Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Who would be your top 10 finishers in the NBA now? I only want perimeter players, or players that dont start out down low usually.

I mean finishing at the hoop.

·
Registered
303 Posts
im just gonna name point guards

marbury
francis
BD
old school: strick

of the crazy how did he get that **** up? type
nash
kidd

No masked cursing, thanks.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Tracy McGrady
Kobe Bryant
Vince Carter
Paul Pierce
Stephon Marbury
LeBron James
Baron Davis
Allen Iverson
Shawn Marion
Corey Maggette

Roughly in that order. Not precise, as this type of thing can't be measured precisely.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
My elite list of finishers at the hoop would probably start with McGrady, James, and Bryant. LeBron could stand to be more efficient; sometimes he throws up stuff at the hoop that doesn't have a great chance to go in. But in general he's unbelievable; power, finesse, right hand, left hand, he can do anything at the hoop.

I've been thinking ever since the summer league that in terms of finishing at the hoop, LeBron James is like what Tracy McGrady would probably be like if he had 30+ more pounds of muscle.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Pretty much what Minstrel said. Payton used to be a great finisher, but is a step slower, so I'd bump him down from a great finisher to just a solid finisher.

·
Home where I wanted to go
9,855 Posts
I think TMac is the best finisher in the league because of his combination of size, strength, athleticism, and skills. Some guys are great athletes but they don't have the skills required to do anything but dunk around the basket. TMac can hang in tha air and contort his body to get off a multitude of shots. He's the best in my opinion. Lebron should be up there in a few years. Kobe is great but I don't think he's as strong as some of the other guys you mentioned. He can't handle contact as well as TMac or Maggette.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!

LeBron could stand to be more efficient; sometimes he throws up stuff at the hoop that doesn't have a great chance to go in. But in general he's unbelievable; power, finesse, right hand, left hand, he can do anything at the hoop.
I like his style and ability. As you said though, he's a bit wild at the moment, which prevents him from being in the top five. There have been numerous fast breaks where he puts on a dazzling move in the air and can't get the shot to go.

Of course, then he puts up a crazy one that goes in...

He should be incredible once he gets better control in the air.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Point Guards:
Marbury
Billups

Probably the two strongest points in the NBA. Quick enough to get into the lane and strong enough to get the shot they want. Stephon is a little more textbook, while Chauncey has a pension for hitting ridiculous reverse layups Joe Dumars style.

Shooting Guards:
Tracy McGrady
Paul Pierce

These guys are also both pretty big for their position and are great at finishing drives. Unfortunately, put a little defensive pressure on them and both are all too content to jack up a lower percentage turnaround J.

·
Registered
785 Posts
iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson, iverson.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, here I go.

Jason Richardson is, perhaps, the best finisher in the league. There is no doubt he's in the top 10. I just got done wathcing video of him and Jordan. They look VERY similar finishing.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Manu Ginobilis been overlooked a lot in this thread, I think hes very good at finishing.

Tmac, Kobe, Pierce, Lebron, Iverson, etc.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Manu Ginobilis been overlooked a lot in this thread, I think hes very good at finishing.
You're right! I forgot about him...

He's the king of the circus layup... sometimes I think he might have the greatest agility of anybody in the league outside of Allen Iverson. And at 6'6", that's pretty amazing...

He's one of the most creative finishers, for sure.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
NVE's floater needs atleast honerable mention on this thread.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I would say Kobe first, when completely healthy. I think he has the best body control in the NBA while in the air. After that, I think Tmac, Pierce, AI, Carter are all capable of finishing very well around the basket.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!
I would say Kobe first, when completely healthy. I think he has the best body control in the NBA while in the air. After that, I think Tmac, Pierce, AI, Carter are all capable of finishing very well around the basket.
Agreed. He's got the best combination of size, strength and control while in air. I've seen him put up AND MAKE some crazy shots after contact year after year.

T-mac's finishing ability hasn't been the same the past two years. I've seen him takin' it easy due to that back. He rarely attacks the rim with same vigor anymore.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I don't know why I thought of this, but Grant Hill immediately comes to mind when I think of great finishers in the NBA. He was always very good at this, even in the few times I saw him playing for Orlando, he can still finish.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
i think kobe is the best
someone who didnt get much love in this thread is Q
he has above average atletism, is very strong
and has some of the best body control in the air

·
Registered
775 Posts
Originally posted by <b>fjkdsi</b>!
i think kobe is the best
someone who didnt get much love in this thread is Q
he has above average atletism, is very strong
and has some of the best body control in the air
Probably cause he's overshadowed by C-Mag.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rukahS capuT</b>!
I don't know why I thought of this, but Grant Hill immediately comes to mind when I think of great finishers in the NBA. He was always very good at this, even in the few times I saw him playing for Orlando, he can still finish.
Yeah, a healthy Hill is right there at the top. Even when he played last year and wasnt anywhere near 100%, he still had some great finishes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts