Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm sure a lot you know Richford, VT-native and UNH alumn Elle Purrier recently smashed the US women's mile record last weekend, a blistering time of 4:16.

I've been following Elle since she was in high school. Such a tough girl and such a cool story. I can't speculate too much on how she ended up at UNH over say UVM or a high-major track program. Track is obviously extremely objective, and Elle was very fast; I imagine Pac-12, Big-12 and ACC coaches were at least giving her a look even though she came from a tiny (even by Vermont standards) hard on the Quebec border.

That said, what is it about UVM's athletics department that doesn't prioritize other sports, like women's track? Obviously there is at least potential for UVM to retain championship talent (Elle won multiple NCAA titles in cross country, indoor and outdoor track and steeplechase). I know we've discussed this to an extent, particularly regarding the women's basketball and hockey programs, but it just seems like a lot of UVM's women's athletics are stagnant or in decline and it seems to be because the administration is taking a "we don't care" approach which saddens me. Does anyone see this differently?

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
An amazing accomplishment by Elle Purrier. (I believe that it was the US indoor mile record.) I have often wondered why she ended up at UNH.

My 2 cents: I had a daughter go to UVM who was a Vt state champion in a track & field event. We met with the track coach along the way. Zero interest, even though her numbers were competitive with the athletes on the team. I couldn't figure out what they were looking for, but it certainly wasn't encouraging any local kids to take part in UVM athletics.

·
Premium Member
33,101 Posts
I remember playing a basketball game in HS up in Richford, it had a pole from the ceiling that was literally on the court.
That was a far, long bus ride. That's way up there, but anyways Purrier is simply an amazing runner and has to already be one of the state's best athletes ever.

As for why not track & field emphasized more; Does UVM have a basket big enough for all its eggs? Seems like we're asking a question we already know the answer to.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
As I'm sure a lot you know Richford, VT-native and UNH alumn Elle Purrier recently smashed the US women's mile record last weekend, a blistering time of 4:16.

I've been following Elle since she was in high school. Such a tough girl and such a cool story. I can't speculate too much on how she ended up at UNH over say UVM or a high-major track program. Track is obviously extremely objective, and Elle was very fast; I imagine Pac-12, Big-12 and ACC coaches were at least giving her a look even though she came from a tiny (even by Vermont standards) hard on the Quebec border.

That said, what is it about UVM's athletics department that doesn't prioritize other sports, like women's track? Obviously there is at least potential for UVM to retain championship talent (Elle won multiple NCAA titles in cross country, indoor and outdoor track and steeplechase). I know we've discussed this to an extent, particularly regarding the women's basketball and hockey programs, but it just seems like a lot of UVM's women's athletics are stagnant or in decline and it seems to be because the administration is taking a "we don't care" approach which saddens me. Does anyone see this differently?
They don't care. That last round of cuts mostly impacted sports where there are high women's participation (track/XC and swimming and diving). Truth is those aren't going to do anything for the school, but it is equal parts shitty they make no effort to care about them either. If you know the swim coach he's been keeping that team somewhat competitive for years with almost nothing in the way of scholarships. As for track, they have something like 3-5 scholarships TOTAL now. UNH probably could give Purrier a reason to go there because UVM track is barely funded, and she probably actually got scholarship money which UVM likely would not have given her.

UVM's recent track record on promoting or attempting to bring women's sports back to prominence should be a bigger issue, there is no doubt. They've been lucky they can mask it with a very good men's basketball team and most people's attention and ire is toward the sorry state of the men's hockey team. Some programs are improving...field hockey doesn't have winless seasons anymore, and women's lax might be building into something. The women's basketball team has shown great effort this year and I think we can finally say they're on track to get out of the McBride era, even if they take a step back losing Crymble next year. But, how much is the school going to add support after the fact? Look no further than the women's soccer team...yay they're not only winning 2 games now, but they're just....there. Some of that is on us who can donate to turn our attention to these sports as well...but when the university is actively trying to make us not care, this is what happens.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Not to but in with my dreams for Maine athletics, but I think it makes a LOT more sense for small to medium sized schools/athletic departments to focus on underserved sports. Maine can't keep up with big football, basketball, baseball programs. So, why not focus on smaller sports that Maine could provide opportunities to local kids to compete nationally, and become a power in those sports?

I think the smartest athletic department in the country is Denver. They pour resources into hockey, skiing, and lacrosse. They are national powers (and win titles) in each. The rest? Not important.

If you look at the people that Maine (the state) puts into the Olympics, it's biathlon and track and field. Re-aligning UMaine's athletics around track, nordic skiing (churn out Olympic biathletes), hockey, and women's basketball would make a whole heck of a lot more sense than trying to compete in legacy team sports.

·
Registered
165 Posts
One of my best friends was the top track athlete in Vermont their last couple years in high school, and ended up at another low major school.

I think there's a few reasons why we don't see the top VT kids going to UVM for a lot of the non-revenue sports:

• A lot of HS kids want to experience something other than VT
  • They don't view UVM has a very good athletic school (besides basketball and hockey, soccer and lacrosse are getting there)
  • The UVM coaches did a poor job of recruiting in state talent. They've changed this in the past few years as they lost most of/all of their scholarships.
-The UVM track teams aren't very good. Most top DIII teams are much better.

If you can get some scholarship money to go somewhere else and be on a better team, how could you pass that up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts