Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DUQUESNE

L - Nov. 9 at Albany
L - Nov. 11 at Georgetown (Legends Classic)
L - NOV. 19 JAMES MADISON (LEGENDS CLASSIC)
W - NOV. 20 NORTH DAKOTA ATATE (LEGENDS CLASSIC)
W - NOV. 21 YOUNGSTOWN STATE (LEGENDS CLASSIC)
L - Nov. 28 at Appalachian State
W - DEC. 1 MAINE
L - Dec. 5 vs. Pittsburgh (at CONSOL Energy Center)
W - DEC. 8 NEW ORLEANS
L - DEC. 11 WEST VIRGINIA (at CONSOL Energy Center)
L - Dec. 15 at Robert Morris
W - DEC. 19 WESTERN MICHIGAN
L - Dec. 22 at Louisiana-Lafayette
L - Dec. 29 at Penn State

NONCON FORECAST: 5-9

A-10 FORECAST: 3-13

OVERALL PREDICTION: 8-22

The Dukes are such an unknown quanity, with a new coach and vastly altered roster, that it's very hard to predict their noncon slate. In these cases I tend to go very conservative and mark any questionable game, particularly on the road, as a loss.

Duquesne starts out with a very winnable game at Albany, whose top two scorers left prematurely. The A-10 has never done well at Albany and even though the Great Danes have some holes, I call it a loss. The Dukes get overwhelmed by Georgetown in a second straight game on the road.

In a three-game homestand, the Dukes lose their third straight to James Madison before grabbing wins over North Dakota State and Youngstown State.

JMU is a senior-laden, defensive-minded team that beat GW in Foggy Bottom last year. Youngstown is in the same boat as Duquesne. YSU returns three key players and has a bunch of unknowns after that. North Dakota State returns its top five scorers from a 17-win team and could easily pull the upset.

Dukes go on the road again and fall at Appalachian State.

Maine is not a good defensive team and is looking for a new point guard. Dukes win

In the next three games, Dukes sandwich a home win over a mediocre New Orleans team between losses to Pitt and West virginia. West Virginia will have former A-10 players Aaric Murray and Juwan Staten in tow.

Robert Morris beat Duquesne and LaSalle last year as part of a 26-win campaign. RMU returns four starters and should win at home. Keep in mind that new Dukes coach Jim Ferry knows RMU well from his time at Long Island, which is in the same league.

Western Michigan is starting fresh with a freshman-dominated team after losing 20 games. Dukes win.

Noncon sked ends on a negative note with road losses at Louisiana Lafayette (16-16) and Penn State (12-20). Both teams are young and inexperienced and VERY beatable, but the road is not kind.

If Ferry pulls out either game - or both - it would be a very good sign.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Even in a worst case scenario, I can't see the Dukes going 0-4 against Albany, JMU, Appy St, and Louisiana. Both Albany and Appy lost as many key players as the Dukes did. Not saying they will be easy wins, but they're all coin flips at worst. I think they should go 2-2 at a minimum and might even do better than that.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Thanks for the input WH!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts