Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dwight Howard: Race for ROY

Here are the top 3 candidates for ROY and their stats

Emeka Okafor: 14.9 PPG (45%), 10.8 RPG, .9 APG, .83 SPG, 1.47 BPG, 1.68 TPG, 35.7 MPG -- Charlotte Bobcats (12-50)

Dwight Howard: 10.6 PPG (50%), 9.9 RPG, .9 APG, .84 SPG, 1.71 BPG, 1.78 TPG, 31.9 MPG -- Orlando Magic (31-33)

Ben Gordon
: 14.8 (43%), 2.6 RPG, 1.8 APG, .57 SPG, .1 BPG, 2.21 TPG, 23.4 MPG -- Chicago Bulls (32-30)

Stats here don't do Gordon justice, he is averaging 10 minutes less than Okafor and .1 points less. He is also very clutch and has been going on some massive scoring sprees lately

Gordon had 15/4/3 in 31 today

Dwight Howard had 29/12 in 40 today

Emeka Okafor had 17/8 in 32 today

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"It's safe to say it's going to stay in the Big East," Allen told reporters Tuesday in Chicago. "But I would have to go with Emeka, because of the sheer numbers of him averaging double-doubles all season."

Ray Allen is picking Emeka Okafor for ROY, Rip Hamilton is picking Ben Gordon

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Earlier on in the season, Dwight Howard had the advantage of having his team in the playoff picture, but since they have dropped out of that for the moment, Okafor is a definate favorite right now.
Dwight Howard has been posting up some big numbers of late though, so it'll be close.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

14 points (4-12 FG, 3-6 3PT, 3-4 FT), 2 rebounds, 4 turnovers, 1 block -- 31 minutes

7 points (3-13 FG, 1-2 FT), 12 rebounds, 7 turnovers, 4 blocks -- 36 minutes

12 points (6-8 FG), 7 rebounds, 3 turnovers -- 33 minutes

A pretty poor effort for all the rookies tonight, Dwight wins the award for tonight. Emeka played pretty terrible, but seemed to do a good job on Duncan

Rookie of the Night

16 points (5-11 FG, 6-7 FT), 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 turnovers, 3 blocks -- 36 minutes

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Well Okafor got another double double 11pts 12rebs, not like he is used to but at least hes giving an effort.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rookie Rankings

1. Emeka Okafor
2. Dwight Howard
3. Ben Gordon
4. Andre Iguodala
5. Jameer Nelson
6. Josh Childress
7. Josh Smith
8. Nenad Krstic
9. Andres Nocioni
10. Tony Allen

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
This has to be one of the closest races in recent memory. Obviously I'm biased, and I am a big believer that the player on the winning team, who is contributing to that team's winning, gets the award over the guy playing for the losing team.

HOWEVER, it is simply impossible to ignore 14.8 and 10.8, and it is impossible to ignore top-6 in the NBA in rebounding, offensive rebounding, and double-doubles.

To me, IMHO, this is a tie. You can't ignore Okafor's numbers, but you can't ignore Gordon leading the league in double-digit 4th quarters and being the front-runner for 6th Man of the Year. The biggest difference IMO between the Bulls' 0-9 start and their 33-22 since is Gordon's 4th-quarter scoring in close games.

I vote tie, but hold a gun to my head and I probably take Okafor.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ben Gordon with a 3-15 shooting night, but scored 20 points

JR Smith..33 points (13-18 FG, 6-9 3PT, 1-2 FT)

The SF's really stepped up today -- Josh Smith, Josh Childress, JR Smith

Okafor with a small game -- 12/7/2 blocks in 28 minutes

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
It's Okafor. I don't even want to enter into a discussion. It's Okafor. It's Okafor.

Say that to yourself 10 times before sleep tonight and you'll rest all the more comfortable.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pippen says Gordon wins ROY
Sorry Emeka: Ben Gets My ROY Vote
The ballots aren't due until the end of the season but I'm casting mine right now .... Ben Gordon for NBA Rookie of the Year. I know, I know ..... a former Bull voting for a fellow Bull, right? Well, the numbers back up my case. We'll get to that in a second, though. I think Ben deserves the honor over Emeka Okafor of the Bobcats because he's been much more productive while playing less minutes. Plus, the Bulls are winning. Gordon's production in a limited amount of time means a lot more than Okafor's, who plays a lot of minutes and speads his numbers over four four quarters for an expansion team. Gordon's proving that he can come in and do it in just in the fourth quarter for a winning team. At last check, Ben has recorded 18 double figure scoring fourth quarters this season. Where does that rank in the NBA? No. 1. Think about that. That's ahead of such great scorers as Iverson, Kobe and T-Mac.
Okafor got like 20 double doubles in a row, where does that rate? Top 5 as a rookie -- with the likes of Wilt, Shaq, and more
Now, check out the numbers between Ben and Emeka:

Ben --- Points-- 14.9; Minutes Per Game: 23.8, FG -- 42.5%; FT -- .847%; Rebounds -- 2.6; Assists -- 1.8; Team Victories = 35

Emeka ---Points -- 14.8; Minutes Per Game: 35.7; FG -- .44%; FT -- .575%; Rebounds -- 10.7; Assists -- .9; Team Victories = 13
How crap is Emeka, why can't he lead his team to victories when his starters are all backups who would of been journeymen

As you can see, Emeka is playing 12 minutes more per game yet they are neck and neck in terms of scoring averages. Naturally, Emeka is going to pull down more rebounds than Ben but their shooting percentages are close and Ben doesn't take nearly as many high percentage shots as Emeka does. Plus, Ben has the advantage from the free throw line -- .847% compared to .575%. Not only do I think Ben is deserving of top rookie honors, I also think he should win the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year Award as well. I know it would be the first time for any rookie to achieve this double double but nobody expected the Bulls to be in the playoffs this season and Gordon's play off the bench is a big reason why. This kid has been expected to come in and play a huge role down the stretch of games and is delivering time and time again. I think Scott Skiles' strategy of inserting him in the game off the bench is great because Gordon is a huge spark for the team. If you put Ben out there as a starter, the Bulls would lose some of their bench strength. Plus, other teams haven't been able to figure Gordon out because he's not out on the floor a whole lot.
Okafor is also a much better defender than Gordon, BG is too small to guard SG's and doesn't do a good job guarding PG's. Whereas Okafor is a great downlow prescense and is a force to be reckoned with in the paint

These young kids on the Bulls have really worked hard. A year ago, they were at the bottom of the barrel. But now, with the development of Kirk Hinrich and the coaching of Skiles, this is a very scary team going into the playoffs. In my mind, Hinrich should merit All-NBA Third Team honors for what he is doing in only his second season. The Bulls have primarily being doing it with their defense -- strong defensive rebounding while eliminating most teams to only one shot per trip down the floor.
Kirk Hinrich All-NBA Third Team? Damn Scottie, I respect your game a lot but that's just CRAZY. LeBron James, Vince Carter, Dwyane Wade, Steve Nash, Allen Iverson, Paul Pierce, Jason Kidd, Stephon Marbury, Chauncey Billups, Steve Francis, Gilbert Arenas, Larry Hughes, Andre Miller, Ray Allen, Baron Davis, Mike Bibby, Corey Maggette, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, Kobe Bryant, Michael Redd & Jason Richardson (probably a few more I forgot). Big woop if he's in his second season, people won't say "Oh, let's stick Hinrich in instead of Allen Iverson because Hinrich is a sophmore and Iverson is a seasoned veteran." Some of the names I listed are debateable, but it should give you a good indication

I can't really look at his views the same after I read that, of course if Pippen said that then he will choose BG for ROY

Skiles is really doing a great job of rotating the young players. If you put five of them out there at one time, you really don't give yourself a lot of room for coaching any one individual. Skiles will pull Tyson Chandler out and say "Look, you're going to have to play behind Eddy Curry and earn your minutes. Andres Nocioni, you gotta play behind Luol Deng, and Ben Gordon, you have to earn your minutes behind Kirk Hinrich and Chris Duhon." This way, the younger players can learn a lot watching from the bench and Skiles is always gonna have fresh meat out there.

Bottom Line: Ben is doing more with less minutes for a winning team. And isn't that what really counts -- the rookie making the most impact in helping his team win?
Yeh, I mean all Emeka is doing is taking a sub 10 win team to 14 wins with 15 remaining games in the season. Almost everyone expected us to be the DEAD-SET worst team in the league, yet Okafor has led us to victories. Not only that, but the Bobcats play hard almost every single night -- people just go "they suck" because they have a high L column as they can't seem to finish games off well
Bolded are my thoughts..

·
Registered
369 Posts
Theo! said:
Ben Gordon with a 3-15 shooting night, but scored 20 points

JR Smith..33 points (13-18 FG, 6-9 3PT, 1-2 FT)

The SF's really stepped up today -- Josh Smith, Josh Childress, JR Smith

Okafor with a small game -- 12/7/2 blocks in 28 minutes
Okafor got injuered, otherwise he was having a good game

·
Registered
369 Posts
Okafor for ROY. He doesnt close out games like Gordon because he's a bigman so he doesnt get the glory, but having an almost guaranteed double double has made this team competitive. without him they'd be getting blown out, but he's bringing near all star numbers and making them close.

ersonally I think the race is between Okafor and Howard, not Gordon

·
Registered
255 Posts
the reason Gordon is in the race is because 20 times this season he has scored in double digits in the 4th quarter and of the 3 only the bulls are a playoff team. Although if it was me id give it as a tie to Emeka and Gordon.... not only does it do fair justice for both but Gordon and Emeka are close friends and they would love nothing else but to share the reward together.

Also if Gordon wins he becomes the first rookie to win that and the 6th man of the year.. assuming he wins that reward too. :clap:

·
Registered
253 Posts
I find it hard to vote for someone for rookie of the year when he has a rookie in Chris Duhon starting ahead of him. Sorry ben but my vote is between Emeka and Howard.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Well Okafor won it so....... ;)

·
Registered
854 Posts
HE WON IT!!!!!! a well deserved honor, i am a bobcats fan and this is fitting as he was absouletly sensational this year. He truly deserves this. He and Bernie Bickerstaff was 2 of the success stories in the NBA this year as far as i'm concerned, because everybody predicted the bobcats would finish last, but we didn't

1 - 16 of 16 Posts