Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
McInnis has a long-storied past of being a jerk... UNC and Clippers coaches have had issues with him.

But jerks don't always fail as players, and McInnis led (in terms of being the starting PG; not in terms of points or anything) the Cavs to a pretty nice win over Philly tonight in spite of James still being out.

It'll be interesting to see if Cleveland cuts McInnis before July 1 because of his not fully guaranteed contract. Considering how cheap Jeff is for next year ($3m or so for a starting PG isn't too much) I don't think that they will, and I don't see how Stein's sudden relevation that McInnis will be a FA next year is true, because why would the Blazers only have signed Jeff to a 2 year deal and miss out on having Bird rights if he ended up doing really well?

Ed O.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Yeah I just read that article. I didn't know McInnis was such a jerk..

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
Originally posted by <b>WhoDaBest23</b>!
I didn't know McInnis was such a jerk..
I still don't. Sorry, not buying it. I'm to the point that when a proven gossip bleep like Stein attributes nasty quotes to unnamed former teammates, I just assume it's a lie made up for his article. It might be totally true on this occation, and Jeff may be a colosal jerk and a lousy teammate, but I don't respect this sort of unsubstanciated character smearing as legit. A guy/teammate who isn't willing to go on record with his opinion, should (and probably does) keep it to himself. What's the benefit of dishing dirt except to titalate gossipy sportsfans, and how does that benefit the unnamed former teammate? Whenever a writer comes up with annonomous quotes, or sites the everpopular "NBA sources" for trade rumors to spice up his stories, I take that as writer's code for... I got nothing, but heres some BS I made up. The game is interesting enough in itself to hold my attention without this sort of alleged mudslinging.

I hope Jeff does well with his new team... he'll be missed on the court in Portland when the shotclock is running down.

STOMP

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by <b>STOMP</b>!

I still don't. Sorry, not buying it. I'm to the point that when a proven gossip bleep like Stein attributes nasty quotes to unnamed former teammates, I just assume it's a lie made up for his article. It might be totally true on this occation, and Jeff may be a colosal jerk and a lousy teammate, but I don't respect this sort of unsubstanciated character smearing as legit. A guy/teammate who isn't willing to go on record with his opinion, should (and probably does) keep it to himself. What's the benefit of dishing dirt except to titalate gossipy sportsfans, and how does that benefit the unnamed former teammate? Whenever a writer comes up with annonomous quotes, or sites the everpopular "NBA sources" for trade rumors to spice up his stories, I take that as writer's code for... I got nothing, but heres some BS I made up. The game is interesting enough in itself to hold my attention without this sort of alleged mudslinging.

I hope Jeff does well with his new team... he'll be missed on the court in Portland when the shotclock is running down.

STOMP
Obviously you could be right. I just think that if a national media guy wanted to make something up about a player, he would pick someone who most people have heard of.

I doubt not much more than 5%-10% of all NBA fans could pick Jeff McInnis out of a lineup.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Originally posted by <b>trifecta</b>!

I doubt not much more than 5%-10% of all NBA fans could pick Jeff McInnis out of a lineup.
This is a classic hatchet job and the suddenness of it is a little jarring at first. I've heard the McInnis as bad teammate bits before, but he's been around for years. Why now to do such a long smear on him? The answer: shadows from the Lebron James spotlight (or maybe even halo).

I consider this article just a hurried attempt to spread whatever controversy near James as he can. He's known the rumors for years and never bothered much, if at all, with them before. But with James around, hey, any little "if it bleeds it leads" item is worth a headline.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Stein has always been a horrible writer and the main reason I hate ESPN so much. I take very little credence in what he writes. In terms of credibility, he is slightly above Jason quic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts