Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else think that would be a good move for the Warriors if they lose Arenas?
I'm not sold on Jay, he hasn't done naything in Chicago, he's too short to be an impact player in the league and he's not even a real PG, I think he would be a huge downgrade compared to Arenas. I think the Warriors should try to pick someone like Luke Ridnour who is a good distributor if they lose Arenas.

Anyway, I think the Warriors should stay away from Jay Williams, he's nowhere near Gilberts level, I think they should rather try to develop Dunleavy either as a back-up or as a starter if they get a good offer for Jamison.

What does everyone else think? Would Jay Williams be a good replacement for Arenas?

·
Registered
632 Posts
The point guard isn't very needed in the triangle offense, which is what the Bulls use, so Jay Will's talent and potential are not nearly exposed yet. Look at the Bulls of old and the current Lakers, Ron Harper isn't much of a point guard, and neither is Derek Fisher.

If Jay goes into the Warrior's offense, I believe he will be better, but not as good as Arenas. I'd expect numbers like 16 points per game and 6 assists a game.

If I were the Warriors, I would do this trade because Jamison is the team's captain and the most valuable player next to Arenas, who is bound to leave. Also, developing Dunleavy will take time, and Warriors fans have waited almost a decade for our players to develop into a solid team. It's time to stop drafting rookies and developing them and trade them for proven players who can take us to the next level.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Jay Williams will be a good replacement IMO. Jay's game is much more suited to the Warriors' free-lance style of plays. Jay can do many things with the ball in his hand much of the time. I don't know why many people is so down on Jay based on his performance recently. Jamal Crawford was even horrible in his first year with Bulls. The triangle offense is just too tough for a rookie to grasp. Jay for Dunleavy? Why not since we're stacked with Jamison at SF and Murphy at PF.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with the last two posters. Although Jay hasn't shown much this year, there is no doubt that the triangle would seriously limit the abilities of even the best point guards. I would do that trade in second just because Jay Williams is better in my opinion than any of the available point guards in the draft. Also, with the Warriors open offense and run and gun style of play he would really be able to use his abilties and would probably flourish. Dunleavy has been a nice bench player as of late, but in terms of career I just can't see Dunleavy having one even remotely as good as Jay.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
? Dunleavy's defense ?

I am a Bulls fan who had hoped the Bulls would take Dunleavy instead of J. Williams in the draft.

However, before the Great Jerry Krause is going to make any move for a small forward, the player is going to have to be able to improve the Bull's team defense. I am not sure if Dunleavy can help us there. Unfortunately, I do not get to see a lot of Warriors games (which is unfortunate, since they are playing a lot better than my Bulls).

How has Dunleavy's defense been? Can he be a decent on the ball defender? How is his weak side help defense?

·
Registered
447 Posts
It'll never happen. Plus, we don't want Dunleavy. What can he do for us?

Arenas:
I love his game! I hated we picked Hassell and then w/ the next pick G.S. picked Arenas. I knew he was MUCH better than Hassell and a steal in the 2nd round! I can't see why G.S. would let him get away. They should match anything offered to him. Good PG are hard to come by in this league tese days. Just ask Boston, Cleveland, Miami, Denver, NY, Orlando, and even Seattle!

Dunleavy:
He definitely needs to be traded. Sitting behind Jamison will not allow him to develop his talents. For a #3 pick, he should be playing A LOT more. Trade him to ATL for Dan Dickau and Chris Crawford. At least it would insure your PG position. Or package him in a deal w/ Fortson. Although I can't see any team wanting Fortson at this point. But - anything can happen. Why not try.

Jay:
I've stated this many times... It's too early to give up on him. He had a rough rookie season. His ego is too big. He needs to just shut up and play. Then, I'll feel more comfortable in making a decision as to trade him or not. But right now - you can keep Dunleavy. ( Speaking on behalf of John Paxson ;) )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts