Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
once again telfair steps up to lead his team to victory. I dont get it, if the guy is worth the #1 overall pick he should be able to lead his team to victory against other hs teams in the country that are good too. Lost to randolph morris' team, and my hometown team lincoln railsplitters. GO TELFAIR!!! Once again great job scoring and distributing the basketball. Stupid announcer kept trying to give howard every excuse in the world blaming the refs etc.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
I haven't seen either game, so I won't comment too much, but I'm guessing NBA teams don't care much how good his team is. It takes more than one dominant player to win games, and if the rest isn't that great (compared to the competition), then they'll lose.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
There is only one guy I would pick #1 as of right now and that would be Okafor. He is dominating night in and night out in the NCAA and has since he was a freshman.

Smith would be the only other guy. He is another high schooler who is under the radar now, but come June he will more then likely be a top 5 pick unless he goes to college.

Guys like Howard and Pavel, from what I have heard and seen are way too raw. Both will need years of seasoning before they becoming good. Think Darko and J. O'Neal (I know O'Neal is great now, but it took him like 6 years to get there).

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Idunkonyou</b>!
There is only one guy I would pick #1 as of right now and that would be Okafor. He is dominating night in and night out in the NCAA and has since he was a freshman.

Smith would be the only other guy. He is another high schooler who is under the radar now, but come June he will more then likely be a top 5 pick unless he goes to college.

Guys like Howard and Pavel, from what I have heard and seen are way too raw. Both will need years of seasoning before they becoming good. Think Darko and J. O'Neal (I know O'Neal is great now, but it took him like 6 years to get there).
Well then if you feel that way about Howard you definitley have to feel the same about Josh Smith

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

Well then if you feel that way about Howard you definitley have to feel the same about Josh Smith
What I meant is if I had to take a high schooler right now, I would take Smith over Howard.

As far as #1 is concerned, it is a no brainer. Okafor is the man.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Losing high school games shouldn't affect his status.. He will be drafted because of his illimitate potential.. High school games are ridicolous..

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
All I know is that when I saw Howard against Morris, Morris looked like the guy I would want my team to draft. Not Howard. And they both looked like they needed some seasoning.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Josh Smith definitely killed his draft stock yesterday against Cardinal Dougherty, he struggled the whole game and was outplayed by Shane Clark. Yes Smith is a freak athlete but besides that the rest of his game leaves a lot to be desired. I hope teams tell him he won't be a first round pick, because he needs college, his game will benefit a lot from a year or 2 in college rather than just sitting on the bench of an NBA team for 3 years.

Howard didn't win because Lincoln's team is simply better and should have won by a lot more. They held a 16 point lead and stopped scoring. More than anything Sebastian proved he will be in the NBA next year, how many high school kids have the ability to knock down a 20 footer off of a step back with 2 people on them? Now ask yourself how many players in the NBA can do that. As dominant as Howard is, Telfair could be just as dominant, with his ability to disrupt teams defenses and take the big man out of the middle, which is exactly what happened last night.

Howard had 23 points, 17 rebounds and 4 blocks, he was quietely a dominant player facing constant double and triple teams. Sebastian's 30 points and 9 assists was even more impressive, and I don't think there is any way he doesn't go in the lottery come June.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Howard had 23 points, 17 rebounds and 4 blocks, he was quietely a dominant player facing constant double and triple teams. Sebastian's 30 points and 9 assists was even more impressive, and I don't think there is any way he doesn't go in the lottery come June.
I agree about Telfair. He's pretty good, and could go anywhere from 8-15. As for Howard, he has an NBA body and tons of potential, but he's raw. Any team that takes him at #1 instead of Okafor will regret that decision.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
He won't slip past #2.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's a shame, but there is no way Okafor goes before Howard.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by <b>TucsonClip</b>!
Since when does winning in HS warrant where you are selected in the draft?
if your so friggan good peopel think you can go #1, and you cant win against the best HS teams how are you supposed to help beat the pro's in the near future?? If LeBron 's hs team went 1-15 then you would've known he couldnt be that great. OF course HS games tell you a lot about the player, why else do scouts attend?? we know telfair can play under pressure, through injury. He's a floorleader and motivates his teammates much like LeBron did. Howard is a different story. While TElfair is tlaking to his teammates on the floor on where to go, how to play, and telling them what they need to do to help win the game, howard's just standing there telling his teammates the throw the ball higher so he can alley oop it. Granted Telfair is a PG, i would like to see more leadership qualities in howard, or else he might just be another very good player with a yao ming attitude

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
There are players who just aren't leaders, that doesn't mean you aren't a great basketball player. LeBron's team went undefeated last year because they had 3 other division 1 players on that team, it wasn't just LeBron and a bunch of stiffs. There is no other division 1 senior on that team, while Javaris Critterton is certainly a division 1 prospect he is only a Sophomore.

Howard's team has 2 losses, not like they are losing left and right.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Howard is overrated. They always make excuses of why he doesnt put up monster numbers. I have an answer, maybe he isnt as good as people hype him to be. I think Al Jefferson is number one in the class. I would rate Telfair ahead of Howard b/c he can dominate a game unlike Howard. One "expert" said Howard still manged 23 despite being double and triple teamed. If you came to Al Jefferson's game, you would see him go for atleast 35 while being doubled and tripled.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sonny22</b>!
Howard is overrated. They always make excuses of why he doesnt put up monster numbers. I have an answer, maybe he isnt as good as people hype him to be. I think Al Jefferson is number one in the class. I would rate Telfair ahead of Howard b/c he can dominate a game unlike Howard. One "expert" said Howard still manged 23 despite being double and triple teamed. If you came to Al Jefferson's game, you would see him go for atleast 35 while being doubled and tripled.
Everything you said is true but you didnt mention that Al Jefferson doesnt pass worth anything and He has no range outside of 8 feet. Also using Howard still scoring 23 while Jefferson scoring at least 35 while being double and triple teamed isnt something that holds any weight in an argument

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
i couldn't see him... I won't able to see him till he goes to the Nba... but tell me.. does he remind u Kwame? Or has a different type of game..?

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BagFullOTreez</b>!
Are you serious? Have you ever seen Big Al Jefferson play! He has range out to the High School 3 easy. He is a Manimal bro. Make sure you make an educated post next time.http://www.bigalj.com/player_3.html
No sir you are mis informed. Just because a player has hit one or 2 3's doesnt mean he has that kind of range. You do realize that website is strictly for hype purposes. If you seriously watch him he doesnt have that range. He cant consistently knock it down. So sorry to disappoint but your post was actually uneducated and if you search Al Jefferson's name you will find I posted a very detailed scouting report on him at the end of his 11th grade year.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts