Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone watch the Tennesee VS UNLV game????? the two freshman QB's for Tennesee (Brent Schaeffer and Erik Ainge) conbined for 17-27 240 yards and 3 TD's. In there college debuts. And Erik Ainge went to Glencoe High School in Hillsboro Oregon. Wich is were I will go to high school. And he happend to be my coach at a basketball camp. Anyway what do you guys think of these two????????????

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I liked them both but it was a big mistake to play both as true freshmen. Do they not have any other quarterbacks on the roster? They should've decided on one, redshirted the other. Very few teams have success playing two guys, so they'll either suffer because they're playing two guys or decide on one and the other's season would've been wasted.

·
Beat The Heat
1,258 Posts
I didn't get to see the game. I don't get to see any games being in Iraq. But from what i read from online newspapers, the QB tandem of Ainge/Schaffer, did amazing. Especially with them being true freshmen. I mean, yeah they did play UNLV but i think they'll help keep UT competitive this year. Ainge excells in the passing game while Schaffer is the more mobile QB. I don't know how long this will last but for now, it's going to be harder for teams to come up with gameplans against UT. They have to find out how to stop 2 QB's with different playing styles. Then on top of that, once Houston is healthy again, they'll have to find a way to stop 4 very good RB's. As long as the 2 QB's and 4 RB's stay healthy and productive. Teams will have a really difficult time trying to contain all of them.
As for UT not starting another QB and letting Ainge/Schaffer sit the first year. They tried to do that during the preseason, but Ainge/Schaffer outperformed the other 3 or 4 QB's that were vying for playing time. Rick Clausen moved to #3 QB, i believe. Leak has moved to #2 or #3 TE. And James Banks is out for the year. I would've loved to have Banks playing WR for those 2 freshmen QB's.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I liked what I saw out of both of them but Schaeffer really impressed me. Not only was he outstanding rolling out of the pocket and making plays with his feet, he also showed he could throw the ball as well. Ainge also made many nice throws and Tennesse's WR's are very underrated.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Originally posted by <b>pharcyde</b>!
I liked them both but it was a big mistake to play both as true freshmen. Do they not have any other quarterbacks on the roster? They should've decided on one, redshirted the other. Very few teams have success playing two guys, so they'll either suffer because they're playing two guys or decide on one and the other's season would've been wasted.
The competition for them was CJ Leak, but now he's going to be playing Safety.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Do you think Fulmer can keep both happy? Or will he eventually decide on one and let the other transfer? I'm guessing that if he had to choose, Fulmer would keep Schaeffer (reminiscent of Tee Martin, but Schaeffer runs better). Ainge is going to be magnificent for somebody. I know it was UNLV, but Ainge's ability to get the play from the sidelines, make the call at the line, and get the snap off in time was impressive. His ability to pass under pressure and to pass with a touch was also impressive. They both have big-time potential, and I wish them both well.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Why is it that CJ Leak wasn't starting qb this year? I know hes sort of been a bust since high school,but i figured he'd be labelled the starter.

Anyway, I'm willing to bet one or the other transfers eventually(Brock Berlin style), to get more playing time.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Eagles in 2003</b>!
Why is it that CJ Leak wasn't starting qb this year? I know hes sort of been a bust since high school,but i figured he'd be labelled the starter.
I don't know if he's a bust, but he ran into a ton of injuries during his career. And probably just wasn't better than either of the freshman QBs they went with.

And to HONDA's question, I see one of those guys eventually transfering, and I think it'll be Ainge. They both seem to be eventual pro prospects, and right now it's a great story for both of them to be sharing time at QB but in a few years it'll be different. Of course not all cases like this end in transfer, like with Colorado in the 90's they had Kordell Stewart and Koy Detmer, and instead of causing controversy Koy just redshirted a season. While now it might not seem like anything, but considering Koy was the younger brother of a Heisman QB and record holder it was huge.

Too bad Kordell didn't stay at WR in the NFL, he was a way better WR than he was a QB.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts