Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have ESPN Insider...on the main page it states that Peja is going to test the waters...I dont and cant post the information here for you guys I was just going to give you a heads up...Sorry if this topic was misleading

Reactions: PaCeRhOLiC

· Registered
700 Posts
Peja says he will opt out of deal
Stojakovic, acquired in Artest trade, likely to become free agent after this season

By Mike Wells
[email protected]

CHICAGO -- Indiana Pacers forward Peja Stojakovic said Tuesday that he'll probably opt out of the final year of his contract and become a free agent this summer.

"I have the option to do it, so that's something I'm probably going to do," he said before the game at Chicago.

Stojakovic, acquired from Sacramento for Ron Artest on Jan. 25, is scheduled to make $8.2 million next season. Pacers president Larry Bird said in January that the team wants to keep Stojakovic beyond this season.

"I've been after this kid for two years and I don't want him to be here for two weeks. . . . Hopefully he'll be in a Pacer uniform for a long time to come," Bird said during the news conference to introduce Stojakovic.

Stojakovic is averaging 19.0 points and making 39 percent of his 3-pointers in 31 games with the Pacers.

Stojakovic said he's interested in remaining with the Pacers.

"I said from the beginning that the Pacers are a great organization," he said. "(CEO) Donnie (Walsh) and Larry are great people. I believe this team has the potential."

This comes from the Indy Star....pretty obvious that a 28-year-old guy at close to his peak market value is going to opt out of a contract that's been underpaying him for the past four years to test the free-agent waters.

And, with the lackluster at best free agent market this offseason (Peja, Big Al, Jason Terry, Pryzbilla, Cassell and Nene are the only "high-profile" guys out there at all), any of you that think we're re-signing this guy for anything below $13-14 per season are crazy.

LET HIM WALK. Let Toronto or Charlotte or Chicago or Atlanat overpay the guy. All he's doing is hindering the progress of The Gift anyway.

· Feel the Rush!
4,274 Posts
Pacers Fan said:
We're not going to let him walk. At the very least, we'll sign & trade him for something decent. Probably to Chicago, and we have a history of rip off deals with them.

Exactly. I will be extremely surprised if this organization just lets him walk. Either he stays or we do a sign and trade. Bird will want to keep him over many other players, because it's Bird.

· Registered
1,681 Posts
Letting him walk would be the worse possible thing we could do! Then we would have nothing to show for Artest, who by the way completely turned his team around.

· Registered
700 Posts
A sign and trade seems unlikely, unless some other team is prepared to give him more than a max contract. Why would any team want to deal with us in the situation when they can offer him whatever they want with out going through a "middleman"? It's not like we have any real trading chips over here, aside from Granger or Harrison or possibly Sarunas. And including either Gift or Hulk would be just making a bad situation worse. The only other reason some other deal would want to deal with us in addition to Peja's agent is if we were willing to take on a bad contract on their books. The point of getting rid of Peja would be to avoid a bad contract so there's no real point in taking another one on in return for that.

I think it's time to realize we already lost BADLY in the whole Artest situation. We traded him for (basically) the best player we could get, fully knowing that that player would be able to leave at the end of the year if he wanted. We lost. The Maloofs won (for now). Time to cut the strings on the whole debacle that was the last two years and get moving towards the future. A future without Peja.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.