Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today on www.ESPNInsider.com Chad Ford says the Memphis Grizzlies and Jerry West have much interest in the young center. Now Ford speculates trading Swift, Battier, Dahntay for Curry, Eddie Robinson or Jerome Williams. Although I would really hate to give up Dahntay Jones, I think this deal might be worth it to let Hubie get a hold of Eddy Curry.

However these are my proposed Curry to Memphis deals:

1. Antonio Davis/Eddy Curry for Stro/Battier/Outlaw/Watson

2. Curry/Jerome Williams/Eddie Robinson for Stro/Battier/Outlaw/Watson

3. Curry/Robinson or Williams/Fizer for Swift/Outlaw/Battier

Keep in mind that Antonio Davis and Jerome Williams can't be dealt until Febuary 1st.

I guess the question is...do you want Curry and at what expense?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm not sure if I want Curry. He is big and offensively talented, but so is Pau... He has a bad attitude and I think he is not the C Pau needs to play with... They excell in offense but get killed in defense...

Maybe Hubie can change Eddy and make him an all-star...

Anyways, if Curry is coming to Memphis, I want JYD with him... Assuming we trade Stromile, Battier and Outlaw, we would need a defensive minded-hustling player like JYD coming from the bench

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Chef</b>!
I'm not sure if I want Curry. He is big and offensively talented, but so is Pau... He has a bad attitude and I think he is not the C Pau needs to play with... They excell in offense but get killed in defense...

Maybe Hubie can change Eddy and make him an all-star...

Anyways, if Curry is coming to Memphis, I want JYD with him... Assuming we trade Stromile, Battier and Outlaw, we would need a defensive minded-hustling player like JYD coming from the bench
Bad attitude?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I don't know why West would ever consider getting rid of both Battier anddd Stromile in one trade. The Bulls wouldn't be giving up much to get these two promising players. I just don't see why West would ever consider a trade with these two in it, unless we were getting something in return that was truly legitimate.

Eddy Curr, E-Rob, and Junkyard Dawg are certainly not legitimate compensation for Battier and Swift. Curry is the only guy that actually has some promise behind him in his young career. The others are just role players at best. We already have a JYD on our team in Bo Outlaw. Why would we want another??

Plussssss, I wouldn't lose hope in Dahntay Jones this soon. He is going to be a legit player sooner than everyone thinks. Two more years, and it will come. Desmond Mason type i'm projecting.

Dahntay should actually be in the Slam Dunk competition. He certainly has the hops to do it. He is creative enough as well.

·
_(&#12484;)_&#3626;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3657;&#3
28,008 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MemphisX</b>!

However these are my proposed Curry to Memphis deals:

1. Antonio Davis/Eddy Curry for Stro/Battier/Outlaw/Watson
JWill/Bell
Wells/Jones
Posey/Miller/Smith
Gasol/Wright
Curry/Davis/Tsakalidis

Good
Frees up more time for our rookies. Bell and Jones are ready for backup minutes and would handle them just fine.

Bad
The SF position looks pretty weak. If Miller could handle playing major minutes at the three, then we could pull it off. Jones and Bell are good defenders, but losing FOUR great defenders for a defensive sloth like Curry and an over-the-hill undersized center is not something I'm willing to do. Davis's contract is so bad that Chicago would probably be willing to subtract Swift or Battier from the equation in exchange for a future pick just to rid themselves of his contract. Those four are too much to give, IMO.

Ugly
Davis' contract is straight-up nasty. Since the luxury tax is likely no more once Davis' contract ends, we'd still be able to resign Gasol and Curry, but there's no reason to take on deals like Davis' unless we get back a proven star.
2. Curry/Jerome Williams/Eddie Robinson for Stro/Battier/Outlaw/Watson
JWill/Bell
Miller/Wells/Jones
Posey/Williams/Robinson
Gasol/Wright
Curry/Tsakalidis

Good
Bell gets a shot. Williams adds more toughness that we'll lose from Outlaw, and he can guard the 2-4 spots. We don't get as much size as the first trade, but we still have three extremely serviceable players in the middle.

Bad
Again, I feel this is too much. Robinson would literally never see the floor. He'd be in Theron Smith-land. So that's $24 million on the bench that we'll never use. Williams makes starters' money but will only play 20 mpg on this team. He's somewhat productive, but his contract goes on forever. I'd rather just keep Outlaw than get JYD, and Swift/Battier/Watson outweighs Eddy Curry. E-Rob is worthless. The bad just simply outweighs the good.
3. Curry/Robinson or <strike>Williams/Fizer</strike> for Swift/Outlaw/Battier
JWill/Watson/Bell
Wells/Jones
Posey/Miller/Robinson
Gasol/Wright
Curry/Tsakalidis

This is basically taking out Watson and Williams. Still don't really like it. Swift and Battier for Curry post-ASG last year would have been great, but Eddy's not looking anything near that right now.

I want Eddy, but only when he shows hope of turning into a good coachable player with work ethic compatible with Brown's teaching methods. Then again, with his trade value lower than it's probably ever been, it may be wise to snatch him up cheap, instead of giving up a great character and work ethic guy like Battier AND a total freak like Swift. Battier would flourish under Skiles on a wingman-depleted Bulls team. If Curry's not working for a hard-nosed guy like Skiles, then I wonder how he'd do with a similar, but more intense, guy like Hubie.

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
I like Eddy Curry, but I think we'd have to give up too much to get him.

The article says Paxson will want Pau included in the deal. Now, I'm not a huge Pau fan, but Gasol for Curry? No thanks.

I would trade Swift and Battier, however.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The thought of having a center with Curry's ability and potential is interesting. But with Gasol and many of the other players being so young, I don't think adding another young post player really helps much.

To give up Battier, Wright, or Outlaw could be damaging to the team's attitude. Wright and Outlaw are veterans that have been through the grind a few times and both seem to do their best to bring it every night. This is a great example for the younger players. Battier is really mature for his age and makes a similar contribution.

Battier and Watson are recognized as have obscene work ethics which sets the example for others.

IMO keeping patientce and landing a veteran center that is defensive minded is the path to take. Bonzi is still learning the offense and Jake doesn't appear to be totally comfortable with what Hubie is trying to do. They both need to be allow a good opportunity to settle in fully.

Humphrey and Swift should be the trade bait because Humphrey doesn't seem to have much of a future in the NBA and Swift is just too inconsistent as evidenced against the Rockets. I don't think that he has the concentration to play well everynight. His poor performance had a lot to do with the second unit not holding up their end against Houston. A game being nationally televised should have been a motivator. But yes he is still an athletic freak.

I still hope that we can snag Dampier. I think that he is the right partner for Gasol over the next few years. He brings toughness and playing with Wright will keep him focused. Foyle needs to get healthy and play well.

·
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This thread is a good example of why some teams don't ever take the next step.

I can't even fathom the reasoning behind wanting to turn down a 21 year old, 6'11+ center who has already led the league in FG% just to keep a role player like Shane Battier. Shane Battier is our 4th best wing player and we already have his replacement on the roster in Dahntay Jones. Earl Watson and Stromille have been just as inconsistent as Eddy Curry IMO.

Yes I know about the intangibles that Battier brings and I appreciate them but he ain't beating out Posey, Miller, or Wells. Another reson for the trade: if we don't make a trade we are going to lose a good player in the expansion draft for nothing. Projected protected players as of now: Pau, Miller, Posey, J Will, Wright, Wells, Battier...and either Dahntay Jones, Troy Bell, or Earl Watson.

Another point, we are never going to be under the cap enough to sign anyone significant so taking on contracts should not be a problem for anyone but Heisley.

I find it even more hilarious that people are knocking Curry's numbers when they are BETTER than our starting centers numbers in about the same amount of playing time.

Give me this roster:

PG J Will, Troy Bell
SG Miller, Bonzi
SF Posey, Dahntay Jones
PF Gasol, Antonio Davis
C Wright, Eddy Curry

Now we might be able to trade Big Jake instead of Earl Watson, which I would prefer, but IMO that is not to much to give up.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I see no point in trading both Swift and Battier in one trade. we give up one or the other, but not both. I'd say Swift/Battier+filler(humphrey, tsakalitas) for E Curry. No way we give up both players, and no way we take on ugly contracts.

E Curry is amazing talent though. Of course, so is Swift, which is why if we had to give up Battier as well, I say no way. I'd rather keep the 2 players and our amazing depth.:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
I wouldn't get my hopes up. If Paxson thinks Curry is worth Gasol and possibly more, then it is likely that nothing is going to happen.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Originally posted by MemphisX!

I can't even fathom the reasoning behind wanting to turn down a 21 year old, 6'11+ center who has already led the league in FG% just to keep a role player like Shane Battier. Shane Battier is our 4th best wing player and we already have his replacement on the roster in Dahntay Jones. Earl Watson and Stromille have been just as inconsistent as Eddy Curry IMO.
What?? Who is 5 games over .500 right now?? What is the Bulls record so far?? Why do you think there offering almost everyone on there roster to winning teams?? There players have bad attitudes, don't work hard, and don't understand team concepts. The Bulls motto should be: "Give ME the ball!!"

There are a couple of exceptations to the Bulls roster, but not many.

Why would you want to screw up team chemistry with the Grizzlies right now. When West made the trade for Bonzi, the Grizzlies didn't lose that much. Granted Person was a top-class guy, but that doesn't change the fact that the Grizzlies got significantly better by trading him. If the Grizzlies trade Swift and Battier for E-Curry how much better do you see them being?? I would say that it is an even trade at best, maybe even a bad one for the Grizzlies.

I wonder why Paxson wants to trade Curry? He is said to have a bad work ethic in practice. Otherwise Curry would have started every single game for the Bulls this season. He has the most promise, but has he shown the skill yet, no?? I would trade Curry for Swift straight up. There are two guys who haven't lived up to there potential yet. Sounds pretty fair to me. I don't want to lose Battier though. He is to important to this franchise. I haven't realized that until I heard the rumors of him being in mentions of trade talk.

·
19,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by <b>C-MO 22 LD</b>!

If the Grizzlies trade Swift and Battier for E-Curry how much better do you see them being?? I would say that it is an even trade at best, maybe even a bad one for the Grizzlies.
Well my goal is to win an NBA title, I had not expected to make the playoffs to next year. I still think we are 3-4 years away from being championship material, unless Kobe takes our MLE this offseason. I think Jerry West wants to build a championship team and not a playoff team. You think it might be nice to have Curry and Gasol in 4 years at 27 and 25 after SHaq has retired and Duncan and KG are slowing a little?

Swift and Battier? Curry is arguably as good as Swift already add in the fact that he is a center who can score and that is all I need to hear. Heck, I would give Swift and Battier for Curry alone.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Trades that become public before they happen rarely go down. That is especially true when it comes to JWest. The only exception I can think of since JWest has been in Memphis is the Miller/Gooden deal.

Since this Curry deal is being bounced around over all the basketball boards I think it is probably already a dead issue with both teams.

It's common knowledge that we need a big man & a shooter, so there is going to be lots of trade rumors floating around until the trade deadline.

Eventually something is obviously going to happen, but I think JWest is going to stand pat until this summer unless another Bonzi type deal falls in his lap. We are overloaded with swingmen
but we aren't pressed to make any immediate trades. We are playing well, team chemistry is outstanding, & we're winning. I don't see any motivation for us to make any kind of deal unless it is clearly to our advantage.

I don't see Battier, Swift, Jones for Currie as being clearly to our advantage either. Currie may become a great center, but he may also continue to be nothing but "potential" until he eventually falls off the charts.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Originally posted by MemphisX!
Swift and Battier? Curry is arguably as good as Swift already add in the fact that he is a center who can score and that is all I need to hear. Heck, I would give Swift and Battier for Curry alone.
Originally posted by C-MO 22 LD!
I wonder why Paxson wants to trade Curry? He is said to have a bad work ethic in practice. Otherwise Curry would have started every single game for the Bulls this season. He has the most promise, but has he shown the skill yet, no??

Here is my point. Curry doesn't work hard from what I have heard. Curry is not going to a star down the road if he doesn't have a good work ethic. He is going to be like a Tim Thomas. Same numbers year, after year, after year. Hey I could be wrong, but right now I just don't feel Eddy Curry is worth trading for.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Originally posted by <b>c_dog</b>!
I see no point in trading both Swift and Battier in one trade. we give up one or the other, but not both. I'd say Swift/Battier+filler(humphrey, tsakalitas) for E Curry. No way we give up both players, and no way we take on ugly contracts.

E Curry is amazing talent though. Of course, so is Swift, which is why if we had to give up Battier as well, I say no way. I'd rather keep the 2 players and our amazing depth.:yes:
Bulls fan here...

Let's just keep our own players, your Grizz has really developed into a nice team, why break it up. The issue as I see it for you is that Memphis is a team comprised of role players, will that get it done if your goal is to win a championship? They sure are fun to watch, and Hubie is a great coach!

Eddies current league value (somewhat diminished today), is a young perennial all-star, based on age, potential,and even accomplishment. Given the almost complete lack of young TRUE centers with superstar potential available today, it would take a ridiculas offer to get Pax to bite. I do not see Jerry West overpaying (think Pau as a starting point not as the end prize)to that extent on a leap of faith. We do not want a bunch of role players that expect to paid top dollars in exchange, that folks is NBA pergatory. As bad as it is today in Chicago, we still remember the model for building champions, it really has not changed very much. I cannot see compatable pieces to make this kind of deal. Good luck in the playoffs.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Originally posted by <b>MemphisX</b>!
nonsense. for one thing, fans don't dictate personnel moves. regardless, Curry would not take the Grizzlies to "the next step." his numbers be damned.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Zeus</b>!

Curry would not take the Grizzlies to "the next step."
that pretty much summarizes it. that's why he's not worth battier and swift, only one but not the other.

if curry were so great, why did they trade for AD and JYD?? obviously there's something wrong. and yeah, his work ethic problems have been around for a while now. his value has declined drastically.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The trade was made to uproot the weed Rose that was taking shots etc. from the younger players instead of facilitating THIER growth. Trade was bad but that's the reason(& because Davis' contract is 1 year shorter than the Rose deal) for it. Davis shouldn't be starting and wouldn't be if Chandler weren't hurt.

I don't want a Curry trade but if there's one then both Wright(not Swift) & Battier are required for my non-disapproval.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
If it is already public, then the talks are most likely over. Like Viper said, Jerry West rarely does anything predictable, the only exception that comes to mind is the Gooden/Miller trade, and even then everyone thought that it was going to be Swift in the deal rather than Gooden.

Paxson asked for Gasol. I'd say the conversation ended at that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts