Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm still pissed at Comcast for their refusal to carry NBATV, but every once in a while they drop me a bone...

Today, the gave Bostoners Southwest Atlanta Christian (featuring Dwight Howard) vs. Brooklyn--Lincoln (Sebastian Telfair). THey also had an early game featuring Josh Smith which I unfortunately missed. Heres my take:

Sebastian Telfair: Closest NBA projection TJ Ford.

Telfair has some of the sauce that makes Ford special. He has decent court vision and decision making skills, and the creativity when finishing to the hoop that small men need. Though, color me unimpressed as a pro prospect. I'm not saying that Telfair will never make it in the league, but he is still more then a year away from being able to make the jump. He suffers some of Ford's weaknesses in that he has a poor and inconsistent range. Even more disconcerting is that, unlike Ford, he has a painfully slow release. He put up a number of face to the basket moves that if he tried in College (let alone the pros) would get sent right back in his face and even his strengths such as ball skills are not going to cut it on the next level/ I doubt he has the moxie to guard players that are considerably larger and stronger then him. So much of drafting is based on potential, and I don't see why Telfair couldn't develop into a legit pro, but do you spend a pick now on a player with such marginal skills?

Dwight Howard: Closest NBA projection maybe Etan Thomas???.

I am also unconvinced by Dwight Howards ability to push stright to the pro's. He has a classic pf build, but much like Sergio Mcclain, you can tell he isn't doing the right type of lifting. He looks big as an ox but it is the type of muscle thats slows one down, not makes one more explosive. As far as play, I see the same mistakes that have mired our young bigs: Weak finisher around the hoop; Slow leaper and descion maker; Leaves his feet consistently on defense; Brings the ball down every play; No range on his shot; He was hitting his ft, but his form was suspect--You can tell he would not shoot a very high percentage on the next level; Lost in the open court; slow to make adjustments to rebounds.

Most disconcerting was the fact that, unlike Telfair, Howard wasn't really dominating the flow of the game. He made defensive stops, but wasn't the man among boys that I expected from the rumored first pick in the draft. I have heard people say he is ready to play the 3, but I don't see it. He clearly doesn't have the ball skills or the range. There was a number of times that Howard took the ball up the court, cringe! ... If he tried that in college, let alone the pros, he would be embarassed. Needs to play college ball--end of story.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!
I'm still pissed at Comcast for their refusal to carry NBATV, but every once in a while they drop me a bone...

Today, the gave Bostoners Southwest Atlanta Christian (featuring Dwight Howard) vs. Brooklyn--Lincoln (Sebastian Telfair). THey also had an early game featuring Josh Smith which I unfortunately missed. Heres my take:

Sebastian Telfair: Closest NBA projection TJ Ford.

Telfair has some of the sauce that makes Ford special. He has decent cort vision and decision making skills, and the creativity when finishing to the hoop that small men need. Though color me unimpressed as a pro prospect. I'm not saying that Telfair will never make it in the league, but he is still more then a year away from being able to make the jump. He suffers some of Ford's weaknesses in that he has a poor and inconsistent range. Even more disconcerting is that, unlike Ford, he has a painfully slow release. He put up a number of face to the basket moves that if he tried in College (let alone the pros) would get sent right back in his face and even his strengths such as ball skills are not going to cut it on the next level/ I doubt he has the moxie to guard players that are considerably larger and stronger then him. So much of drafting is based on potential, and I don't see why Telfair couldn't develop into a legit pro, but do you spend a pick now on a player with such marginal skills?

Dwight Howard: Closest NBA projection maybe Etan Thomas???.

I am also unconvinced by Dwight Howards ability to push stright to the pro's. He has a classic pf build, but much like Sergio Mcclain, you can tell he isn't doing the right type of lifting. He looks big as an ox but you can tell it is the muscle is slowing him down. As far as play, I see the same mistakes that have mired our young bigs: Weak finisher around the hoop; Slow leaper and descion maker; Leaves his feet consistently on defense; Brings the ball down every play; No range on his shot; He was hitting his ft, but his form was suspect--You can tell he would not shoot a very high percentage on the next level; Lost in the open court; slow to make adjustments to rebounds.

Most disconcerting was the fact that, unlike Telfair, Howard wasn't really dominating the flow of the game. He made defensive stops, but wasn't the man among boys that I expected from the rumored first pick in the draft. I have heard people say he is ready to play the 3, but I don't see it. He clearly doesn't have the ball skills or the range. There was a number of times that Howard took the ball up the court and it made me cringe... If he tried that in college, let alone the pros, he would be embarassed. Needs to play college ball--end of story.
i have to say i disagree with your opinion of telfair i think he has alot of talent more than enough to make the jump(although i dont think he should) . but he need s to learn to pass more IMO but his ballhandling abilities are excellent, he takes anyone he wants off the dribble

·
Registered
54 Posts
when is this game? dwight against telifair???

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Dwight Howard squares off against Sebastian Telfair

Originally posted by <b>happygrinch</b>!

i have to say i disagree with your opinion of telfair i think he has alot of talent more than enough to make the jump(although i dont think he should) . but he need s to learn to pass more IMO but his ballhandling abilities are excellent, he takes anyone he wants off the dribble
Could be, Telfair was downright careless with the ball at times, but he was also playing against highschoolers who weren't going to take advantage ...kind'a like Lebron poaching on defense last year.

Also, the thing that I didn't write above is that Telfair's team won due to his shear force of will. Successful small players in the league (Boykins, Iverson, Ford etc...) all have a fearlessness that is a hallmark of Telfair's game. If I would could choose which player I would rather see go pro, I'm hedging for telfair, but I agree that he should go to college.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>jj9487</b>!
when is this game? dwight against telifair???
There was a double header this morning, on CN8, the Comcast news station in Boston. The first game that I missed featured Oak Hill. The second was the one I wrote about above.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Dwight Howard squares off against Sebastian Telfair

Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!

Could be, Telfair was downright careless with the ball at times, but he was also playing against highschoolers who weren't going to take advantage ...kind'a like Lebron poaching on defense last year.

Also, the thing that I didn't write above is that Telfair's team won due to his shear force of will. Successful small players in the league (Boykins, Iverson, Ford etc...) all have a fearlessness that is a hallmark of Telfair's game. If I would could choose which player I would rather see go pro, I'm hedging for telfair, but I agree that he should go to college.
i've never seen telfair play in HS I'm basing my opinion off of what he did this summer at the EBC where whe he was going up against players much older , in college and some pro's nba and abroad,to me he has the game ...but i'm not sure i'd want him running my team just yet which is why i think he should go to college, but i figure if he could stand out there (the rucker) his talent is the least of his problems

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
they are not the next lebron's so don't worry/hype them so much now. let them come into their own first before any of this junk

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One last thing that I forgot to write about Dwight Howard:

He has amazing hands. I don't think he bobbled the ball all game. Just repeating myself now, but I really hope he goes to college: he is the type of player that may never put his post footwork or sf material together if he makes the jump...wasted talent :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts