Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
man oh man what I would give to have had matt turner in the dunk contest, I seriously think he would win, that guy was amazing... I think Chris Wyatt could def hold his own as well... Rashad for that matter too. Mopa too... Hey, Jason Maxwell for Cinci, the only positive from BU's thrashing they received from cinci in the tourney in 2002 was Rashad Bell Posterizing Maxwell when they were both freshmen, here's a refresher: http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper87/stills/sl90m7aa.jpg

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
Did you see the dunks last night. I loved Matt Turner, but there is no way he could compete against most of those guys, particularly the winner, Katelynas from TN-Chatanooga. That guy was totally sick, and didn't miss once.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Katelynas was the man. There were some other sick dunks, but he kept steping it up throughout the competition.

Gotta love the little guy dunking of the 'oop, & the dunk from a "step" inside the FT line.

The 360 tomahawk from Pugh was so powerful; if he had gotten off that flying through the legs dunk that he tried in the first and third rounds, putting the ball through his legs from the front (not sideways lifting the leg up like Katelynas did which is still a fantastic dunk off the 'oop) would have been the highlight of the night. He can fly..

Katelynas taking off from the line (his back heel was still touching!) was awesome!

Reactions: Zalgirinis

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ever seen Matt Turner throw down? If you dont think he could hold his own with most of the field then your nuts: Last summer at the courts by memorial drive he had a guy who was like 6'5"-6'6" stand in front of the hoop, jumped over him and dunked it! Or before the maine game last year, when he was heading back to the locker room after warmups, stopped underneath the basket, slammed the ball down, jumped up, did a 360, caught it and threw it down! And He's 5'8". He was definetly as good a dunker if not better than the 5'8" guy in the dunk contest. He had a 46" vertical leap (higher or as high as everyone in the dunk contest except for Pugh). My brother taped their game vs Albany at home last year and I just watched it, on a fast break he took 1 step over the freethrow line and took off, did a 180, and missed the dunk because he over dunked it (got too high)... Just based on what he did in games I might not think he could compete, bu what I saw over the summer last year on Mem drive was absolutally rediculous. He also pulled off the under one leg dunk that the Lithuanian guy did and he's over a foot shorter than him... and if you don't think Wyatt and to a lesser extent bell could hold there own against maxwell and Chuck Hayes who absolutally stunk your nuts...

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
ginzo said:
Have you ever seen Matt Turner throw down? If you dont think he could hold his own with most of the field then your nuts: Last summer at the courts by memorial drive he had a guy who was like 6'5"-6'6" stand in front of the hoop, jumped over him and dunked it! Or before the maine game last year, when he was heading back to the locker room after warmups, stopped underneath the basket, slammed the ball down, jumped up, did a 360, caught it and threw it down! And He's 5'8". He was definetly as good a dunker if not better than the 5'8" guy in the dunk contest. He had a 46" vertical leap (higher or as high as everyone in the dunk contest except for Pugh). My brother taped their game vs Albany at home last year and I just watched it, on a fast break he took 1 step over the freethrow line and took off, did a 180, and missed the dunk because he over dunked it (got too high)... Just based on what he did in games I might not think he could compete, bu what I saw over the summer last year on Mem drive was absolutally rediculous. He also pulled off the under one leg dunk that the Lithuanian guy did and he's over a foot shorter than him... and if you don't think Wyatt and to a lesser extent bell could hold there own against maxwell and Chuck Hayes who absolutally stunk your nuts...
ginzo, I saw almost every home game and every tournament game (but one) of Matt's career, plus his performances at Midnight Mayhem dunk contests. I think he could do well, particularly given his height (which I won't get into a debate about). He was a great dunker, and I think he could have been in a competition, but I don't think he would have won. It would have been cool to see him in it, though.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I definetly wasn't saying he would have won, but he would have competed... the shame is that although they have had some small guy dunkers, the best 2 I have seen in recent years havent been in the contest (Nate Robinson and Matt Turner)... as far as turners heignt, no way is he over 5'8". I talked to him at the Agganis this year when BU was playing vermont, I was wearing my timberlans which make me maybe 5'9" (up from 5'7 1/2") and I was definetly taller than him in my tims, and we were talking face to face. He was like up to Jason Grochawalski's Chest, and grocho is only 6'5"... regardless he's tiny and has a 46" vertical... Seth, send me a PM and I'll tell you where the court is on mem-drive, you should definetly check it out this summer. Last year Rashad, Turner, Shaun Wynn, some harvard players, Smith and some others from BC were all there last summer...

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hate to post again, but I completally forgot that I saw that guy Pugh when he was at Umass in 2000 at their midnight madness. He lost to Mike Babul, who was one of the sickest college dunkers I have ever seen (serious white boy ups).....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts