Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In scout’s ranking of the fall signing class, they pick a top recruit for each league and Ubiles was the choice in the MAAC. Ubiles enjoyed a very strong performance in the prestigious National Prep tip off tournament in Rhode island last week. Siena fans can’t wait to see Ubiles in a Siena uniform, he will give the Saints a much needed shot in the arm talent wise

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I hope everything we hear about Edwin is true. If good as advertised, he might be the highest talent to ever play at Siena. I believe we have a big east talent in the MAAC ;-)

Go Edwin!!!

Go Saints!!!

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Complete crap shoot. Faison was a D-II/NAIA player coming out of high school.

Paul "The Best Big Man in New Jersey" Williams - enough said.

I'm concerned about Jim Hart's comments that this kid takes posessions off.

Outstanding potential - I'm glad he's going to Siena - but I'm not expecting him to be anything more than a freshman.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Think CJ Anderson without the baggage. What I've heard is Ubiles may have more talent than Faison and Archbold.

Williams would have worked out with better coaching.

Fran will use Ubiles correctly.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Williams didn't seem to have a problem keeping his reputation as a lazy *** at St. Bonaventure (e.g. plagiarism).

"Ubiles may have more talent than Faison and Archbold..." - You may be the most profound poster in history....especially considering that Faison had no other Division I offers, except for maybe one of the UNC-G/A schools, and Archbold was your typical MAAC recruit ranked in the 400-500 range. Ubiles had offers from UMASS, Seton Hall, Rhode Island and LaSalle - so he apparently has a lot more talent than both Faison and Arch. Talent and $1 will get you a 16 ounce coffee at 7-11.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ubiles will still be freshmen next season and like all freshmen he will have a lot to learn. No denying the kid has talent. How hard he works will determine how far he goes. I see Jim Hart at lunch every so often ( he works next door to me) and he thinks Ublies will be a star in the MAAC, in fact his exact words to me was Ubiles does not belong in the MAAC, Siena seldom gets kids of his athletic caliber . But Soup does have a point, no kid is guaranteed anything, still very glad Siena signed him. As I often say recruit ranking don’t mean a lot, but given my druthers I’d rather have the high ranking than not.

And MTS no need to make comparison's to anybody, its not fair to Ubiles nor CJ Anderson, CJA is a star in the MAAC and Ubiles is still playing prep ball

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Unrealistic expectations are the sign of someone who should not be allowed within 50 feet of their favorite sports teams/players - it's like some of the gimps I work with who still think the Jets will run the table and make the playoffs; and/or the same clowns that thought the Mets would go 20-3 down the stretch to get the wild card. Psychos.

It's nice to be enthusiastic, MTG (Mike the Gimp), but temper it a bit. Look what happened after you were annointing Lanier as the second coming of Hewitt after Siena beat up Providence at the Pepsi in 2002/2003.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Hate to break your stones, but Prep Hoops rates him as 'honorable mention' which is outside their Top 100 prep players nationally, which would be the equivalent of a Top 500 player for seniors out of high school. That said, I know Seton Hall was looking at him but Orr thinks he's still recruiting at Siennnnnna instead of the BE with SHU's lack of talent.

He could turn out to be a great player at the MAAC level, since he generated some interest. But playing at Albany City Rocks and Po-Kip is hardly major competition. I do hope he is a top recruit simply because I like Siennnnnna and would like to see them get back to a high level but there is really no talent at present, it may take a couple more years. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for your expert analysis raver. For your information Seton Hall did more than have interest in Ublies, they offered him a scholarship, as did Iowa State ( the Big 12) Umass ( A10) and several other colleges. Not sure what site you are looking at, but Ubiles in ranked just about everyone top 200 players. The MAAC seldom signs recruits with actual offers from major conferences. Recruiting is always somewhat of a crap shoot, but Ublies is among the highest ranked recruits coming into the MAAC next season

Here is a blurb for the hoopscoop on the Prep Invitational last weekend in Rhode Island ( well over 100 future D1 players)

And in case you wondering all the other athletic wing player listed are major recruits going to the Big east ACC etc

Instead, the tournament was loaded with athletic wing players, like 6'6 Rob Thomas from South Kent (Prep) CT, 6'7 Kiwan Smith from Laurinburg (Institute) NC, 6'6 Edwin Ubiles from Oakdale (St. Thomas More) CT, 6'5 Lazar Hayward from Fitchburg (Notre Dame) MA, 6'6 Tyrone Hanson from North Bridgton (Bridgton Academy) ME, 6'6 Will Harris from Wolfeboro (Brewster Academy) NH, and 6'5 Jeremi Booth from Fork Union (Military) VA, all of whom were ranked among the top dozen players in the tournament and improved the value of their stock

I'd say pretty nice company for Ublies

From Dave Telep of Scout

Last week when Edwin Ubiles signed his national letter of intent with Siena, head coach Fran McCaffery called him a "potential all league player."

We couldn't agree more.

The versatile St. Thomas More forward averaged 17 points and 9 rebounds at last weekend's National Prep Tip-Off.

The beauty of his game is that he's equally effective inside as he is from mid-range on the perimeter. He can be used in a variety of ways and we think this was the best signee in Siena's league this fall.

All Ubiles did last weekend was take steps toward proving it.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Nice company in a tournament and playing regularly and developing in a low level program is a far different situation. I have seen no evidence that even SHU offered him, even if they did, they are little more than a MAAC program and have regressed until Orr. He'll be fired probably after this season.

Listen, as mentioned, I hope he is a high level recruit. It would be good for Siennnnna and good for the conference. However, you make it seem like he is lock as a top level player, but I see no indication that he can play at a high level, Prep Hoops obviously agrees with my analysis.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And by the way Raver its not me saying Ubiles is a lock as a high level player, he will be a freshmen next season and like all freshmen , I’m sure he’ll have his ups and downs. It is Hoopsccop, Rivals and Scout that peg Ubiles as the top incoming recruit in the MAAC next season, maybe you should write them. It appears you have a beef with their analysis.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Raver, can't give anyone else credit unless of course it's Rider. Ublies wouldn't have given Rider the time of day. Along with Franklin, Carr, Ublies, and Haddix back (plus another stud and some pretty decent returning talent...Kojo, Tay, Hasbrouck, Ryan) Siena will be primed to challange in the MAAC, IMO.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Not true, MTS, Rider has dramatically outrecruited Siennnna over the past several years, there is nothing left for me to prove there. I never said he wasn't a good recruit, in fact, he probably is for this level. Just want to make the point that Tony is posting a lot of crap that is either not true or unverifiable. From my research, he is an unproven player that played at a very low level in high school. You can say he is great, but he is unproven and had no serious DI interest coming out of Po-kip.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Raver you should really keep that crap over on the sMAAC board, just what did I say that is untrue or unverifiable. If you are going to attack someone's integrity here, at least be more accurate with your broad brush accusations.After I prove you wrong I expect an apology. Of course you won’t answer this question since I’ll prove you wrong

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Show me a link he had the scholarship offers (not recruiting interest) you said he had. I have found nothing to support your statements. You fail to point out that he had no DI interest after high school, played at a very level in high school. You fail to point out that a that the authority on Prep Hoops, Prep Hoops has him in the Top 200 of prep players by way of 'honorable mention'.

I await your responses. While never suggesting he is not a good recruit, he did generate plenty of recruiting interest while at More. I don't have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with you posting nothing but pro-stuff that is basically misleading at best.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Raver do a 2 second google search and you'll see, I'm not playing these silly games with you..I'll await your apology

Ubiles chose Siena over Seton Hall and Memphis among others.

http://sienasaints.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/111405aaa.html

Edwin Ubiles (6'4" Jr. SG-SF, Poughkeepsie (NY) High) Athletic and skilled wing had a couple of excellent games that we saw, going for 27 and 22 points. More than that, he showed good hands and often handled the ball for his team, and scored in several ways. High-major prospect.

http://www.hoopville.com/column/kasiecki.asp?EntryID=12440

Ubiles been offered scholarships thus far by Seton Hall, Iowa State, LaSalle, Rhode Island and Siena. This past Wednesday, June 8, Ubiles unofficially toured the campus of Seton Hall.
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=386773&nid=1843782&fhn=1

Ubiles took an unofficial visit to Memphis in the last couple of weeks, and the Big East program extended a scholarship offer. He'll likely take some more trips before hashing things out. "I'm going to take a couple of visits," said Ubiles. "(Most likely) Massachusetts, Seton Hall, Siena, or Rhode Island."
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=2&cid=419074&nid=1843782&fhn=1

Ubiles named top incoming MAAC recruit
http://content.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=3&blipid=14423

Hart stated that Ubiles had offers from Seton Hall, Massachusetts, and Iowa State.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=434&p=2&c=437269

As a jr at Po town high school Ubiles was rated 170th best player in the country
http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/Classof2006-newrankings-spring2005.html

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
I'll believe what his homer coach says, thanks. Looks like his stock fell quite a bit actually. Even if he had offers, scholarship offers are often rescinded if higher level targets commit first.

Again, looks like a nice player but he's not what you suggest.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Whatever you say raver... I knew you wouldn't apologize, its good enough that I’ve proven you WRONG

So let me get this straight Raver now you are questioning the integrity of Jim Hart one of the most respected AAU coaches in the country? He is nothing but a homer coach to you that lied about Ublies offers.. is that what you are saying?

Hey why not post the link you have to prep hoops, they can't be too good a service if they disagree with Rivals, Hoopscoop, Scout, Ny insiders , Hoopmasters and just about every nationally known recruiting service.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.