Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He is becoming the best European prospect this summer. He is 18, slovenian, C-PF, 6´10".

He played last two weeks with Slovenian under-18 NT in European Junior Championships and he was named MVP of the tournament (over Schortsanitis, Lampe, Sokolov, Vassiliadis...).

Highlights:
32 points (15/21 FG) in the final vs. Croatia;
29 Points (12/16 FG) and 18 Rebs in 31 Minutes vs. Turkey;
29 Points (14/19 FG) and 13 Rebs in 30 Minutes vs. Lithuania;

After this, he joined Slovenian under-20 NT and now he is playing European Championship for Young Men. It began yesterday.

First game, 07/26/2002: Slovenia vs. Turkey (91:89): Erazem Lorbek stats:

17 Points (7/10 FG, 3/6 FT), 8 Rebs, 2 Blocks... in just 20 Minutes!.

This under-20 European Championship is showing the next best European players. Many of them will be drafted next years: Aleksandr Vujacic, Zaur Pachulia, Marko Popovic, Kresimir Loncar, Blagota Sekulic, Michael Pietrus, Christos Tapoutos, Boris Diaw... and Nenad Kristic, #24 pick one month ago.

Oficial Web site:

http://www.youthbasket.com

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Erazem weighs 235 and his family is the greatest bball family in Europe. But he is not even a top 10 European prospect, the top 10 are:
1. Darko Milcic
2. Sophocles Schortsianitis
3. Kosta Perovic
4. Tahrou Sani
5. Eduardo Sonseca-Hernandez
6. Kresimir Loncar
7. Maciej Lampe
8. Carlos Delfino
9. Mickael Pietrus
10. Boris Diaw-Riffiod
and Malick Badiane isn't included but on INTERNATIONAL lists would be top 4....Erazem is top 25 because he can flat out score but he isn't that good yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by TheGoods
he is not even a top 10 European prospect, the top 10 are:
1. Darko Milcic
2. Sophocles Schortsianitis
3. Kosta Perovic
4. Tahrou Sani
5. Eduardo Sonseca-Hernandez
6. Kresimir Loncar
7. Maciej Lampe
8. Carlos Delfino
9. Mickael Pietrus
10. Boris Diaw-Riffiod
and Malick Badiane isn't included but on INTERNATIONAL lists would be top 4....Erazem is top 25 because he can flat out score but he isn't that good yet.
I´d like to know what is your list based on.
Your list is very similar than others I have seen in american websites. Don´t believe anything you hear anywhere. The best under-18 players (but Milicic) played this Championship and Lorbek was the best. No doubt about it.

(BTW, Edu Hernandez-Sonseca at 5?, Carlos Delfino European?. Your list needs some changes. Be tunned)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Edu Hernandez-Sonseca definitely should be in the upper part of the top ten, Mem-fizz!

What do you think about Johan Petro?

The people I've talked to that follow Euro ball very closely told me that they really don't consider Lorbeck a very good NBA prospect at all. Plus the fact that he's stuck behing Paul Davis, among others, at Michigan State and will not get much playing time.

And, depending on what his true age is, Tahirou Sani is no doubt number three, not four.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Johan Petro is considered at just 16 the next great French hope after Tony Parker.

First thing: in France, there is a public institution that gathers all the young basketball prospects (aged 14-18) and trains them. Petro is playing for them, but his team does not compete against players the same age; they play at a level just under professional basketball against experimented players, pretty much like Tony Parker did in Paris before going overseas. Just to stress the fact that he is not dominating as if he was playing against highschool competition for example.
He only has fours years of organised basketball behind him so he is still raw: much of his offensive production comes from easy-layups and offensive rebounds(9 points per game last season). He's a very good rebounder and a very good shotblocker (he averaged 6.4 and 1.8 in 20 minutes last season). If he manages to integrate a move or too in his post play he could be one the hottest prospect of the 2004 frosh class. They're already working on it, since he will be playing in France next year. I see him going to college or maybe to a major European club afterwards.Real Madrid wants to rejuvenate their front court, they already have Maciej Lampe (Poland) and they have showed their interest in Petro.
He drew some comparisons to fellow Frenchman Jerome Moiso who has now played for three NBA teams in two years. Moiso is talented but he is not focused and nasty enough, Petro will have to work on that as well but he is NBA material.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Erazem is not a great NBA prospect, my list was NBA prospects not European players in general. As for Petro, I like him he's 7-0 (almost) long, athletic, agile,quick, a good shot-blocker and rebounder, and a good passer. His offensive game is pretty developed for someone his age and he is a pretty good defender and sort of reminds me of Kevin Garnett on D with his length, but on O I think he is most similar to Keon Clark...he likes to go inside but he's just too skinny right now so he has an overdeveloped perimeter game....he's going to be good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CoolHandLuke and The Goods, I really would like Edu Hernández-Sonseca in the top five because he plays in my home team (Real Madrid, from Spain). I think I was the first who talks about him in USA forums (NBAdraft.net) after his awesome game in Euroleague vs Ural Great (28 points, 10/14 FG, 8/8 FT, 6 Rebs, 4 blocks in 32 minutes). Real Madrid had a lot of injuries and he got playtime (BTW, Macej Lampe played that game too: 7 points, 2/2 2FG, 1/2 3FG, 1 Reb in 14 minutes).

Honestly, I think he´s not a top 5 NBA prospect because he plays C and he is not strong enough at NBA level.

We all know NBA is more physical than non-USA b-ball. If you are not strong you must be very skilled, or very tall, i.e. Vlade Divac is not strong but he is a VERY skilled player. Darko Milicic is a very skilled player too. Schortsianitis is very strong, Jan Lian Yi is very skilled and very tall (BTW, he is not in your list).

Edu could be a dominant player in Europe, but he is not as skilled as Milicic, as strong as Schortsianitis, as tall as Jan Lian Yi.

I think Edu will be first round, but he is not a top five prospect. He turned 19 one month ago. Next season he will play Euroleague with Real Madrid and probably he will not get playtime (he will be the fourth C of the roster behind Tarlac, Reyes and another still not signed foreign C). I hope I´m wrong.

About your list, it must be updated. All these young prospects can rise one year and falls the next one. Usually they doesn´t play against each others and it´s not easy make comparisons. This summer we have European NT under-18 and under-20 Championships. We can see who is developing his game and who is not... and Erazem Lorbek became the dominant player by far in under-18 european championship, this is a fact, and he is playing amazing in under-20 championship against two years older players.

His updated stats after 3 games:

18.7 Ppg (3rd in the championship)
8.67 Rpg (7th)
75.9 2FG% (4th)
1.67 Blpg (2nd)
All this in just 25.3 Mpg (30th)
And, don´t forget it, playing against 19 and 20 years-old players.

He will play NCAA next year, I think it could be a mistake because he can develope his game playing european pro-leagues with (and against) more experienced and older players.

Finally, if you want another good prospect for your list, you can add this one:

Marko Popovic, 6-1, G, Croatian, 20 years old.

33.3 Ppg (top scorer by far in the championship)
6 Apg (1st)
2 Spg (2nd)
67.7 2FG% (7th)
41.2 3FG%
90.2 FT% (37/41 FTA in just 3 games!!!, unstoppable in ofense)

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Your point on Edu is good, although I have to give him the edge over Loncar and Pachulia. My top 5 are:
1. Darko Milicic- not as good as the hype but good
2.Sophocles Schortsianitis- he's a beast, the question is how tall he ends up? 6-10,6-11,7-0,etc?
3. Kosta Perovic- many don't see him coming, but he's the top defender among the best centers under 21, his O is developing and his strength and size is the best among his group.
4. Tahrou Sani- from Mali but is in France, he's a beast Elton Brand II + an inch and athleticism, could be the best of the group if he grows to 6-11 so he can play center.
5. Maciej Lampe- not great at anything, but good at everything

as for Edu, I think he and Loncar are close for #5, Lampe is really not as good a prospect as Edu but he is more NBA ready because Edu needs to tone his baby bulk into muscle, Loncar needs to plain bulk up....he's pretty skinny. Johan Petro could be top 5 also but he has French Model's sickness and needs 20 lbs at least.
Also about Pupovic and scorers, I think Yotam Halperin is the best scorer under 21, he reminds me of Latrell Spreewell and can draw fouls at will.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Erazem outplayed both Lampe and baby Shaq. He was named MVP. Won the game against Greece in last second. And I think he is a legit 6-11, being closer to 7-0 than 6-10. His body build reminds me of Rasho, but remember he is stil 18 years old. You should remember his name because he sign a letter of intent for Michigan State U. But the word in Slovenia is that tge coach of Olimpija our best club wants him to stay, and play for sinior team. And the president of Olimpija is Rado Lorbek, his father so go figure.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Everybody knows he outplayed Lampe and Schortsianitis, but he is not only a year and a half older than them, he is a lesser NBA prospect. When you said he looks like Radoslav Nesterovic you hit it on the nail, that's what he plays like...all post O no D and that's why he isn't a super prospect. He has no superstar potential, he is unathletic, slow, and he doesn't play D, he's just another slow immoble Euro center like Nesterovic or Vlademir Stepania. Lampe on the otherhand is very similar to Pau Gasol, and although he doesn't do anything great, he does everything well. And Schortsianitis is a beast, if he gets the right coaching he will be a monster, although I think he wont be that much taller than 6-11 or 7-0....even though he was listed at 210 cm or 6-10 and a little over half inch.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by TheGoods
Everybody knows he outplayed Lampe and Schortsianitis, but he is not only a year and a half older than them, he is a lesser NBA prospect. When you said he looks like Radoslav Nesterovic you hit it on the nail, that's what he plays like...all post O no D and that's why he isn't a super prospect. He has no superstar potential, he is unathletic, slow, and he doesn't play D, he's just another slow immoble Euro center like Nesterovic or Vlademir Stepania.
Lorbek is 11 months and a half older than Lampe, and one year and four months older than Schortsianitis.

Birthdays:

Lorbek: 02/21/1984
Lampe: 02/05/1985
Schortsianitis: 06/22/1985

Something else about Lorbek:

- Ciutat de L´Hospitalet International Junior Tournament, January 2002.
Lorbek played with Olimpia Ljubliana (winner of the tournament, first ever non-spanish winner) against the best Spanish junior teams (Real Madrid -Edu, Lampe- and Barcelona among others...).
Lorbek won MVP of the tournament (24.75 Ppg and 12 Rpg), with 30 Points and 16 Rebs in the final...

- World Championship for Young Men, Saitama, Japan, 2001. Lorbek was the YOUNGEST player in the championship, playing against four years-older players.

- High Schools World Championship, May, 2001: Winner of the Championship (Gimnazije Bezigrad), MVP of the tournament, 37 points in the final and 23.7 Points per game.

- European Junior Championships, 2000. Lorbek, just 16 years old, started with his NT against two years older players. 8 Ppg and 6 Rpg.

And finally, this 2002 summer he is proving he is the most dominant player in Europe at his age: MVP by far in under-18 European Championship and one of the best players in under-20 European Championship.

isn´t that enough?.

The Goods, you say "He has no superstar potential, he is unathletic, slow, and he doesn't play D, he's just another slow immoble Euro center"...

...he´s just another slow immoble Euro center???...

He is the best one in Europe in summer 2002!!!

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I'm sorry for getting Lampe's age wrong I could have sworn he was born in May of 1985 (I'll have to make a mental note that it's February...maybe Euro-dates confused me 05/02/85 vs 02/05/85).
But about Erazem, he CAN be an effective NBA player, but he isn't the defender or athlete Vlade Divac is so it's hard to see what he'd compare to. Chris Mihm, excluding the American part, is probably the most comperable current NBA player to Erazem IMO. They both are agile and good on O, especially in the post, but they both lack good D. I'll admit Erazem (I'm pretty sure) lead the Tourney in blocks, but he tends to do what Tyson Chandler does, he lunges for blocks and often leaves his man open, and if he were athletic he would probably have foul trouble like DGad had at UCLA his frosh year (Gadzuric used to run at 3-shooter and litterally kick their heads, but he is super athletic).
Erazem should make a solid NBA backup, but I just don't see superstar potential.
I'm pretty sure he'll wait until at least 2004, but whenever he declares he probably wont be in the lotto unless it's a weak draft.

here are the current (21 and under) Euro players 6-10 and above that I have higher than Erazem:
Darko Milicic, Sophocles Schortsianitis, Maciej Lampe, Eduardo Sonseca-Hernandez, Kosta Perovic (I really like him), Johan Petro (could be a real-big climer soon), Zaur Pachulia, and Anderson Varejao (from Brazil but in Spain), and Blagota Sekulic could get on that list too, soon, but he is a SF/SG not a real bigman. Also Malick Bidiane is on there if you include all internationals, and Jianlian Yi would be on there as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Goods, I have some recent news for you:

Slovenia beats Yugoslavia 75-71 in under-20 Euro Championship 2 hours ago... Lorbek vs. Nenad Krstic (#24 pick in 2002 NBA draft).

Their stats:

Lorbek: 27 Min, 12 Points, 4/9 FG, 4/5 FT, 3 Rebs, 1 TO
Krstic: 29 Min, 8 Points, 3/7 FG, 2/4 FT, 4 Rebs, 3 TO, 1 St.

Neither Lorbek nor Krstic had huge stats. Both players had a similar game, and Lorbek was injured two days ago vs. Lithuania.

Lorbek is right now as good as Krstic (you know it´s said "the new Divac"), and Lorbek is younger...

You can figure how important player is Lorbek for his NT:
Slovenia won his all four games played with Lorbek, and
Slovenia lost his only game without Lorbek (injured) by 29 points!!!.

Erazem is not just a good player, he makes his team better, and he is a winner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chris Mihm? Hell NO! If he develops like he should he will be as good as Divac. HE has more desire to win and is willing to bang with likes of baby Shaq and Lampe, unlike Mihm. Sure he isn't the best defender but going to MSU will help alot in that department. And it's not like those players you listed are superb defenders.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have never seen him play but I have heard several things about him.

He was mildy recruited by North Carolina, UCLA and a couple of other high D-1 schools as a member of the 2002 class. The word around Carolina was that he wasn't the physical inside player they wanted but a lot of that could have been talk. He never was given a scholarship offer (at least according to UNC sources) nor did Coach Dohtery ever see him in person (Reports indicate a member of UNC's coaching staff did). I don't know whether or Lorbek had little interest in playing for free or these college coaches didn't think he could contribute for their teams. Their could have also been concerns of eligibility and Lorbek possibility playing professional in Europe. It should be noted that Carolina signed two big men after looking at Lorbek and neither were conseus top 100 players.

Just some interesting info. Anybody have any more reports on his actual game. Not stats since I find them very useless in a lot of instances but actual bios.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am a huge Michigan State fan, and hearing about Lorbek has made me extremely happy. Though most of you think he is not at all what he is hyped up to be, it sounds like he will have effective ad productive years at Michigan State because they need all the help on their frontline as they can get. And with the Paul Davis situation, I am sure Izzo will find a way to make sure they can both get solid playing minutes along with eachother or giving eachother rests.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Things have gone pretty well for MSU lately? Spartansfan, what do you think of the point situation lately? I bet your equally excited about the commitment of Shannon Brown.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts