Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my predictions for the Eastern Conference. I'd love for people to disagree, but if you do, put good reasons why, not just "You suck.".

1. New Orleans Hornets --
The key here is Jamal Mashburn is apparently finally healthy. The addition of Courtney Alexander, who has supposedly been impressive in camp, will allow them to move a starting caliber player to the bench in David Wesley, and will also keep them from having an undersized sg on the court. What pushes this team over the top is their bigs. Elden Campbell, PJ Brown, Jamaal Magloire, George Lynch.. and even reportedly Tractor Traylor has reported to camp in the best shape of his life. This team may have the best bigs in the league. Add that to a new home with fans that are gonna be jacked up to have an NBA team. People are seriosuly sleeping on this team.

2. Orlando Magic --
Grant Hill is finally healthy. If healthy, the only combo that comes close to Grant and Tmac in the East is Toine and Pierce. Orlando has upgraded their consistency and defense at the PG spot. They will also have improved rebounding with Grant Hill back and the additions on Humphrey, Oyedeji, and Shawn Kemp. And their bench will probably include 4 guys from last seasons starting lineup in Armstrong, Miller, Garrity, and Horace Grant. The key is Shawn Kemp and John Gabriel has said Kemp has been "inspirational" so far.. first to come, first to leave and he has been a leader in camp. Oyedeji will surprise and have an excellent season, playing like Ben Wallace's little brother and earning the starting PF spot by midseason.

3. New Jersey Nets --
I dont think the trade hurt this team, just changed the way they play. They lose some scoring at SF and C, but increased their defense and rebounding at those spots by a lot. Only problem is, Kidd and Kittles tend to be a little streaky scoring and Mutombo at times cant find the rim. They may struggle a bit at times scoring. and they have no "go-to" guy. Jefferson could be that guy, but is he ready for that this season? I think Jefferson will be a superstar and an All-Star, but not this year. Added to their depth with Chris Childs. This team could still be the one representing the East in the Finals.

4. Indiana Pacers --
Reportedly Jamal Tinsley is in the best shape of his life. This kid at times absolutely dominated games at times but wore out at the end of the year. He may have the best handles I have ever seen. Health is the key for this team. And Jermaine Oneal needs to become that superstar everyone thinks he will be. This team has a solid starting lineup and excellent defense, even on to the bench. Having Ron Artest and Brad Miller all season will be a big plus for this team. If they click, the could be dangerous. Will Jonathen Bender ever be any good? Who knows.

5. Washington --
Regardless of Michael Jordan, this team added a ton of talent. If the players' respect for MJ will allow them to all play together, this team could be real good. Their frontcourt is very solid with White, Haywood, Thomas, Jeffries and Brown. Brown has reportedly been impressive in camp and doesnt always like like a chicken with his head cut off. If MJ can stay healthy all season, this team will be a force come playoff time. They key for this team will be their outside shooting.. Hughes is a terrible 3pt shooter at PG and Stackhouse is only ok at SG. Even MJ is not a great 3pt shooter. Bryon Russel will help in that department. Those guys need to shoot a decent % from 3.

6. Toronto --
I have a feeling VC is going to come back with a vengeance next year. Although I think this team will be out before the 2nd round of the playoffs, just getting their will be an accomplishment. Losing Chris Childs and Keon Clark will hurt this team.. and their frontcourt is pitiful except for Antonio Davis. Davis will have to have a big season for this team and JYD will have to start earning his overpaid contract. But Vince is pissed and will carry this team. My prediction is he will lead the league in scoring and highlight reels. Morris Peterson also needs to step. I think Lamond Murray will be a huge help to this team and he should be starting at SF.

7. Boston --
The reason this team makes the playoffs -- Paul Pierce. The addition of Vin Baker doesnt add much but a small, soft, frontcourt scorer who doesnt block a lot of shots or rebound very well. And they are in a bad position at the PG position. This team will need Kedrick Brown to step up and provide some good minutes to be successful. The key each and every night will be Antone Walker. If he shoots 6 for 10 from 3, they can win. When he shoots 2 for 12 from 3, they will lose. The loss of Kenny Anderson has reportedly really hurt chemsitry.

8 Detroit --
Sorry Atlanta, but this team's defense will cause you to give back. This team hurt itself this season trading Stackhouse. It may turn out better in the future, but it hurts not. Hamilton has maybe the best mid-range game in the league, but he doesnt do much else. And Jon Barry, Corliss Williamson, and Ben Wallace all had career years last season and for guys like that, those types of seasons are rarely duplicated. Chauncey Billups is a decent pickup, but he is still only a backup scoring-PG, which is exactly what Atkins is/was. Tayshaun Prince will do nothing in the NBA, althought Mehmet Okur helps some. I don't understand letting go of a high pick in Rodney White for next to nothing, especially when you starting SF is Michael Curry. Ben Wallace is a true badass, but you cant outscore your opponents with rebounds and blocks.

---
Close Calls --

Atlanta -- A lot of talent, but no experience playing together. Their PG situation is very sketchy and losing DerMarr Johnson hurts. They will be in the playoffs next season.

Philly -- I dont understand how KVH and T-Mac Canada fit in with AI, but maybe Brown does.

Milwaukee -- The pickup of Anthony Mason killed this team. I tried telling people that was a terrible pickup when it happened, but nobody listened. This team is about to implode and George Karl might have a breakdown this season. Tim Thomas would need to have an All-Star caliber season to make the playoffs, but I dont see that happening.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Dee Bo, good work, but remember to SAVE YOUR WORK on Microsoft Word or wherever, because the OFFICIAL 2002-03 basketballboards.net season predictions post comes out on October 15th! On October 15th, I (or somebody) will make a "Put your official 2002-03 season predictions here, everybody!" post, and it's OFFICIAL, we're going to save it and everything. I know that I have been changing my predictions on pretty much a daily basis. Well, on October 15th, no more waffling--we make our picks, and that's that!

Here's the link to my earlier post for more details: http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8120

Get to work, peoples! Click on the link above for details!

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Dee Bo</b>!
8 Detroit --
This team hurt itself this season trading Stackhouse...Jon Barry, Corliss Williamson, and Ben Wallace all had career years last season and for guys like that, those types of seasons are rarely duplicated...Chauncey Billups is a decent pickup, but he is still only a backup scoring-PG, which is exactly what Atkins is/was... Tayshaun Prince will do nothing in the NBA...I don't understand letting go of a high pick in Rodney White for next to nothing, especially when you starting SF is Michael Curry...Ben Wallace is a true badass, but you cant outscore your opponents with rebounds and blocks.
The team didn't hurt itself in trading Stackhouse. Hamilton is almost just as good, he just doesn't have a great all-around offensive game. Everyone talks about how Rip plays no D...well neither does Stackhouse.

Years hard to repeat? Since when? I've heard multiple people say this...why can't they have great years again. Jon Barry, Williamson and Wallace will all have fantastic years.

Billups...decent backup? He started most of the season for the Minnesota Timberwolves. Here are some of his stats:

Regular season...
12.5ppg 5.5apg 2.8rpg 42.3%FG 39.4%3P 88.5%FT

Playoffs...
22.0ppg 5.7apg 5.0rpg 45.1%FG 40.0%3P 70.0%FT

The only numbers that didn't go up were his FT%. He's a great player that can be a good 2nd or 3rd option on any team.

Tayshaun Prince won't be great, but he will definitely contribute and have his moments in his first deason.

Rodney White...he clearly wasn't doing anything in Detroit, so why waste the cap and roster space? He may do something for the Nuggets, but he wasn't going to ever get the oppurtunities in Detroit. The move gives Detroit more cap and more picks.

And Ben Wallace is the defensive power house that can throw down a dunk 2 or 3 times a game. If everyone else contributes what they should be able to, Ben Wallace will be able to win games with blocks and rebounds. Basketball games are won with defense. Detroit has A LOT of defense.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
nice, however reading through your assessments you are easily influenced by training camp reports.

training camp is a time for teams to learn and practice - not to get reports on teams. why? because all teams are overly positive this time of year. all bad teams think they can surprise. all average teams think they can advance. all great teams think they can beat the lakers. its full of crap. players are all excited but give them one month and watch it all change. it happens every year. fact is teams will lose and whine and people get upset while the teams that do succeed actually back up their preseason talk. most teams dont come close.

hell, read nugget reports - sounds like we should win 50!

dont get me wrong, i love reading training camp reports. i just know 99% of what i read is inaccurate in some way. i mean these guys who look impressive - they are playing against their backups most of the time!

·
Registered
11,876 Posts
NugsFan

If you're going to argue that training camp reports resulted in a skewed and incorrect ranking of these teams, you should actually put forth a valid argment. a little specification is all that is needed. just talking about training camp not meaning anything really doesn't mean anything. We've all been reading training camp reports but we also know the makeup of these teams. what's wrong with making predictions? how would you make predictions differently? another point, the report on the nugget's camp don't sound all too optimistic. sounds to me like kiki and crew are concentrating on not giving up before the season has even begun.

as for the original post, charlotte may have a legitimate shot at #1 but i don't recall them dominating the standings last season before they lost mash. plus the conference has gotten better as a whole.
#2 seems a little high for orlando. grant and tmac is a great duo but the rest of the team seems a little questionable. i know doc has worked wonders with lesser groups, i'm just saying #2 may be high. yeah, nugsfan's comments may be based around shawn kemp looking "inspiring," don't know if i'll take that one for granted but still an upgrade over grant in my mind.
Jersey moves into the #1 or #2 spots in my mind. they have improved their team. hopefully deke doesn't slow them down too much and kickstarts fastbreaks with tons of defensive rebounds. i'm looking for kenyon to really break out this season as the team's #1 scorer. amazing starting 5 and rodney off the bench puts them over charlotte in my mind.
other than that, i love seeing the faith in vince starting to return. he will be back with a vengeance and back to his old form. i just hope that he can get some support on the offensive end. i like the addition of murray but i think that the lack of backcourt strength will have my beloved raps will probably be battling for the 7th and 8th positions.
i'm not a big fan of detroit here but i suppose they are solid enough to compete. i do think they've lost a little over the summer but it shouldn't hurt them too much. however, the rest of the conference looks much improved and leaves detroit battling for 8th with atlanta. i'll take atlanta over detroit in #8 based on the skill level of its players. detroit might have superior team play and chemistrybut we'll have to wait and see if it comes together.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: NugsFan

Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!
as for the original post, charlotte may have a legitimate shot at #1 but i don't recall them dominating the standings last season before they lost mash. plus the conference has gotten better as a whole.
#2 seems a little high for orlando. grant and tmac is a great duo but the rest of the team seems a little questionable. i know doc has worked wonders with lesser groups, i'm just saying #2 may be high. yeah, nugsfan's comments may be based around shawn kemp looking "inspiring," don't know if i'll take that one for granted but still an upgrade over grant in my mind.
Jersey moves into the #1 or #2 spots in my mind. they have improved their team. hopefully deke doesn't slow them down too much and kickstarts fastbreaks with tons of defensive rebounds. i'm looking for kenyon to really break out this season as the team's #1 scorer. amazing starting 5 and rodney off the bench puts them over charlotte in my mind.
other than that, i love seeing the faith in vince starting to return. he will be back with a vengeance and back to his old form. i just hope that he can get some support on the offensive end. i like the addition of murray but i think that the lack of backcourt strength will have my beloved raps will probably be battling for the 7th and 8th positions.
i'm not a big fan of detroit here but i suppose they are solid enough to compete. i do think they've lost a little over the summer but it shouldn't hurt them too much. however, the rest of the conference looks much improved and leaves detroit battling for 8th with atlanta. i'll take atlanta over detroit in #8 based on the skill level of its players. detroit might have superior team play and chemistrybut we'll have to wait and see if it comes together.
First off let me say that I am only taking into account certain things from training camps. Like Tractor Traylor being in the best shape of his life, this almost a factual thing.. and Traylor is very talented, and if in shape, he could make a huge difference for New Orleans.

To SkywalkerAC - I will admit, I actually forgot about the addition of Rodney Rogers to NJ, which is a big one .. Had I remembered that, I would have probably put them higher ..

So I will move NJ to #2 and Orlando to #3.

And I have to disagree on Atlanta.. there are too many new pieces and their pg situation is even more of a ? than Detroits. I think Detroit eeks into the playoffs.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
C'mon, Dee Bo! I was happy to see SOMEBODY picking a team besides the NETS to win the Atlantic for a change! And now you're going to back off? C'mon!

Rodney Rogers apparently came to camp out of shape. Even when he's IN shape, I think we may be overrating this guy quite a bit.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!
C'mon, Dee Bo! I was happy to see SOMEBODY picking a team besides the NETS to win the Atlantic for a change! And now you're going to back off? C'mon!

Rodney Rogers apparently came to camp out of shape. Even when he's IN shape, I think we may be overrating this guy quite a bit.
Well, nobody is saying Rodney Rogers is GREAT. He's a good bench scorer who can hit a three-pointer. That's all the Nets will need out of him I think.

Although, the Nets offense does concern me a little bit. I mean, we're talking about Kenyon Martin as a #1 scoring option, and Jason Kidd as #2. The Nets have a lot of options (Martin, Kidd, Jefferson, Kittles, Rogers, Childs, and to an extent Mutombo), but nobody that can score 25 a night.

Still, robyg, I don't see the Sixers, Magic, Wizards, or Celtics beating the Nets for the division title.

·
Hokeamaniac
5,775 Posts
I agree Wiggum. As much as I would like to predict somebody beats the Nets, at this point I don't see a team that has less question marks going into the season:

Orlando: Front court
Washington: PG and front court
Boston: PG and Vin's attitude
Philly: Defensively presence? Think they lost alot with Mutombo trade

Nets are not a perfect team, but I don't think they have the amount of question marks other teams have.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by <b>robyg1974</b>!

Re-read my response. I still think New Orleans can/will win the East. I said to move NJ in front of Orlando at #2.

Rodney Rogers isnt a "great" player, but he is a very good bench player, and will supplement the team with some of the scoring it lost in the trade, including giving them a significant 3pt threat.

If Kemp was in better shape, I would put Orlando in front of NJ, but right now, I wont.

Actually, nevermind.. I misread your post. Yeah, sorry, but I think NJ wins the Atlantic.. unless Kemp is better than I expect, which I expect him to contribute pretty good.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Re: NugsFan

Originally posted by <b>SkywalkerAC</b>!
If you're going to argue that training camp reports resulted in a skewed and incorrect ranking of these teams, you should actually put forth a valid argment. a little specification is all that is needed. just talking about training camp not meaning anything really doesn't mean anything. We've all been reading training camp reports but we also know the makeup of these teams. what's wrong with making predictions? how would you make predictions differently? another point, the report on the nugget's camp don't sound all too optimistic. sounds to me like kiki and crew are concentrating on not giving up before the season has even begun.

i did put forth a valid argument. the point is you cannot base season performance and training camp reports because not every team can win 50 games. its basic math. many teams fall short of preseason hopes and predictions.

"another point, the report on the nugget's camp don't sound all too optimistic. sounds to me like kiki and crew are concentrating on not giving up before the season has even begun."

heh - are you kidding me? have you READ the articles? have you READ what the coaches and players are saying?! they are OVERLY optimistic which i dont care about because i know it doesnt matter. i just dont want injuries.

of course kiki wont give up. isnt that what most people think they nuggets are doing? on this board certainly seems like it. people expect the nuggets to not try and just waste an entire season - as if this were nba live fantasy world.

your rankins arent that bad though - i never said they were. i just thought the reasoning was off. my predictions will be very similar i bet.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I predict the Nets will not be as good as last year

You can't get better by giving up two starters. I don't think Motumbo and Jefferson are going to be able to pick up the load.

BIG Mac and Van were an assist for Jkidd. Wait until Jkidd passes the ball to Motumbo.

This was a lousy trade and expect the Nets to feel it for years. Also, it basically seals it that Jkidd will jump to another team next year.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Re: I predict the Nets will not be as good as last year

Originally posted by <b>benfica</b>!
You can't get better by giving up two starters. I don't think Motumbo and Jefferson are going to be able to pick up the load.
Sure you can get better giving up two starters, especially when those two starters were the only two defensive liabilities on the team. And Jefferson and Mutumbo can't pick up the load? I don't know why people always think that the Nets are going to suffer so much in terms of ppg next year. As a starter, Jefferson put up similar points/rebounds as Van Horn did last year, all while playing much better defense. Van Horn's 3-point shooting is all that he brought to the game that Jefferson doesn't yet, but that was replaced by Rodney Rogers.

And Mutumbo can't pick up the load? He's one of the best defensive players of this era, and will help tremendously defensively. Also, wait and see how he plays with Kidd before saying he won't do anything offensively. If I remember right, everyone was saying the Nets wouldn't do anything last year... and then Kidd transformed them. I'd be shocked if Mutumbo hurts the Nets offensively this year.

BIG Mac and Van were an assist for Jkidd. Wait until Jkidd passes the ball to Motumbo.
Kidd has already asked Mutumbo exactly where he's most comfortable catching the ball. Never has Mutumbo consistantly gotten the ball up high, and this year, he will.

This was a lousy trade and expect the Nets to feel it for years. Also, it basically seals it that Jkidd will jump to another team next year.
Feel it for years? MacCollouch wasn't in the longterm plans of the team, as Collins and Krstic have much higher ceilings than he does. Van Horn would've came off the bench this year anyways, with a max contract. The Nets save millions of dollars over the course of the three contracts.

And that's not to mention the fact that this year, they are a much better defensive team, without losing as much offensively as people like to say. Van Horn's shooting is gone, but it was replaced by Rogers. And again, watch and see Mutumbo play with Kidd before calling him stone-hands. Kidd's got a magic-passing touch.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Mutombo was exposed in the playoffs last year. He's just about ready to pull up a comfortable rocker on the porch next to Patrick and Hakeem.

Sure Kidd will help him. Kidd will make that nice high entry pass, and Diekembe will have the ball. But what will he do with it? He does not pass as well as MacCulloch and will not be as good at finding the open man. So, he will shoot that hook shot of his-- and sometimes they will go in. But each of those shots is one less opportunity for Martin, Jefferson or Kittles.

And not even Kidd will be able to help Mutombo get up and down the floor. I've seen him play a dozen times or so in the last two years, and I do not recall him making a single basket as the trailer on the break.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Mutombo was exposed in the playoffs last year. He's just about ready to pull up a comfortable rocker on the porch next to Patrick and Hakeem.
You're right. There are matchups where Mutumbo is a liability. However, the Nets have Collins and Aaron Williams there to play center as well. There will probably be some matchups this year where Mutumbo isn't the best choice at center. Although there still are plenty of matchups where he'll be a huge advantage for the Nets.

Sure Kidd will help him. Kidd will make that nice high entry pass, and Diekembe will have the ball. But what will he do with it? He does not pass as well as MacCulloch and will not be as good at finding the open man. So, he will shoot that hook shot of his-- and sometimes they will go in. But each of those shots is one less opportunity for Martin, Jefferson or Kittles.
MacColloch never proved before he went to NJ (in his limited minutes in Philly) that he was an above average passer. I give a lot of the credit to the offensive system. I expect Mutumbo to look good offensively in it as well.

And not even Kidd will be able to help Mutombo get up and down the floor. I've seen him play a dozen times or so in the last two years, and I do not recall him making a single basket as the trailer on the break.
Any loss in team-speed from Mac to Mutumbo is easily made up with the upgrade of Jefferson from Van Horn. Whether or not Mutumbo gets even one fastbreak basket all year, I'd be shocked if the Nets weren't a better fastbreak team next year.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BBallFan</b>!

"Any loss in team-speed from Mac to Mutumbo is easily made up with the upgrade of Jefferson from Van Horn."

Well, last year the Nets had both Jefferson and Van Horn, so Jefferson isn't exactly an upgrade.

Am I missing something? Kenyon Martin demanded that Van Horn be traded at the end of last season, saying that Van Horn was "soft." The Nets had to dump one of them, and it wasn't going to be Martin. Simply put, the Van Horn trade was a fire sale.

But what team would be willing to take such a soft player with such a big salary? Why the Sixers of course. Brown knew perfectly well that with Mutumbo he would never get past Boston, and in addition to getting Van Horn the Sixers reacquired a player who was a significant contributor to their success a year earlier. Yes, Van Horn is a soft 1-on-1 defender and MacCulloch will never be an NBA all star. Even so, this deal was a steal for the Sixers. Ask yourself this question: if Mutombo is so good, why were the Nets able to get him for so little?

There is an old saying: be careful of what you ask for, you just may get it. I think that will become evident to the Nets after about 20-30 games this year. And if I were coaching one of the other teams in the Eastern conference I would be praying that Kidd and Mutombo perfect that high entry pass, because anything that got the ball out of Kidd's hands and into Mutombo's would be just fine with me.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I don't know why people putting too much attention on Mutombo's 'stone-hands'. New Jersey's offense revolve around Kidd not MacCulloch/Mutombo. The C position is just part of the 'Motion Offense'. Coach Scott should be smart enough to ask Kidd and everybody else to move the ball instead of throwing them to Mutombo all the time. Offense is created by human and it can be modified. Even if Mutombo still has to involve in most of the offensive-sets, he hasn't had a chance to prove everybody he can't pass yet. Afterall, 'stone-hands' are still hands, and the possesor happened to be one of the most experienced and smart player on the basketball court. He may not be as good as Canadian T-Mac, but he shouldn't be as bad as many people think.

And I always heard people saying the Nets have no 'true' go-to guys. The Nets have one, actually. His name is Jason Kidd. He's just doing it in a different way. Go-to guy means a 'playmaker', usually it means someone who has variety of scoring abilities. With Kidd, it's redefination to 'someone who has variety of abilities to put points on the board. Whether it is a layup, long-bomb, dish, etc". I don't see the Nets need a 'scoring' go-to guy as long as the ball is in Kidd's hand.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Big John</b>!
Well, last year the Nets had both Jefferson and Van Horn, so Jefferson isn't exactly an upgrade.
Sure he is. He'll get starters minutes this year, instead of coming off of the bench like he did last year. Therefore, there's a significant upgrade in speed and defense.

Am I missing something? Kenyon Martin demanded that Van Horn be traded at the end of last season, saying that Van Horn was "soft." The Nets had to dump one of them, and it wasn't going to be Martin. Simply put, the Van Horn trade was a fire sale.

But what team would be willing to take such a soft player with such a big salary? Why the Sixers of course. Brown knew perfectly well that with Mutumbo he would never get past Boston, and in addition to getting Van Horn the Sixers reacquired a player who was a significant contributor to their success a year earlier. Yes, Van Horn is a soft 1-on-1 defender and MacCulloch will never be an NBA all star. Even so, this deal was a steal for the Sixers. Ask yourself this question: if Mutombo is so good, why were the Nets able to get him for so little?
Van Horn and MacColloch are horrible defensive players, but the Sixers need offensive talent. Van Horn has all the potential in the world as a player... he's tall and can shoot, and when he plays aggressively, he's a very good offensive player. Mac is also a good offensive center, and shoots some of the ugliest shots that still go in.

I'm sure part of what was done was under the hopes that Larry Brown can turn them into better defenders... if they don't turn into better defensive players, the Sixers are significantly worse after this trade. However, if they can become even average defensive players, the added offense will really help.

There is an old saying: be careful of what you ask for, you just may get it. I think that will become evident to the Nets after about 20-30 games this year. And if I were coaching one of the other teams in the Eastern conference I would be praying that Kidd and Mutombo perfect that high entry pass, because anything that got the ball out of Kidd's hands and into Mutombo's would be just fine with me.
... until the offense starts to move, players get free, and the Nets get easy baskets. Mutumbo is simply a guy to hold onto the ball while the offense moves and creates itself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts