Richardson were already confirmed, I don´t know about Andersen although he will probably be very good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
69 Posts
A mill? They get paid enough, as it is.

How about we remove this 3 year thing. Damn, I'd love to see just a few of the following go at it:

Kobe, T-Mac, Vince Carter, Steve Francis, Desmon Mason, Baron Davis, J-Rich, Ricky Davis... by next year, they won't be eligible.

No stupid gimmicks, no restrictions, just a flat-out dunk contest with some real high-flyers. I want to see more than 2 people in a showdown, I want some of these people to embedd something in my head. I still haven't forgiven myself for missing VC in 2001.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shonin</b>!uhh.. MJ lost a couple times and i don't think he lost any fans, he practically gained them.
True, but times have changed. It's not the same Slam Dunk Competition as back then, it has been commercialized unfortunately. Michael won it back to back in 87 and 88, with some fantastic dunks. Michael was GOOD before the Slam Dunk Competitions and he had that personality to him, but it got him that real attention. He won the Slam Dunk Competitions well before he was known as the most popular, and probably G.O.A.T.. Imagine if Jordan hadn't won those Slam Dunk Competitions, it could have really changed his image and name (although probably not to a great extent). The Slam Dunk Competition can be a great spring board towards getting your name out there, and I am sure that if you were to slip up you'd fall off of that Spring Board fast. Think about Vince and Kobe of recent times too, Kobe in 97 and Vince in 00. It definitely helped their careers, but what if neither had won it...Kobe probably would not have had the court time he saw after the Slam Dunk Competition due to his growing popularity.

It is undeniable, the Slam Dunk Competition can make, or break, a players reputation. If LeBron was to enter, and end up 4th the ignorant fans could take this as a sign that he isn't "great."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
NBA Playa you just gave EVERY reason as to why the present so called "superstars" are a bunch of spineless punks!!!

Guess what, Dominique lost 3 times in the contest. Dr.J got his clock cleaned in 84' and 85' and Clyde the Glide lost in EVERY contest he entered. Their reputationa never took a hit because of it you know why? Because they remained all-star caliber players throughout their careers. McGrady is another example, he got waxed by Vince and Francis back in 2000 and today he's arguably held in a higher regard than both of them because he performed in the regular season.

And don't use the supposed "high visibility" of the present day contest as an excuse eventhough that's a flat out MYTH!!! The dunk contest in the mid to late 80's was WAY MORE POPULAR than it is today, it was the jewel of all-star weekend and the fact that you had mega-stars like Nique, Clyde, Michael and the Dr. competing year after year only enhanced it's

The modern day "stars" are just a bunch of wimps in my book and it's no wonder the league has gone down the drain during their watch.

LeBron and Carmelo? The next Magic and Bird? PLEASE!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,432 Posts
Originally posted by <b>nba_playa</b>!


True, but times have changed. It's not the same Slam Dunk Competition as back then, it has been commercialized unfortunately. Michael won it back to back in 87 and 88, with some fantastic dunks. Michael was GOOD before the Slam Dunk Competitions and he had that personality to him, but it got him that real attention. He won the Slam Dunk Competitions well before he was known as the most popular, and probably G.O.A.T.. Imagine if Jordan hadn't won those Slam Dunk Competitions, it could have really changed his image and name (although probably not to a great extent). The Slam Dunk Competition can be a great spring board towards getting your name out there, and I am sure that if you were to slip up you'd fall off of that Spring Board fast. Think about Vince and Kobe of recent times too, Kobe in 97 and Vince in 00. It definitely helped their careers, but what if neither had won it...Kobe probably would not have had the court time he saw after the Slam Dunk Competition due to his growing popularity.

It is undeniable, the Slam Dunk Competition can make, or break, a players reputation. If LeBron was to enter, and end up 4th the ignorant fans could take this as a sign that he isn't "great."
I would of never thought once that a DUNK CONTEST would hurt a player's popularity/reputation if not regular NBA games and lack of winning. I thought it was all about the performances in NBA games, or the lack of winning because I wonder how Ray Allen and Richard Hamilton got their reputation/popularity of a specific aspect of the basketball game. I think they got it from NBA games, and their winning records, despite being creamed in their respective dunk contests.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,876 Posts
i'm REALLY hoping that the NBA is holding back the final roster so that Lebron can change his mind and decide he's fine to fly. everything else is announced, it would only make sense that they're begging LBJ to compete.

chris anderson
jrich
fred jones

are the first four.

the fourth should be lebron, wallace, or maybe kedrick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!
i'm REALLY hoping that the NBA is holding back the final roster so that Lebron can change his mind and decide he's fine to fly. everything else is announced, it would only make sense that they're begging LBJ to compete.

chris anderson
jrich
fred jones

are the first four.

the fourth should be lebron, wallace, or maybe kedrick.
jeff trapegnier should join the contest, him and freddy can make a great small man matchup, this contest formula is really messed up, first of all there should never be a year limit for players to enter and second of all they should allow players to do whatever they feel is best for to do and not force them to take that stupid wheel stuff, just imagine franchise has to do a mj foul-line dunk, also there should not be a limit to how many participants in the contest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
its very sad if players dont enter the competition because they are scared of losing popularity

kobe was afraid of vince

its just very sad. When it comes down to it, its what u do for your team and to win games that gets u popularity. This is why no one cares about Jay Rich until its dunk time. It should be about the dunking and the fans

Amare
Jay Rich
Lebron
and Carmello

thats what people wanna see, thats what we should get
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,139 Posts
they should have college vs nba
muhammad
diaz
james white
j.page

vs

VC
JRich
lebron
t-mac
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top