Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- There appears to be room for only one Superman in Los Angeles.

Lakers center Dwight Howard called out Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday, responding to the former Lakers star and current TNT analyst's comments that both the Philadelphia 76ers' Andrew Bynum and the Brooklyn Nets' Brook Lopez are the true best big men in the game today.

"I don't care what Shaq says," Howard told reporters after practice. "Shaq played the game. He's done. He's gone. It's time to move on."

Speaking in a roundtable discussion with fellow TNT analysts posted on NBA.com last week, O'Neal placed Howard below Lopez and Bynum because of his "pick-and-roll" style of play.

"We as players, we always watch people before us," O'Neal said. "When I came in it was Patrick Ewing and Hakeem Olajuwon, guys who played like true centers who played inside. What we have now are centers that are going to the European style, which is a lot of pick-and-roll. Dwight Howard, who's a pick-and-roll player, some people say he's the best center in the league, but me being an old-school center, I'm going to go with Robin Lopez and Andrew Bynum because they play with their back to the basket."

O'Neal later corrected himself to say he was speaking about Brook Lopez and not his brother Robin, who plays for the New Orleans Hornets.

Howard, who practiced without any limitations for the third straight day as he recovers from offseason back surgery, pointed out what he perceived as O'Neal being a hypocrite.

"He hated the fact when he played that the older guys were talking about him and how he played and now he's doing the exact same thing," Howard said. "Just let it go. There's no sense for him to be talking trash to me. He did his thing in the league. He's one of the most dominant players to ever play the game. Just sit back and relax. You did your thing. Your time is up. So, I don't really care. I don't really care. He can say whatever he wants to say."
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8463071/los-angeles-lakers-dwight-howard-shaquille-oneal-time-move-on

·
Last Winter Was The Coldest
2,594 Posts
As much as I love Shaq, this is the right attitude for Dwight. He needs to stop caring what others say (cause he'll be getting shit this season from crowds and such) and just play ball like he knows how to.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Shaq is bitter as hell. Every Center before him had no problem taking the next one under their wing if they asked and showing them the ropes, but he's being a bitch.

I've always defended Shaq on here but he's full of it, cause if Dwight wins one he's gonna be on some "I always knew he could do it I was giving him tough love" shit.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Bynum? I guess you could argue something if you really struggled. But Brook ****ing Lopez? No.

Sorry, but no. Brook Lopez isn't even the 2nd best center in the East, let alone a guy to put up there with Dwight.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Bynum? I guess you could argue something if you really struggled. But Brook ****ing Lopez? No.

Sorry, but no. Brook Lopez isn't even the 2nd best center in the East, let alone a guy to put up there with Dwight.
Everytime I type Brook Lopez's name I have to immediately go lift weights. The way he plays reminds me of the 40 year old virgin

·
Will of Chilltown
3,722 Posts
That would be funny if he actually did mean Robin, of course Bynum is better (free throws, post moves, shooting). But Lopez aint.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
If Dwight really didn't care he wouldn't have replied to it.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Well, someone asked him a question. It wasnt like he just released a statement saying those things.

Shaq has always disliked Dwight. I think Shaq feels like Dwight stole the "superman" nickname from him. Which is very childish to begin with, but hey, its Shaq.

Shaq's comments were so stupid though, that they are really easy to dismiss. Shaq didnt even get the right Lopez brother the first time. If he were really the 2nd best center in the game, you'd think Shaq would know his name.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
Shaq is bitter as hell. Every Center before him had no problem taking the next one under their wing if they asked and showing them the ropes, but he's being a bitch.

I've always defended Shaq on here but he's full of it, cause if Dwight wins one he's gonna be on some "I always knew he could do it I was giving him tough love" shit.
That's exactly what he'll do. On the bright side, this should be a nice galvanizing force for Kobe and Dwight. Mutual dislike of Shaq. Kobe hated Shaq because he didnt work hard. Thats not an issue with Dwight.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Well, someone asked him a question. It wasnt like he just released a statement saying those things.

Shaq has always disliked Dwight. I think Shaq feels like Dwight stole the "superman" nickname from him. Which is very childish to begin with, but hey, its Shaq.
If Dwight had just said: "I don't care what Shaq says," Howard told reporters after practice. "Shaq played the game. He's done. He's gone. It's time to move on." I would believe him, but that last paragraph of the article lead me to believe he has put some thought into it.

And Dwight did steal the superman from him. I mean if Kyrie Irving starts calling himself the "Black Mamba" he should be mocked as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts