Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reminder for the draftniks here

Dwight Howard plays on Friday night 8pm est on ESPN 2 against fast rising 7 footer Randolph Morris. I wont be able to watch is so please post comments here. Thanks

Rlucas

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mods can we change the name of this thread to the Dwight Howard vs Randolph thread?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Okay, I'll make sure to catch the game. I'm not a fan of the guys right out of high school, so I might be a bit bias. Just letting you know :D

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
Okay, I'll make sure to catch the game. I'm not a fan of the guys right out of high school, so I might be a bit bias. Just letting you know :D
JTCK

Ill take any opinion. I just dont enough of Howard. I dont want another HS kid, but we should never say never

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
anyone watching the game? I am. Both guys need college IMO. They both have talent but need a year or two in college.
Agreed TBF, I think both would benefit quite a bit from college.

So far I've been more impressed with Morris, but it seems as if Howard is having foul trouble, so its tough to gauge him.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Halftime thoughts:

Randolph Morris was played by Howard in the post single coverage to start the game but quickly got Howard in foul trouble with his post game. He has an excellent back to the basket game. Not nearly as athletic as Howard, but he definitely has very nice moves in the post. His game as a whole reminds me of Sean May from Carolina, or even Zac Randolph. Morris goes right to the hole and knows how to draw contact. Hes a great shotblocker, and very aggressive on the boards, especially the offensive boards. Defense didnt double him until he made his move to the hoop. Aggressive player with great hands. The announcers compared him to Tim Duncan because hes soft spoken with great post game and soft hands. Didnt cover Howard at all in the 1st half, played the part of the help defender. Got to the line 4 times in the first half, made 3-8. 11 pts, 6 rebs, 4 blocks at halftime for Morris.

Howard has been covered very well in half court set, theyve had 2-3 guys on him before he even touches the ball. He has beat the defense down the floor at times so hes gotten dunks because his man was running with him but couldnt guard him alone. Had 4 dunks in the first half, one of them he was fouled on. Hasnt been covered by Morris at all. Lost some aggressiveness in the 2nd quarter due to the foul trouble. Didnt cover Morris in the 2nd quarter. His quickness on his post moves makes him hard to cover, and in single coverage has got a dunk everytime. Reminds of a ton of Amare Stoudamire. His post moves have been pretty basic, nothing fancy, just using his athleticism to get an easy shot. Hasnt proved to be a good shotblocker yet, but his presence under the hoop has made everyone on the other team hesitant to come in the lane other than Morris. 11 pts, 4 rebs at halftime for Howard.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I think Morris will end up being the better player. He is easily the more skilled player, but doesnt posess the same athleticism as Howard. Its only halftime though, so maybe theres more to their games.

Both guys do need college.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Jerry West and Pat Riley watching the game (together). Announcers saying Okafor is easily the much better pick than Howard and that Howard should go to college. Also saying that the draft has turned to crap because of so many high school kids coming out and GMs taking them with high picks.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Announcer: Shelden Williams can dominate both of these guys right now.

Also, they were right in saying that both of these guys are terrible shooters right now.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I am not impressed with Howard. I am impressed with Randolph. I don't know if he is always like this, but he looks like he can be a great player in the future. Both of them need college badly. I don't see the Amare Stoudamire meanness and physique from Howard that makes me think he could be the next Amare.

He does look like the next Kwame Brown though.

This really underscores how special Lebron is/was. I was watching Lebron play high school games last year on ESPN2. And it felt like I was watching something special, once in a life time type deal. I don't get that feeling from either of these two guys. I think Randolph could be a Tim Duncan down the line. He seems very intelligent on the floor already. But he needs to go to a good school and stay for awhile like Tim did.

As far as what I like about Howard. He dunks every thing around the basket. Nothing soft. Ever. But again, Amare did the same as well, but I think Amare had a nastiness to his game that scared people. I think Howard will just get his dunks thrown back at him more often than not.

Amare is more like Kemp around the basket. Howard is more like Jamal Magloire.

At any rate, the Bulls need to stay as far away from these guys as possible. And if they can get the number 1 and trick the Hawks into dealing something for Howard then they should do it. A Brand for Chandler type of deal. Except make it Stephen Jackson and a Pick.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Morris is a VERY skilled post player. He has the most skills in the post I've seen in high school in a while. All but 1 of Howards shots have been dunks, so its hard to see what kind of touch he has around the hoop.

Morris reminds me a ton of Sean May. Great post game and knows how to get to the free throw line, good rebounder, good shotblocker. Needs to get up and down the court quicker though.

Howard gets up and down the court very well for a big man.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Random thoughts:

- Howard shouldn't show off by shooting 3's when the game isn't completely in hand

- Note to announcers: You can't say that Morris is a great student and say that he scored 1050 on his SATs. 1050 is pretty below-average.

- Morris has great moves but he doesn't have the soft touch that Zach Randolph has.

- Howard is not underhyped, he's overhyped. People on the board say that he's as good as LeBron but I don't see it. LeBron is once-in-a-generation player, Howard looks like any other athletic bigman.

- They need to bulk up before they can make an impact. Howard can't play the dunk-everything-around-basket game in the NBA and expect to be successful.

- I'm sick of the announcers talking about how "sweet" the kids are by taking potshots at LeBron. Who cares if he drives a hummer, they're making it seem like LeBron was a jerk. I'm sure they're mature but they should be talking about their game, not if they do chores around the house or watch Finding Nemo.

- Okafor would kill these guys. He's light-years ahead of them in terms of strength and court intelligence.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
And Howard fouls out and his team looks like they may lose.

I wouldn't even take this guy in the lottery. He should be a upper-middle 1st round pick.

GO TO SCHOOL YOUNG MAN!!

And yeah the potshots at Lebron are kind of dumb. Lebron has proven that he is the most mature high schooler to make the jump since probably KG.

I'm worried about Howard's "sweetness" turning into Kwame Brown softeness.

He's going to go from a christian school of 300 in the south to some big city o' sin on a bad team with temptations abound...seems like recipe for disaster. He should go to college and ease into the real world a little more.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Like A Breath</b>!
- Morris has great moves but he doesn't have the soft touch that Zach Randolph has.
I dont know about that, obviously Randolphs touch is better now that hes refined it over time in college...but I doubt that his touch was better at the same age, Morris has great hands and such a nice touch around the hoop.

Hes a guy I will continue to watch in college. I think hes more of a prospect than Howard is.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Howard should go to school but I don't blame him for declaring. His potential will probably fool some GM to take him in the top 3. If he went to college, I think more of his weaknesses would be exposed. This is as high as his stock will be. Right now, I don't see anything more than a Stromile Swift clone.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I agree with everyone about Howard. Athleticism is deceiving at the high school level. Howard had 5 points that werent dunks because he can bully around high school kids. Stromile Swift is a nice comparison.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Like A Breath</b>!
Random thoughts:

- Howard shouldn't show off by shooting 3's when the game isn't completely in hand

- Note to announcers: You can't say that Morris is a great student and say that he scored 1050 on his SATs. 1050 is pretty below-average.

- Howard is not underhyped, he's overhyped. People on the board say that he's as good as LeBron but I don't see it. LeBron is once-in-a-generation player, Howard looks like any other athletic bigman.

- They need to bulk up before they can make an impact. Howard can't play the dunk-everything-around-basket game in the NBA and expect to be successful.

- I'm sick of the announcers talking about how "sweet" the kids are by taking potshots at LeBron. Who cares if he drives a hummer, they're making it seem like LeBron was a jerk. I'm sure they're mature but they should be talking about their game, not if they do chores around the house or watch Finding Nemo.

- Okafor would kill these guys. He's light-years ahead of them in terms of strength and court intelligence.
1050 can be considered good in certain circumstances, but it definitely is not below average when the average SAT score is about 1000 by design.

Also Amare Stoudamire was also all about athleticism and he had a trmendous rookie campaign.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Who won the game? Did SACA pull it out? My durn Tivo cut out with a minute left. :upset:

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Morris team won the game. It was close, pretty good game at the end. Came down to the last couple possessions.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts