Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why?

Who goes to the IR if he (or someone else) shows up?

Not following the logic here - unless it's security if Cook doesn't pan out. But, hey, I'm no GM........

..General manager John Nash said the Blazers are considering bringing in another free agent within the next few days and could possibly sign that player for the remainder of the season.

"We're exploring those options now," Nash said.

Eddie Gill, a 6-1 guard who played briefly with New Jersey during the 2000-01 season and with Memphis two years ago, is one possibility. He could join the Blazers today in Salt Lake City.

Gill, 25, has been playing for the Dakota Wizards of the Continental Basketball Association, averaging 18.1 points and eight assists in 25 games.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
With Outlaw on the IL, the Blazers only have 11 active players, as far as I can tell. If we sign another player, we won't need to cut or IL anyone else to make room for him on the active roster.

I don't understand why we would sign a PG like Gill to a contract when we just signed Cook. It seems to make more sense to bring back Vranes than to do that.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!
With Outlaw on the IL, the Blazers only have 11 active players, as far as I can tell. If we sign another player, we won't need to cut or IL anyone else to make room for him on the active roster.
If we were to sign another player to a 10 day contract, wouldn't we have to put another player on the IL by rule?

I don't understand why we would sign a PG like Gill to a contract when we just signed Cook. It seems to make more sense to bring back Vranes than to do that.

Ed O.
I don't get it either. That must mean that he isn't confident in Cook and thinks Gill might be better, but if that's the case, why didn't he just sign Gill instead? If he changed his mind, he did it on the basis of only one game, in which Cook got at least decent reviews.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!

If we were to sign another player to a 10 day contract, wouldn't we have to put another player on the IL by rule?
I think so. But if we signed someone for the rest of the year we wouldn't need to.

Man, is Portland being cheap this year, or what?

Ed O.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Exactly. We can't have any more 11 player rosters. And Cook is only signed for 10 days. So Nash feels obligated to sign someone for the rest of the season to assure that we have 12 players no matter what happens with Cook.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Exactly. We can't have any more 11 player rosters. And Cook is only signed for 10 days. So Nash feels obligated to sign someone for the rest of the season to assure that we have 12 players no matter what happens with Cook.
That makes sense but wouldn't it have made more sense to make sure we have 12 players for the whole year first, THEN take a chance on a 10 day contract? Was Cook so much in demand that we had to pick him up right then?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts