Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Dwyane Wade has really exploded into a top fifteen star this season--a feat that very few thought he would ever do--what do people her think he'll do next season, the year after next, etc. statistically? Also, what do think will be his individual/team awards. For instance, I think that next year he'll average 25 ppg 7.5 apg 5.5 rpg 1 bpg 2 spg. In my opinion, those numbers might not rise much, but that doesn't mean that he won't improve. MJ at 21 averaged 28 ppg, but was clearly an inferior player (mostly because of his "team-skills" hadn't evolved yet) to the early to mid-thirties version that won three straight titles.

So, for his career, I predict he'll average about 26 ppg 7 apg 6 rpg 1 bpg 2.5 spg. His numbers will also largely hinge on his position and the strength of his teammates in three-seven years. His stats as a shooting guard will most likely differ if he plays full-time point guard. If Dorrell Wright developes into an All-Star (a BIG if), he'll likely play shooting guard, pushing Dwade to the point.

As I've mentioned already, his statistics will depend on the competence of his teammates. The Heat are a veteran team, with a key roleplayer and superstar being thirty three. If they can retain Udonis Haslem, draft and sign free-agents well, they could have an excelent team for ten or so years.

So, I say he'll win two NBA titles, be the MVP of the regular season once, be the MVP of the finals once, never lead the league in scoring, lead the NBA in steals at least once, be names Defensive Player of the Year at least once, be named to four first team All-Defense, be named to four All-NBA First team five times, second team four times and third team twice, and average (in his current combo-guard role) 26 ppg 7 apg 6 rpg 2.5 spg 1 bpg for his career, although this numbers could be drastically different depending on his position, supporting cast, and health.

This excludes the very rearistic and unfortunate event of a serious, dehabilitating injury.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Wade making 1st team a couple times during his career is realistic, but he'll never win an MVP. I doubt he'll ever win a defensive player of the year award either, and I doubt he'll ever be 1st team defense. He is a good defender, but not a lockdown defender.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Wade could be an all league defender, but he's not a great man up defender because of his size at his position. That's the only reason why he can't guard Kobe. He's just too big. But he is athletically as good, and he's just as active. I like his game. He can do it all.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I say this quite a bit, Dwyane is NOT undersized. He's a shade under 6'5" with a shade under 6'11" wingspan, plus he has great athleticism and instincts. That is not an undersized shooting guard. He's a very big point and a slightly above average shooting guard, when his height and wingspan are factored in.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
His size or lack there of is the reason why he can not guard Kobe. Did you see him in the first quarter last night? He has the speed and quickness to stay with Kobe, but he doesn't have the size to keep up. Anytime Kobe would drive on Wade he was able to use his body estabilish position to elevate over him for an easy look or get to the basket. Wade was most effective defensively through help defense. When Eddie Jones switch(and Jones is not as quick as Wade or as athletic, but he's the better matchup because of his size and length) it slowed Kobe down some... Wade was able to play off his man, and help Jones with a shadow at times. Ultimately that's what took Kobe out of the game offensively, halftime adjustments... contain Kobe at all cost make the other players on the court beat us. Atkins got hot for a minute, but he's a hot/cold player. Cook hit some threes, Odom sort of disappeared. Just couldn't pull it out.

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
alex said:
Now that Dwyane Wade has really exploded into a top fifteen star this season--a feat that very few thought he would ever do--what do people her think he'll do next season, the year after next, etc. statistically? Also, what do think will be his individual/team awards. For instance, I think that next year he'll average 25 ppg 7.5 apg 5.5 rpg 1 bpg 2 spg. In my opinion, those numbers might not rise much, but that doesn't mean that he won't improve. MJ at 21 averaged 28 ppg, but was clearly an inferior player (mostly because of his "team-skills" hadn't evolved yet) to the early to mid-thirties version that won three straight titles.

So, for his career, I predict he'll average about 26 ppg 7 apg 6 rpg 1 bpg 2.5 spg. His numbers will also largely hinge on his position and the strength of his teammates in three-seven years. His stats as a shooting guard will most likely differ if he plays full-time point guard. If Dorrell Wright developes into an All-Star (a BIG if), he'll likely play shooting guard, pushing Dwade to the point.

As I've mentioned already, his statistics will depend on the competence of his teammates. The Heat are a veteran team, with a key roleplayer and superstar being thirty three. If they can retain Udonis Haslem, draft and sign free-agents well, they could have an excelent team for ten or so years.

So, I say he'll win two NBA titles, be the MVP of the regular season once, be the MVP of the finals once, never lead the league in scoring, lead the NBA in steals at least once, be names Defensive Player of the Year at least once, be named to four first team All-Defense, be named to four All-NBA First team five times, second team four times and third team twice, and average (in his current combo-guard role) 26 ppg 7 apg 6 rpg 2.5 spg 1 bpg for his career, although this numbers could be drastically different depending on his position, supporting cast, and health.

This excludes the very rearistic and unfortunate event of a serious, dehabilitating injury.
basically, you see wade as a top 15 player of all-time.

4 players have ever averaged 26/7/6 for a SINGLE SEASON. oscar (8x), hondo (2x), bird (1x), and jordan (1x). they didn't keep blocks and steals for oscar or hondo, but jordan or bird didn't have the 2.5 & 1 to go along with it.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
MiamiWade said:
Yes i saw him in the first quarter and the game. He embarrased Kobe .

Enough said.
If you try to be more objective you'll see otherwise. I'm a huge Dwayne Wade fan, but to say he completely embarrassed Kobe in the first is just not true. Kobe had 10 points in the first, all on Wade. He forced Wade into 3 turnovers in the 1st. Something like 5 boards in the 1st. If you really do believe Wade embarassed Kobe in the 1st, enough said... you're not watching the game with an open mind.

·
Registered
196 Posts
IV said:
If you try to be more objective you'll see otherwise. I'm a huge Dwayne Wade fan, but to say he completely embarrassed Kobe in the first is just not true. Kobe had 10 points in the first, all on Wade. He forced Wade into 3 turnovers in the 1st. Something like 5 boards in the 1st. If you really do believe Wade embarassed Kobe in the 1st, enough said... you're not watching the game with an open mind.
Why do you keep talking about the first quarter alone. A game is for 4 quarters and maybe more. We all saw what happened.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
MiamiWade said:
Why do you keep talking about the first quarter alone. A game is for 4 quarters and maybe more. We all saw what happened.
:laugh: You are very funny

I'm talking about the 1st quarter because I was responding to your post about the 1st quarter. Remember:

Yes i saw him in the first quarter and the game. He embarrased Kobe .

Enough said.
:laugh: One post and I keep talking about the 1st quarter... very funny. :laugh:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Alex, I agree that Wade has made a huge leap this season, after a very impressive rookie year. But it's still very early days. He would have to take several more leaps of this magnitude to start looking like a player who averages the kind of numbers you're talking about for an entire career. Let's see if he pulls it off for a season first. Right now he's a special player, but lots of things could happen. My projection right now would be more like 22.5 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 5.5 apg, and 1.5 spg. A terrific career, but not one of the all-time greats who stood out as completely unique, let alone who changed the way the game was played.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I think he'll put up Paul Pierce like numbers over his career except with higher fg%. Will never win MVP, but will get a few All-NBA 1rst teams and be a 6-7 time All-Star.

·
Registered
196 Posts
IV said:
:laugh: You are very funny

I'm talking about the 1st quarter because I was responding to your post about the 1st quarter. Remember:

:laugh: One post and I keep talking about the 1st quarter... very funny. :laugh:
You are actually the funny one. did you watch the game or were you in Kobe dreamland. In case you missed it.

Kobe shot 26% of the total Laker offense.

He also shot 34%. The lakers as as a whole shot 37%

Kobe - 8/23 - 26 points
Wade - 8/16 - 27 points

That was the story of the game.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
alex said:
For instance, I think that next year he'll average 25 ppg 7.5 apg 5.5 rpg 1 bpg 2 spg. In my opinion, those numbers might not rise much, but that doesn't mean that he won't improve. MJ at 21 averaged 28 ppg, but was clearly an inferior player (mostly because of his "team-skills" hadn't evolved yet) to the early to mid-thirties version that won three straight titles.
compare him to MJ...good idea.

·
Jib and thrust
7,501 Posts
MiamiWade said:
You are actually the funny one. did you watch the game or were you in Kobe dreamland. In case you missed it.

Kobe - 8/23 - 26 points
Wade - 8/16 - 27 points

You were the one who brought up the first quarter. IV responded. It seems pretty simple to understand IV's post and his replies.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
MiamiWade said:

Kobe - 8/23 - 26 points
Wade - 8/16 - 27 points

Actually the story of the game was Keyon Dooling coming off the bench and scoring 17 points in 20 minutes.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Vintage said:
I saw your rep power and immediately went to the bank.
Oh , I don't steal anymore , its just when they started doing the points thing somebody stole like 600 from me, so i tried to steal points back and i got lots of red bars.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NugzFan said:
compare him to MJ...good idea.

I'm not comparing him to MJ, I'm saying that a lot of basketball players "peak" statistically at an early age, but that doesn't mean that they don't improve. Michael Jordan is just one of many examples.

During Kareem's career with the Bucks, he averaged just two points below his Milwaukee average in his rookie year. That doesn't mean that he didn't improve much. In fact, he became (from what my very knowledgable uncles tell me) a much better player in his second through fifth season with the team (his sixth year was injury plaugued and resulted in a trade).

And now that I think of it, those numbers where a bit optimistic. For his career, I don't see why Dwyane can't put up close to what he does now, so around 24 ppg 7 apg 5 rpg. But as I've said before, this will largely depend on who his teammates are and his health (I suppose another factor will be at what age he retires at). If he remains healthy with bad teammates, he could put up numbers for his career that are even better then what he averages now. If the Heat and Laker trade never happened, DW would probably have higher stats.

And in response to the person who said that neither Jordan nor Oscar averaged 2.5 steals and 1 block per game, well, there's a first for everything :biggrin: .

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
I agree MiamiWade, you are getting indignant because he responded to the argument that you used. You started with the Wade embarrassed Wade in the first quarter argument, and then wonder why he responds saying that it wasn't true (which it was not). Now I will also agree that he outplayed Kobe for the game, but of course remember there is the Shaq factor. Simply put it is easier to play the game when you have a player of Shaquilles magnitude on your team.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts