Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Vincent Bonsignore, Staff Writer

Andrew Bynum expected to make his college basketball debut tonight during the Connecticut/Pepperdine game at Firestone Fieldhouse in Malibu.

It's just that something came up, preventing him from even seeing the UConn team he was ready to join after high school.

"Gotta go to work Friday," Bynum said, smiling.

When your job is playing for the Lakers, your boss is Phil Jackson and your co-workers are Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom, you never call in sick.

So Bynum, the 18-year old, 7-foot lottery pick, will be at Staples Center when the Lakers host the Clippers. He will go through his pregame workout with Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabaar, then take his seat on the bench and hope Jackson calls his name.

"It's the best situation for me, no doubt," said Bynum, who played five minutes Wednesday against New York with three rebounds and two blocks. "I've got the best center to ever play the game working with me and showing me what it takes to be a successful player."

It's a life he certainly didn't envision this time last year, when he was a senior at St. Joseph High in Metuchen, N.J., and rehabilitating a bruised kneecap suffered in a preseason scrimmage.

To keep his spirits up while his knee mended, Bynum kept up with the Connecticut basketball team. He committed to play for the Huskies on his 17th birthday and was going to be their next Emeka Okafor.

But Bynum never got to Storrs, Conn. He recovered from the knee injury to become a McDonald's All-American, going from a relative unknown to a player NBA teams started considering a first-round pick.

It was enough to make a 17-year old's head spin.

"At that point I decided I wanted to at least test the waters, see where I stood," Bynum said.

more...
http://dailynews.com/sports/ci_3228831

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
He definitely has a positive attitude and work ethic. Plus, cash doesn't hurt either!!!

·
Premium Member
27,241 Posts
He got abused by a smaller guy though down the stretch when the game was on the line.. He's far from ready for that in his early career IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts