Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Good article. I, for one, am VERY excited to see this kid play. So much so that I bought two really nice seats for tomorrow's game. I wanted to see his debut up close.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Yep, I'm excited to watch Miles as well. I have only seen him in few games but I know one thing...this kid can jump. He brings more athleticism to the team and it should be exciting to watch.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Good article, excellent and to the point.

Personally I think he can and will be a very good aquisition to Portland and in all likelyhood will be retained for next season. He is just the type of energetic player to get fans in the building and inspire the play of other guys, like Rasheed and Qyntel.

Imagine a fast break of Sheed, Qyntel and Miles!!

Portland could use him as a kind of high post type of passer or making the entry pass from the wing, instead of trying to dribble to the wing for Damon.

I would love to see this lineup.

PG DA
SG Qyntel
SF Miles
PF Zach
C Sheed

I'ts kinda a small-big lineup or maybe even big-small.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Starbury03</b>!
Miles has to get on the break to be an affective player.
He sure can finish a play for sure. Yet, I think he can make a difference on more than breakaways. He is a fairly good slasher and I think he can be productive if someone can pass him the ball going to the rim. Plus, he is a good ball handler so maybe he can make some plays for himself. He is not as limited as you make him out to be.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
One thing Portland has had as a problem IMO is lack of ball movement and lack of slashing. His handles and athleticism should help portland in that department.

I would say actually that portland is a bit short on athleticism. Really you have Sheed, Qyntel and Rueben, beyond that it is very shaky. Outlaw is a super athlete too, but his skills are no where near Miles' at this point.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
One thing Portland has had as a problem IMO is lack of ball movement and lack of slashing. His handles and athleticism should help portland in that department.

I would say actually that portland is a bit short on athleticism. Really you have Sheed, Qyntel and Rueben, beyond that it is very shaky. Outlaw is a super athlete too, but his skills are no where near Miles' at this point.
Regarding the "slashing" comment. I agree. It's been nice to see DA slashing to the hoop over the last few games. Before his return, I don't think I even realized that our slashing had been very limited. It's nice to breakdown the defense or even create some FT opportunities. Portland really missed DA. In that respect, the addition of Miles could really help this team.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>antibody</b>!
Yep, I'm excited to watch Miles as well. I have only seen him in few games but I know one thing...this kid can jump. He brings more athleticism to the team and it should be exciting to watch.
His jumping is not nearly as spectacular as back when he was a Clipper. He is still extremely fast however.

I think that the push to bulk him up was a bad idea (as I fear it may be for Outlaw).
Miles was a player who depended on speed, quickness and overall athleticism. Bulking him up has robed him of a bit of his lift (the aspect of his game that amazed me back when he was a Clipper).

------

OT: On another note, I find the over used bulk him up mentality to be one used much to often in today’s NBA.
Bulking up a player whose game is dependent on strength may be beneficial but for players who rely on quickness and speed it is not. These players should be pushed in the direction of strength development (while maintaining as light a body weight as possible).

I have always believed that while players are physically under developed (young) is when the emphases should be placed on skill development (strength development should be additive once a player has developed a game). Bulking up a raw perimeter player does not strike me as the best approach.

I can only hope that the Blazers not make that mistake with Outlaw.

·
Registered
990 Posts
A good example of the proper approach is Pippen. He developed his game as the ultra skinny player contributing to the early Bulls teams. Then bulked up (not dramatically but as a gradual result of years of strength conditioning coupled with his own physical maturation) later on in his career to push himself to another level.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RipCityJB</b>!
So you're saying he has lost some of his hops at 22?! Bad news for those of us who are, um, a few years older than 22.
I am unsure as to whether this ambiguous statement requires a response.

Are you implying that players naturally lose lift early in their 20's... :confused:

Are you implying that one does not lose lift in their early 20's... :confused:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I agree - Enigma, I don't think the efforts to bulk Miles up have really worked. He's still listed at 215 - only a few pounds heavier than he was when he entered the league. And he hasn't exactly let his legs atrophy in his time in Cleveland.

Miles can still jump like a jackrabbit - the question is if he can shoot and make plays under pressure. Hopefully, with maturity that'll come, and his athleticism won't disappear.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Miles is still a stringbean.

He had offseason knee surgery in the summer of '02 and didn't rehab properly. Compounding the problem he tried to bulk up that same offseason and his knee couldn't handle a little extra weight. Miles lost alot of his explosion last season but seems to have it back this year.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts