Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mlive.com/sports/statewide/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1111835430181830.xml

AUBURN HILLS -- Ronald Dupree has done just about everything the Detroit Pistons have asked him to do lately. That's why he was surprised to learn Friday morning that he was being put on the injured list, and replaced by Darvin Ham.

Dupree said he was told shortly after the team's morning shoot-around by Mike Abdenour, the team's trainer.

"Confused" was Dupree's initial reaction to the news.

"It's been a roller coaster ride," said Dupree, who spent the first five weeks of the season on the injured list. "In the minutes I have been given . . . I know I did what I had to do (to help the team)."

It was clear to Pistons interim head coach Gar Heard that Carlos Delfino was not himself starting at shooting guard in place of injured Richard Hamilton. So on Friday, Heard replaced him with Lindsey Hunter in the starting lineup.

"Maybe he'll feel a bit better coming off the bench," said Heard, referring to Delfino. "There's not a lot of pressure for him coming off the bench. That might be his role now."

After two games in which Delfino missed 11 of 14 shots from the field, Heard felt the 6-foot-6 rookie might have been trying too hard to fill the void left by Hamilton's absence.

"When Rip got hurt, he had to go right into the starting lineup," Heard said. "I just think right now we have to work him in slowly, bring him off the bench and let him feel comfortable. Then I think he'll be fine."

Pistons head coach Larry Brown was again a no-show at Friday's game. While no definitive timetable for his return has been given, he is expected to be back next week.

Brown had surgery on March 14 to fix some urinary complications associated with the hip surgery he had in November.
:cry:

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
I don't know what to say. Cases can be made on both sides. On one hand we do need to get Delfino some PT to see what he can bring to the table. And Ronald, like he said, has done exactly what the cocahes have asked of him and he has done it well. Ronald brings a spark and effort, something a lot of guys on this team don't do. I don't know what to say.

The way I see it the playoffs roster should look something like this:

Wallace
Wallace
Prince
Hamilton
Billups

-----------------

McDyess
Arroyo
Delfino
Ham
Dupree
EC
Hunter

-----------------
IR:
Jenkins
Milicic

Maybe they switch Darko and Dupree or Ham to not crush Darko's confidence. But either of those guys help us more than Darko at this point.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
CJ said:
I don't know what to say. Cases can be made on both sides. On one hand we do need to get Delfino some PT to see what he can bring to the table. And Ronald, like he said, has done exactly what the cocahes have asked of him and he has done it well. Ronald brings a spark and effort, something a lot of guys on this team don't do. I don't know what to say.

The way I see it the playoffs roster should look something like this:

Maybe they switch Darko and Dupree or Ham to not crush Darko's confidence. But either of those guys help us more than Darko at this point.
I think this would be a good line up to have into the playoffs. As far as Darko goes this could potentially be a perfect wake up call. The organization has to know this and deal with it accordingly, if they leave him off the roster and don't explain why, it could come back to bite 'em in the butt. If I were in charge I would sit him down and tell him that for the playoffs we need the players most ready to compete at all times in all games and Darko hasn't showed us that. This way we aren't saying okay "we might keep you around for Shaq" because everybody knows Larry Brown won't. Get Darko to come back over the summer with some motivation and earn his minutes. Darko's laziness is as much as fault for his lack of progress as Larry Brown's stubbornness is.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lope31 said:
I think this would be a good line up to have into the playoffs. As far as Darko goes this could potentially be a perfect wake up call. The organization has to know this and deal with it accordingly, if they leave him off the roster and don't explain why, it could come back to bite 'em in the butt. If I were in charge I would sit him down and tell him that for the playoffs we need the players most ready to compete at all times in all games and Darko hasn't showed us that. This way we aren't saying okay "we might keep you around for Shaq" because everybody knows Larry Brown won't. Get Darko to come back over the summer with some motivation and earn his minutes. Darko's laziness is as much as fault for his lack of progress as Larry Brown's stubbornness is.
It's difficult for me to label Darko lazy when we never get a chance to see him. All the weight he put on when he first started with Detroit, the spending extra hours practicing every day, what all the players say about him don't tell me he's lazy. It's really easy to look at a few games where the Pistons were up or down 20 and Darko didn't dominate and call him lazy. LB not playing him doesn't make him lazy, unless LeBron and Amare are lazy too.

That being said Darko might as well go on IL because it's clear that Larry Brown is incapable of giving him meaningful minutes.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
I agree with ian. There was a brief point and time where Darko was playing lazy and without effort. He really looked like he didn't care, but I think someone told him about it (probaly multiple people) and the next few times he played very well. He recorded his career high at some point during that stint and he was rewarded with an extended stay on the bench. I don't think he's gotten meaningful minutes since then.

I haven't seen how he's look in his recent garbage time either.

·
Premium Member
9,371 Posts
ian said:
It's difficult for me to label Darko lazy when we never get a chance to see him. All the weight he put on when he first started with Detroit, the spending extra hours practicing every day, what all the players say about him don't tell me he's lazy. It's really easy to look at a few games where the Pistons were up or down 20 and Darko didn't dominate and call him lazy. LB not playing him doesn't make him lazy, unless LeBron and Amare are lazy too.

That being said Darko might as well go on IL because it's clear that Larry Brown is incapable of giving him meaningful minutes.
By laziness I meant how bored he seems when he is out there in garbage minutes. Games have to be played at full speed at all times, even more so if you aren't already getting 35 minutes per game. Show fire even when we're winning by twenty points and good things will happen.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Q. It looks like Ronald Dupree is the odd-man out in terms of the playoff roster. Why won't the Pistons put Darko Milicic on the injured list?

A. It's not set in stone that Dupree is out, but, barring a real injury or another setback for Carlos Delfino, it looks like that's the decision the Pistons have made.

Here's what I think is going on with Milicic. The Pistons' front office -- by that I mean president Joe Dumars and vice president John Hammond -- made a commitment to Milicic when they drafted him.

They said to themselves (not to the coaches or Milicic), no matter what, this kid is going to be on the roster unless he was really injured. They believe he needs at least that much emotional security, and that was the only guarantee they gave him.

Whatever happens beyond that, in terms of earning playing time or whatever, is between Milicic and the coaching staff.

Has he earned the right, through his practice efforts and the tiny bit of game action, to be on the playoff roster? Probably not.

Is he one of the top 12 players on the team? Probably not.

If the Pistons should ever get to a point where they had to play a fifth big man, Darvin Ham would get the call before Milicic.

In that sense, Dupree probably would be more valuable to the postseason roster. If, say, Delfino's knee should act up, the Pistons will wish Dupree was available.

But that's a pretty minor hypothetical, especially given how little Brown likes to use his bench in the playoffs.

Dumars and Hammond, unlike the coaching staff, have to worry about both this year's playoffs, and future playoffs.

They made a commitment to Milicic, who, like it or not, represents the future of this organization, and they are going to honor it.
http://www.detnews.com/2005/pistons/0503/31/D04-134721.htm

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
I thought Dupree was playing a lot better lately too. I am hoping he makes the postseason roster instead of Ham. I like both of them but I think Ronald has a much greater upside for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts