Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Very bold, I know. I expect 13th* place.

Top 5 returning players:

#1 6'2 Sr G Sean Johnson 13.5 PPG, 1.4 APG (Likely to improve on last year's performance)

#2 6'5 Jr. SF Jerry Jones 6.4 PPG, 1.1 APG, 3.2 RPG (Very likely to improve)

#3 6'7 Sr F Andre Marhold 5.2 PPG, 4.0 RPG (Should remain a defensive force)

#4 6'6 So. F Kadeem Pantophlet 3.5 PPG, 0.4 APG (Likely to improve on last year's performance)

#5 6'8 PF/C Mamadou Datt 2.6 PPG, 2.2 RPG (Likely to improve if offseason surgery and recovery is successfull)

Top 3 incoming next year:
#1 6'5 SF Quevyn Winters (Former Baylor Commit), averaged 22.0 points, 9.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists for 30-13 M.A.C.K. Prep in 2011-12. Is a talented forward who brings size and scoring ability to the wing ... is an excellent fit for Duquesne's uptempo system ... also a capable passer and ballhandler ... is expected to make an immediate impact. A very college ready body. Expected to compete for a starting job on day one.

#2 5'10 PG Derrick Colter (Largo HS , Md.) True freshman point guard led Largo High School to a state championship in 2011-12 ... averaged over 20 points per game as a senior. Possesses outstanding speed, creativity and quickness. Averaged 22.5 points per game and shot 78.9 percent from the foul line in leading 22-5 Largo to the Class 2A state championship game and No. 13 ranking from the Washington Post... named second team All-Met by the Post ... also named 2012 All-Gazette ... led the Prince George's 3A/2A/1A league in scoring. Also averaged 26.2 ppg in five state playoff games. Expected to start on day one.

#3 6-2 PG Marvin Binney (incoming JUCO will have 3 years of eligibility) is expected to see action at the point guard spot ... excelled as a defender at NMJC, averaged 5.9 points, 2.3 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.3 steals per game for 23-9 New Mexico JC.

Other incoming players:

6'3 SG Jeremiah Jones (has shown inconsistency in his scoring thus far in summer league). Averaged 19.0 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game as a post-graduate for 14-14 SJNMA... shot 43 percent from the 3-point arc and 83 percent from the foul line. First team all-area as a senior for Class 4A Merrillville, Indiana. Entertained scholarship offers from Indiana State and Virginia Commonwealth prior to attending prep school.

6'8 F/G Ovie Soko (UAB transfer must sit out this year and have one year of elibility left) Finalist for the Great Britain 2012 Olympic team. Played in 88 games with 59 starts in three seasons at UAB ... started as a sophomore and junior for the Blazers ... has scored in double digits 28 times, all of which have come in his past 60 games ... has posted double-digit rebounds 14 times ... has 11 career double-doubles including eight as a junior. As a junior he averaged 8.3 points and 6.8 rebounds per game ... led the team with 28 steals, tied for second with 51 assists. Expected to be a start in 2013-2014.

Reactions: SpiderDave19

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was actually basing that off the previous 14 team league, I meant 13th*. Rhode Island, Fordham, and St. Bonaventure will finish behind the Mighty Dukes.

*Wow my math is really bad.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Rhode Island, Fordham, and St. Bonaventure will finish behind the Mighty Dukes.
If the Dukes finish better than the Bonnies this year, I'll literally eat my hat. That just isn't going to happen. The Dukes weren't very good last year AND they lost two of their best players. Duquesne was able to stay out of the basement because of a couple of strong guards. They just don't have any true big men. Without McConnell in particular, that team will be totally exposed. All new system, a bunch of total unknowns and spring scrap heap signees? Nah. Not finishing out of the bottom two.

·
Registered
582 Posts
To finish 12th in a 16 team league, there needs to be 4 teams below them.

To finish 12th they will most likely need to win at least 5 games. Not likely. The conference is loaded this season.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I hope Duquesne fans have enough blankets because the cellar is going to be really cold in February.

·
Registered
588 Posts
There are some signs of life at Duquesne, but I wouldn't be making any predictions for the upcoming year. No need to start acting like a UMass fan. I also expect the Bonnies to have another solid team this year.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hard not to see the Dukes as one of the 3 prime candidates for the basement. Who knows what will happen. But I don't see much basis for optimism with the depth of the league this upcoming year. Tough timing for them to blow it up, URI as well.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I was very skeptical of the Bonnies last year, as I thought they had underachieved the previous couple years, but was proven wrong in a big way. Schmidt has brought in solid A10 players and coached well. I think it will be a struggle for Duquesne this year. Ferry may well be a very solid coach, but the A10 coaches are very very good, so I don't think he will be able to pull off any miracles this year.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
A lot can happen at the bottom of the conference, and who knows if another team will implode mid-season. But relying on new pg's, lots of freshmen, and almost no real big men is going to be a struggle in a tough league. Either Duquesne or URI would be my pick for 16th.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I'd give the slight edge to the Dukes, due to the presence of 2012 Bob Vetrone A10 Media Award Winner Ray Goss. The intimidation factor from media row is worth 2-3 points per game.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I see Bona as a step ahead of Duquesne. Fordham, URI, Duquesne, and perhaps Charlotte (not as likely with Charlotte, but still a possibility IMO) will look at the bottom few to me. And, as antboy said, someone may implode, and that's why Charlotte was on the list to start with as the early candidate to implode.

I wouldn't go off saying DU won't finish last, even though I don't think we will. I do expect around 13th in the 16 team league.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
That's about right, in my opinion. Injuries will tell the story...like if Bona loses a Kloof, they could easily go into a tailspin and find themselves struggling mightily.

But going in, those three have to be the top candidates for the cellar, and I agree Charlotte has little margin for error and could be in the mix.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
That's about right, in my opinion. Injuries will tell the story...like if Bona loses a Kloof, they could easily go into a tailspin and find themselves struggling mightily.

But going in, those three have to be the top candidates for the cellar, and I agree Charlotte has little margin for error and could be in the mix.
I know spider fans like to tweak Charlotte, but as an admittedly biased Charlotte fan, I'd say Richmond is about as likely as Charlotte to finish at the bottom. The Spiders were only one spot higher in the standings last year, split the season series (and pulled out quite a tight win at home) and similarly rely on a lot of younger players, especially in the post.

The Niners really would have to implode to finish bottom four again in my view, but what signs point to this happening? It happened two years ago in a coaching change, very similar to what Richmond went through when Mooney took over. Last year's freshmen got a lot of experience and Braswell should be poised for an all-A10 type of season. I'm not saying they're likely to win the conference or anything, but I don't get the 15th or 16th place predictions.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I wouldn't predict Charlotte to finish 15th or 16th. Nor have I seen anyone else predict that.

I think that as of today, I would expect the bottom 3 to be URI, Duq, and Fordham. But I also think that one of those teams (Fordham, my best bet) can, and probably will, be a bit better than expected. And if I had to guess which team might be most likely to falter, I'd guess Charlotte. Just a guess. And it's based on my opinion that their players aren't as good as Richmond's, GW's, Bonnies, and any other team that might be a candidate.

One thing I know, teams will not play to the exact level that I or anyone else expects them to. Injuries occur, newcomers surprise, guys we expect to improve will regress. Doesn't stop us from making totally meaningless predictions based on our opinions.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have no hatred for St. Bonaventure. They are a rival but not a hated rival. I hate Pitt. I really saw St. Bonaventure as on one man team last year. If some guys can step up and become stars they might not fall as far as I expect.

I'm not really sure how a prediction to not finish last is as cocky as stating that Umass would win the league but I can't even count up to 16 apparently so what do I know?!

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
At this level of basketball, "one man teams" don't win A-10 titles. This league is way too good for that. There's no question that Nicholson was the best player and took his game to another level, but Bona has some really good A-10 players coming back next year. I know this: SBU would not have had the season it did without the play of Charlon Kloof, Demitrius Conger, Jordan Gathers, Youssou Ndoye, Matthew Wright, and others down the stretch. Every one of those guys took their games to a new level from around February through the end of the season. That was truly a team effort--especially on the defensive end.

Also, I appreciate your optimism with the Dukes. There's no reason to think they'll be down very long, but looking at that roster from a distance makes 2012-2013 seem like a tough road. This fall will be a huge class for Ferry.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
When you Dukes guys keep referencing "Umass fans predicting league titles" to show that you are not cocky or delusional, it adds no credibility. So you're not as delusional as the 2 resident Umass trolls....that doesn't tell us how you think you're roster is good enough to finish anywhere north of 15th. Who are you going to beat? You never win every game you think you should or lose every game you think you should, but which games should you win? There aren't more than a couple based on roster talent, and with a new coach you can't say that you'll add a couple wins based on coaching, like a team like SLU can.

I think the majority of SLU, Umass, SJU, X, etc. fans like their teams. Throw the trolls out, and they have good reason to expect to be very competitive.

I see little reason for optimism for the Dukes as they rebuild this year, when faced with how strong most of the league projects to be. I think they made a good hire, but they'll take some lumps this week.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts