Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Mr Patterson,

I thought came up yesterday in the Jason Quick lunch time chat, why not look outside the US borders and for the first time bring in an international coach? Argentina coach Ruben Magnano that out coached Larry Brown and lead his team to win the Gold in the last Olympics winning 84-69 agianst Italy would be a great coach to bring to Portland. Then there is the coach of CSKA former coach of Viktor and soon to be former coach of Monya Dusan Ivkovic, he is firm but is one of the great coach of europe. These guys are just of the international coaches that should be looked at rather than settling on a retread nba coach or looking at the college ranks, some International coachs are beginning to out coach nba and college level coaches. IF someone can out coach Larry Brown then I saw they are worth trying to get them to coach in Portland, what do we have to lose? Please at least give this idea some thought and bring it up the idea with Paul Allen cause its only a matter of time before international coach start following the international players into the nba, be the first team to do it and get the best international coach. thank you.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
It's just a bad idea. Cultural differences are a big source of potential conflict on a team, and a coach from Argentina or Russia is probably not going to be able to relate to the majority of NBA players.

Further, the NBA game is entirely different than the international one. If Larry Brown was "outcoached" it was because of the nature of the roster and/or the differences in the game itself.

Let another team try out an international coach and see how it works. Portland's got enough issues as it is without adding a radical coaching experiment to the situation.

Ed O.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I don't know. I don't see it as a bad idea, really. Hubie Brown was supposedly too old to coach at the NBA level. people said he couldn't relate to the modern NBA athlete. he did a pretty good job.

as a guy who is married to an English girl in Idaho, I'm always surprised at how some people who have never left the state seem to relate to her. people sometimes respect complete foreigners more than those that they are familiar with, merely because they don't understand them. I see it all the time when I go to England, too.

I learned from personal experience that it's really tough sometimes to manage volunteers because you can't really fire them. I imagine coaching an international team can be similar, in that the players aren't really coming out for the money. they want attention, fun, and a coach who doesn't piss them off.

you look at how basically smart Khryapa seems to play and you just know the guy has had a good teacher along the way. as long as the coach could speak good english, and is willing to work with a partially American staff (to ease the transition) I don't see why we shouldn't give it a shot. what have we got to lose?

at this point, Portland should take some swings for the fences. we need to take some big risks, and plan on failing some of the time. especially with a coach, who is so easy to fire if things turn south.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
one other thought--we'll have two Russians and a South Korean (at the very least) on our roster next year. at least one in five of our players will be from another continent.

we also have a kid in Outlaw who grew up in a small town in the South.

Theo Ratliff went to college in Wyoming, and isn't likely to be a problem anyway.

so there's five of our twelve or fifteen players who really don't seem to have anything to do with "the modern NBA athlete" mentality.

could a Russian coach get through to Randolph or Telfair or Miles? search me. could he do worse than Cheeks? I doubt it.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well it seems that international coach tend to teach team play which has been missing in the league because the league coach have been teaching star ball.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
theWanker said:
could a Russian coach get through to Randolph or Telfair or Miles? search me. could he do worse than Cheeks? I doubt it.
I'm not sure if Telfair is a problem really. Not that you're saying he's a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts