Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday, March 28, 2006

By Phil Axelrod, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Northeastern basketball coach Ron Everhart was in town yesterday to interview with Duquesne president Charles Daugherty and athletic director Greg Amodio for the men's job.

Kent State coach Jim Christian also is believed to have had conversations with the Duquesne administration yesterday.

By all indications, Duquesne is ready to hire a coach in the next couple days. The status of Ohio State assistant John Groce, a longtime friend of Amodio who has discussed the Duquesne situation with Amodio the past three months, is unclear.

Amodio and Groce didn't return phone calls yesterday.

Everhart reportedly met with Amodio last week in Cincinnati.

Duquesne is prepared to offer its new coach an annual salary in the neighborhood of $350,000, a substantial increase for all of the candidates.

Everhart, 44, who grew up in Fairmont, W.Va., just south of Morgantown, has a five-year record of 82-68 at Northeastern, which competes in the Colonial Athletic Association. Everhart was 92-104 in seven seasons at McNees State before coming to Northeastern.

Everhart, who took McNees State to the NIT in 2000-01 and Northeastern last season, was mentioned briefly when Duquesne was looking for a coach five years ago. The Dukes hired Danny Nee, who retired after going 3-24 this season.

Christian, 40, has an 89-40 record in four seasons at Kent State. The Golden Flashes were 25-9 this season with a 79-64 loss to Pitt in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

Christian was an assistant at Pitt from 1996-99 and at St. Francis from 1992-94.

· Registered
9,811 Posts
hoopcat said:
might as well take the money before NU becomes a bottom of the barrel CAA team.
:clap:

Yeah, I wonder what coaches at Northeastern, Towson and Delaware (whoops.....they don't even have a coach right now) think about the success at George Mason, ODU, and Hofstra? It's great for those schools, but I don't see how it benefits the Huskies, Tigers and Blue Hens other than making it virtually impossible to win a Championship in that league now. Oh well, at least they'll get some money to help subsidize their Olympic Sports travel budgets.

· Premium Member
34,583 Posts
I don't think losing Everhart would be much of a loss for Northeastern, I don't think he is that great of a coach, personally.

Northeastern this year is an interesting case study. The finished 5th in what has been the strongest CAA in years, and went 19-11 games overall. Not bad for a team in its first year in the CAA-

But on the other side,

Northeastern was stacked this year by any standards. When is the last time (and next time) Northeastern will feature two legit NBA prospects in their starting 5? Barea and James were arguably the two best individual players in the CAA. Why couldn't they do what Hofstra, UNC-Wilmington, and George Mason did this year? Seriously, I watched all 4 teams play and there was no reason Northeastern couldn't have beaten any of those teams.

Those are two opinions you can have, and I think both have a lot of truth to them.

Maybe Everhart knows he has a mountain to climb now and wants to come down?

· Premium Member
34,583 Posts
mainejeff said:
So you think that Northeatern will have a problem dupicating this season's success in the future?
Good question. Near-term- yes. But the CAA isn't going to be strong like this year every year, so maybe not.

All I know is that Everhart may not be the guy to lead them to success in the CAA, and their recruiting is going to have to ramp up quite a bit to be competitive.

· Premium Member
34,583 Posts
Done deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2387871

Good move for him, his stock is high and on paper he looks like he "turned around" a struggling Northeastern program.

I honestly don't think it is much of a loss, I think a lot of caoches could have equaled his record, if not exceeding it, during his tenure at NU. Still must be a bit unsettling for Husky fans.

· Registered
4,592 Posts
From ESPN.com:

By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Duquesne is expected to name Northeastern's Ron Everhart as its next men's basketball coach, multiple sources told ESPN.com Tuesday.

Everhart replaces Danny Nee.

Everhart led the Huskies to 19-11 overall, 12-6 in the conference in their first season in the Colonial Athletic Association after leaving the America East. A news conference might occur Thursday.

Everhart led NU to the NIT in 2005 after losing to Vermont in the America East tournament title game. The Huskies lost to Memphis in the first round.

Everhart was named coach of the year in 2004-05 in the America East.

Everhart is known to be a wide-open coach who likes to run and shoot the 3-pointer. Everhart plans on bringing an uptempo style to Duquesne.

The Dukes have been buried at the bottom of the Atlantic 10, 3-24 overall, 1-15 in the league. Everhart is known as a rebuilder, taking over McNeese State and Northeastern.

· Registered
5,211 Posts
Urban Barrister said:
I agree with you completely - but I imagine some of our CAA friends are going to view that statement as practically blasphemous.

Where are you, NUHF?!
NUHF was at the NIT watching a putrid ODU performance against a decent Michigan team. I actually got to plant a seed in Ralph Willard's ear about NU for Kevin.

I haven't talked to anyone at NU yet, but the deal was way too good to pass up, from what I'm told.

Not sure who's on O'Brien's list of candidates, to be honest. He's got ties up the yingyang given his days at Temple.

Hey, we thank Ron for what he's done. He represented NU, the AE, and the CAA well. You can't blame himfor doing what he did. He probably realized he wasn't getting a chance to go home any time in the near future, the money was REAL good, and he gets a longer term security from his wife and kids in an area where the cost of living is about 2/3 of that in Boston.

I wish nothing but success and happiness for Ron, Mirchana, and the twins. He gave me access to him, his staff and his players greater than most other coaches would likely ever give an alum, and for that I'm forever grateful.

It's a fact of life at this level. Guys like Wolffie aren't going to come around all that often.

As for Larry Greer, come on Senor Velez, he and I talk all the time. I'm sure it will come up in conversation some point soon. ;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.