Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.nba.com/canada/smith_lowdown_010704.html

Entering the first week of the New Year, the Toronto native was averaging 11.3 points and 9.1 rebounds per game for the New Orleans Hornets. Compared to other centres in the East, Magloire sits third overall in boards (Ben Wallace: 13.3 RPG; Antonio Davis: 9.3 RPG) and second overall in scoring (Zydrunas Ilgauskas: 14.6 PPG).

"I've always wanted to be an All-Star, from the day I started playing basketball," said Magloire. "That hasn't changed. I know I have a shot to play on the All-Star team this year and I want to play. I'm doing all I can ¡V and the team is doing all they can ¡V to grab as many wins (as possible)."

Magloire's Hornets entered the first week of 2004 with a 21-13 record ¡V just a few games behind the Indiana Pacers for top spot in the East. Magloire is putting up All-Star calibre numbers on a winning team.

If the fans don't pave the way for Magloire's entrance to the big game in L.A, perhaps the Eastern Conference head coaches ¡V who will vote to determine the remaining All-Stars in the East ¡V will. Hornets coach Tim Floyd thinks that may be the best route Magloire can hope for.

"When you look at what he's done, he's made great improvement since the first two weeks of the season," Floyd told the Times-Picayune. "He's definitely All-Star calibre . . . If the fans don't vote him in, I'd hope that the coaches would value what both he and P.J. (Brown) would bring to a team. I never check the voting; where they stand doesn't mean they won't make it. The coaches know."

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The guy is athletic, He has a decent shot, can move quick, shows glimpses of great back to the basket moves. He just has to put it all together, and be a little more agressive.

Magloire is a great cutter i noticed off the ball. He makes 1 or 2 really great cuts every game, and is fed for a great dunk. If he gets position down low a bit better and becomes a little more agressive. He probably would deserve all star recognition.

Just has to take the next step. Hopefully he will.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
He's very solid and very good... any team in the league would love to have him. To be an all-star, though, you have to be some kind of a freak in some way... you've got to have a signature freakishness that makes you unique. You've got to be so freakishly good that you draw a lot of attention.

Of course, in the East, being a good, solid bigman makes you somewhat of an oddity... if Ilgauskas can be an All-Star, maybe Magloire can too.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by <b>Nevus</b>!
if Ilgauskas can be an All-Star, maybe Magloire can too.
Exactly, and the thing is that the Hornets are actually doing pretty well, compared to teams like Cavs (Z) and Bulls (Curry).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.