Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Prosecutors cite alleged curfew violations

New Jersey Nets forward Eddie Griffin was back in a Houston jail Monday, this time held without bond, after prosecutors said he violated conditions of his bail stemming from a prior assault charge.

A hearing was set for Tuesday over alleged curfew violations by Griffin, who was released by the Rockets earlier this season. State District Judge Mike Anderson revoked his bond at a court hearing Monday.

"He has violated the curfew several times and some violations are more serious than others," Jane Waters, an assistant district attorney for Harris County, told The Associated Press.
Not good.

I guess the Nets might release him at this point, but that would hurt their chances of signing him if he should be able to play next year. I guess there's no need to release him if you don't have a replacement, though.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Interesting that the article mentions an incident on December 23rd. The Nets signed Griffin on January 8th. The Rockets waived Griffin on December 19th, and the news that the Nets "came to terms" with Griffin was on December 29th. So the incident happened during his "free agent" period.

If this December 23rd "incident" became known to his parole officer/board, would the police have to have been involved? I would think not, since he probably would have been put in jail at that point. So, somehow the Houston authorities found out recently, and the Nets must not have known about it when they signed him.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by <b>PetroToZoran</b>!
I assume we're not paying right now, correct?
Almost $400,000 guaranteed (unless there was something in the contract that he violated), for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
How long is he going to be in jail?

Might actually be better for him. Structured, controlled environment. Some isolation. Remove him from the stuff in his life that's pulling him down.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
How long is he going to be in jail?

Might actually be better for him. Structured, controlled environment. Some isolation. Remove him from the stuff in his life that's pulling him down.
Hard to tell. There's a hearing tomorrow about his curfew violations. Maybe he could get released then? The curfew is part of his bail agreement on the assault charge, which got revoked, so he may be there until that trial. I guess it could depend on the amount of times he vioated his curfew, and the circumstances behind the violations.

He also gets sentenced for the pot charge next Friday.

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
Griffin and his lawyer need to stop pushing for his return to the NBA and, instead, focus on dealing with his personal life.
Exactly. This has gotten to the point where basketball should be the least of his worries.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nets' Griffin Is Jailed in Houston After New Accusations

Jennifer L. Devine, a Harris County assistant district attorney, said a witness had come forward and would testify on Tuesday that he was in an altercation with Griffin at a convenience store in Houston early on the morning of Dec. 23. The witness told prosecutors that he had left his car running outside the store when a man with Griffin got into the car and drove it away. The witness said that when he tried to run after his car, Griffin drove his truck at him.

The police were called, but the car was recovered and no arrests were made. Griffin's name was not included in the report and the man with him was not identified. Prosecutors said they were still deciding whether to file charges against Griffin for aggravated assault.

Griffin's lawyer, Rusty Hardin, declined to comment on the specific allegations. "All I know is that the state is repeating some accusations from a guy we've learned has multiple arrests himself," Hardin said.
Oh boy. :\

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A judge ruled yesterday that Nets forward Eddie Griffin is to remain in a Houston jail without bond until at least Feb. 13. That is when he is scheduled to appear in court for his bond hearing, a felony assault charge and the sentencing for his marijuana conviction.

Prosecutors were also looking into a Jan. 25 incident at the Renaissance Hotel in Rutherford, N.J., in which Griffin, looking for a party, knocked on the wrong door of a guest, which led to the police being called. While no arrests were made, Harris County assistant district attorney Jane Waters said she and fellow assistant DA Jennifer Devine were contemplating filing a subpoena for a hotel surveillance tape.

"He seems to get involved in these altercations on a regular basis," Waters said. "He is obviously pretty volatile and can't seem to get out of confrontation or trouble."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/161196p-141347c.html

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Hopefully he can get his *** back outta jail and get his act back asap. He can definitely help this team, but firstly get all his distractions and off-court problems out of the way.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New Jersey Nets forward Eddie Griffin has been indicted on a charge he assaulted a woman and shot at her during an incident in October, according to a broadcast report.

Thursday's indictment stems from an Oct. 25 incident when a woman accused him of hitting her in the face and shooting at her as she drove away from his home.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1734067

Regardless of what happens with Griffin with his court appearance in Houston today (aggravated felony rap, hearing on bond being revoked), his time as a Net is finished. He'll be released shortly after the All-Star break.
http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/15610.htm

Well, I guess that's that. :\

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Griffin's made a mess of his life. This may take him a few years to straighten out, whether it's in jail or as a free man.

From a Thorn perspective, thank goodness for Lawrence Frank.

Thorn went the player acquisition route to upgrade the team. Deke was a bust. Krstic is till in Europe. Rogers was looking like a bust again, Lu was doing and the jury is till out on the rookie. He struck out with Zo, gambled on Griffin - after the Rockets had released him - and struck out again.

Thorn was probably on the verge of making a desperation deal to salvage the season. Then, he gambles on the unknown 33 year old assistant to replace the head coach of the 2-time EC champs and the Nets are on the right path again.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, but there's more to this story:

Eddie Griffin indicted, goes to drug rehab

Former Houston Rockets player Eddie Griffin was released from jail today into the custody of a residential drug treatment program.

The judge said Griffin could enter a residential substance abuse treatment program in Houston for 30 days, after which his progress will be considered at another bond hearing.

The judge also reprimanded the athlete for showing up in court on Jan. 20 with a blood alcohol level of .07, which was discovered during a routine urine test.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just when this thread was getting close to Page 2...

Griffin's world gets messier

John and Jaime retreated to their room, where they and two members of their wedding party were having a nightcap. A half-hour later, around 2:30 a.m., there was a knock on the door. John Dodds said it was Griffin, asking again if he could join their party. John said he told him they weren't having a party, and Griffin departed amicably.

Another half-hour brought another knock on the door: Griffin again wanted to know if he could party with the Dodds.

"At that point it was kind of strange, because I had already told him twice we didn't have a party going on," John said. "This time, I was pretty stern with him. I really felt like he was invading our personal space."

AN UNWANTED CALL

A little later, the phone in the Dodds' room rang.

"I answered the phone and it was him (Griffin)," Jaime said. "He said, 'I know your (bridesmaids) are all out partying. When they come back, they're mine. Especially your husband's sister. I'm waiting for her. I've got my eye on her.'"

Jaime said she began screaming into the phone at Griffin, telling him to leave the women alone. She then called her bridesmaids, who were out, warning them to be careful when they returned to the hotel.

A little later, some time around 5 a.m., John Dodds said there was another knock on their door. John looked through the peephole and saw Griffin.
Read the whole story. Its quite enlightening. Good riddance, Eddie.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
That is just horrible, I never thought he/it could be that bad.

-Petey

1 - 20 of 21 Posts