Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the heck does wade get three MVP VOTES. DIRK GOT NO VOTES AND KOBE GOT ONLY ONE! I gotta love what people say about WADE.

John Hollinger:
This year's MVP is Dwyane Wade. Why? Let's take it from the top: He's been the best player in the league statistically. That doesn't necessarily make him the MVP, but it does put the burden of proof on the other candidates to show why it should be somebody else.

I don't think anyone else can do that. In addition to the gaudy stats, Wade has played solid defense, been a prince in the locker room and has one of the biggest on-court/off-court differentials in the league. He's kept the Heat among the East's elite amidst Shaquille O'Neal's decline, and he's only gotten better as the year has gone on.

So while you could make a case for several other candidates, they ultimately fall short in any head-to-head comparison against Wade.

Nobody has done as much to contribute to his team's success.

Will Perdue:
Wade is the best player in the league.

Wade's scoring is up four points over last season and his turnovers are down by one per game. Wade is top 10 in steals, assists and scoring, and he's been to the line (549-703, 78 percent) more than all of the other plausible MVP candidates.

Yeah, he plays with Shaq, but the Diesel is no longer a 12-cylinder engine (he's more like an eight-cylinder). Shaq has missed 19 games this season, and the Heat are still 45-22. D-Wade has played 63 of 67 games. He's carrying the Heat.

I played with Michael Jordan, and a lot of players have been compared to MJ over the years, but D-Wade is the closest to having the game and the charisma to carry it off.

Don't be fooled by the fact that he wears Converse. Nike owns Converse.

and for me this one takes the cake:
Bill Simmons:
Dwyane Wade, Miami Heat
He's the best two-way player in the league. He's been scoring 33 a game and shooting 56 percent from the field for the past two months. He's the one star in the league who can completely turn a game around in about 90 seconds. He got over an early season funk of taking bad shots and makes the right decisions nearly all the time.

He's probably the toughest two-guard since the late-'90s MJ. He's the most efficient superstar since the early-'90s MJ. He's been on a mission since he didn't win the MVP at the All-Star Game. And he has a knack for raising his game when it matters.

Here's the point: Miami is 22-6 over its past 28 games, mainly because of Dwyane Wade. I see them continuing to get better and better. Why? Because he keeps getting better and better. After MJ retired, did you ever think you would see another guard average 30-35 points a night, rack up another six rebounds and six assists per game, play world-class defense and shoot 55 percent from the field? Well, it's happening

Say what you want about Kobe and Dirk but HOW THE HECK IS WADE MVP!!!!!!?????? DWAYNE WADE PLAYS WORLD CLASS DEFENSE NOW? He is the only star in the league who can completely turn a game around in 90 seconds? He is the TOUGHEST two guard in the league since MJ!!!!!!!!!!!!! He plays with a declining SHAQ but do you consider him worse than oh say josh howard? Does he have a good jump shot? How the heck would you even consider giving wade MVP when their are other more worthy candidates.(Nash, Dirk, Kobe, Chauncey, Elton, Lebron.) I hope everyone can agree here that though I like wade, i dislike the fact that the so-called experts are giving credit to the wrong guys.

· Registered
2,117 Posts
The only guy whose opinion I would even consider valuing is Perdue's. He's played with Jordan and knows what he's talking about more than Hollinger and Simmons.

But Wade is not MVP, IMO. As much as I like the guy, he has not been "carrying" the Heat...with guys like Zo, Payton, Walker, Posey, Haslem, J Will, and oh yes, Shaq (!!!), you cannot say in any way, shape or form he's been "carrying" his team. That's a heck of a so-called supporting cast right there!

Kobe's been carrying his team.
Lebron's been carrying his team.
Even Nash has been carrying his team.
Dirk has been carrying his team.

Take each guy out of their respective team and they're in the lottery. Take D Wade out of the Heat and they still make the playoffs easily. The real question is: which team would suffer the biggest dropoff in wins from the absence of their "MVP"?

Or, if you replace each player with an "average" replacement, which team would suffer from it the most?

IMO, it has to be either the Cavs, Lakers or Mavs. In other words, the MVP right now is either Dirk, Kobe or Lebron. Since the MVP and winning usually go hand in hand, i'll take Kobe out of the running right now. So it's either Dirk or Lebron, in my opinion.

Lebron has the better stats, but the Mavs have the better record, but also the better supporting cast. The Cavs have been playing without Larry Hughes for most of the season, and this should be brought up more often...if you look at the Cavs lineup, most people would be surprised by how poor their roster looks, talent wise, compared to most other "good" teams.

To put things into perspective, the Cavs record is 40-29, and the Heat record is 46-23...that's not a HUGE differential is you look at it, especially if you take into account that Larry Hughes has barely played at all this season, then compare the rosters.

I would pick Dirk as of now though, because he's been doing it all for the Mavs, who currently are 53-16. He has the stats, the winning record and the consistency of an MVP.

I will say this though, if the Cavs finish with 50 wins, and the Lakers win 46 games (basically most of their remaining games), a strong case for Kobe and Lebron could be made.

Reactions: Carbo04 and Tersk

· Registered
1,357 Posts
Wade is deserving the MVP talk

if you really don't think Wade carries the Heat...then you underestimate Wade and haven't watched enough of him

Wade is just having an absolute stellar season, ALL AROUND

and another thing, you guys really need to chill on the "OMG ESPN IDIOTS"...1) that's only partially true, 2)you guys think they are the "mainstream media" and only is here to inflame things...come again please...they might offer different perspectives but that's different from pouting off nonsense...3)if you look back at their "predictions", some of them are right on. Imagine this, I would assume that a lot (if not all) of them watch more NBA games than we do so they actually watch the games in progress rather than just basing their perspectives off highlights, so they will see things we don't see...if you got a problem e-mail them and sometimes they do respond

· Registered
573 Posts
Yes Wade is having a stellar season, but compared to Kobe's, or Dirk, it just pales in comparison. Put Wade into the Lakers team instead of Kobe, and watch him struggle to replicate his current stats. The same people who hyped Nash is ignoring him even though the reigning MVP has gotten better, and it's one of the many reasons why they're not called BSPN for nothing.

· Registered
1,357 Posts
darknezx said:
Yes Wade is having a stellar season, but compared to Kobe's, or Dirk, it just pales in comparison. Put Wade into the Lakers team instead of Kobe, and watch him struggle to replicate his current stats. The same people who hyped Nash is ignoring him even though the reigning MVP has gotten better, and it's one of the many reasons why they're not called BSPN for nothing.

1) people do vote for Nash

2) Wade is absolutely spectular, it's hard to put this in words but he has become arguably the best 2 guard in the league because, save for the 3 pointers (which he has improved!), he has all the things that most other players (i.e. Kobe, Lebron) lack.

It's not to fair to say "Put wade into the Lakers"...because Wade has the same effect on Heat as Nash with the Suns...it's not as much about the stats as about watching the teams play and see how this player affects his players and the league...Nash got MVP last year wasn't because he led the league in assist but of his tremendous leadership on the court...same thing with Wade...

also it's unfair to use the team argument because 1) players don't have that much choice who they play with and 2) you can tell who are the ballers and who aren't...so OF COURSE playing with Shaq makes life easier but if he never had the skills he has he wouldn't be in the discussion today...when you watch the game you can tell who is just the leechers (i.e. Damon Jones) and who really rise up to the level of the playing field and take lead of the team

· Registered
3,763 Posts
if only melo had shaq...:rofl:

seriously, melo is doing it all ;)

but my vote is for dirk, unless the nuggz can somehow sneak into #2 which is unlikely...

Reactions: Carbo04

· Registered
3,763 Posts
the_mavsman said:
Dirk gets no love :(.
wade is "better looking" i guess...

???

· Registered
1,357 Posts
-BasketBallBoy- said:
Say what you want about Kobe and Dirk but HOW THE HECK IS WADE MVP!!!!!!?????? DWAYNE WADE PLAYS WORLD CLASS DEFENSE NOW? He is the only star in the league who can completely turn a game around in 90 seconds? He is the TOUGHEST two guard in the league since MJ!!!!!!!!!!!!! He plays with a declining SHAQ but do you consider him worse than oh say josh howard? Does he have a good jump shot? How the heck would you even consider giving wade MVP when their are other more worthy candidates.(Nash, Dirk, Kobe, Chauncey, Elton, Lebron.) I hope everyone can agree here that though I like wade, i dislike the fact that the so-called experts are giving credit to the wrong guys.
Dwyane Wade does play more of impressive defense than anybody else except the Pistons

He may not be the only star but he definitely is one of the few that can competely turn a game around in 90 seconds (and he has done so multiple times now)

He is the arguably the toughest two guard since MJ if you count in all the factors (including mental and physical)...Wade has a good jump shot, welcome to 2006

How can you not consider Wade as MVP when his team is absolutely doing well and he deserves consideration?

If you watch Wade's game closely, it is amazing the things that he does...but it's pointless for me to sit here and tell you how amazing Wade is because if you don't see it, you don't see it

· Registered
4,882 Posts
Its tough for DWade being rated because he's in the same situation that Kobe and Penny were when they were playing alongside Shaq. He's definitely is a top player, but some people won't give him his due because he plays with the Diesel. Do I think he's the MVP? No, I think it belongs to Nash. But I do think that he definitely deserves to be in the conversation.

Just wondering, what was the Heat's record without Shaq in the lineup? Shaq, though declining, still has a HUUUUUGE impact on the game.

The Heat without Shaq are a playoff team. But then again, the Heat without Wade are also a playoff team. But I still think that without Shaq they aren't championship contenders, he's what puts the Heat over the top. Without Wade, are they championship contenders? I think they would have an outside shot of beating Detroit. It's a lot easier to replace what Wade brings on both sides of the court than what Shaq brings. No perimeter player is capable of bringing what Shaq brings come playoff time.

· Registered
3,763 Posts
Mavs Maniac said:

You mean, I'm the only one who finds that attractive?
thats tight as **** homie :cheers:

No masked cursing.

· Registered
3,763 Posts
HallOfFamer said:
Its tough for DWade being rated because he's in the same situation that Kobe and Penny were when they were playing alongside Shaq. He's definitely is a top player, but some people won't give him his due because he plays with the Diesel. Do I think he's the MVP? No, I think it belongs to Nash. But I do think that he definitely deserves to be in the conversation.

Just wondering, what was the Heat's record without Shaq in the lineup? Shaq, though declining, still has a HUUUUUGE impact on the game.

The Heat without Shaq are a playoff team. But then again, the Heat without Wade are also a playoff team. But I still think that without Shaq they aren't championship contenders, he's what puts the Heat over the top. Without Wade, are they championship contenders? I think they would have an outside shot of beating Detroit. It's a lot easier to replace what Wade brings on both sides of the court than what Shaq brings. No perimeter player is capable of bringing what Shaq brings come playoff time.
i heard a stat a couple weeks ago that wade shoots only 40% w/o shaq playing :cry:

dont know how accurate that is, but i believe it...

· Registered
1,357 Posts
HallOfFamer said:

I disagree. Shaq does have a huge impact to the game, but I would same Wade's impact is pretty close now. Without Wade there is no way they would be a championship contender. I personally think you are underestimating Wade greatly and not see that what is doing, contrary to your opinion, is not replacable (unless you get Kobe or Lebron). Wade is playing both sides of the court and has a tremendous feel for the game.

Shaq and Wade need each other

· Registered
4,882 Posts
GoDWade said:
I disagree. Shaq does have a huge impact to the game, but I would same Wade's impact is pretty close now. Without Wade there is no way they would be a championship contender. I personally think you are underestimating Wade greatly and not see that what is doing, contrary to your opinion, is not replacable (unless you get Kobe or Lebron). Wade is playing both sides of the court and has a tremendous feel for the game.

Shaq and Wade need each other

Yeah, very true that they need each other to be successful.

But as evidenced by the Detroit game on Wed., its much easier for defenses to shut down perimeter players then it is for them to shut down Shaq down low. Wade's defense this season has undoubtedly been All NBA. But without Shaq or Zo in the middle for backup, he wouldn't be allowed to play his man so tight and press so hard.

Who's game would be more affected by one's absence? Shaq or Wade? IMO, Wade's game would drop, but he would still be an ALL NBA player. Shaqs game probably wouldnt drop significantly, well maybe only because of his age not due to Wade's absence.

Kobe was going through the same thing, and when he was alone last year, we saw his game drop. Before this year, I think Kobe's best year ever was 00-01 season. He was in the same talks for MVP as Wade is in now but he did have a better Shaq playing. Wade will probably go through the same thing as well, he'll probably finish 4th or 5th.

· Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
GoDWade said:
Dwyane Wade does play more of impressive defense than anybody else except the Pistons

He may not be the only star but he definitely is one of the few that can competely turn a game around in 90 seconds (and he has done so multiple times now)

He is the arguably the toughest two guard since MJ if you count in all the factors (including mental and physical)...Wade has a good jump shot, welcome to 2006

How can you not consider Wade as MVP when his team is absolutely doing well and he deserves consideration?

If you watch Wade's game closely, it is amazing the things that he does...but it's pointless for me to sit here and tell you how amazing Wade is because if you don't see it, you don't see it

Not saying that he does not deserve to be in the MVP discussion but I dont think he deserves more than one vote, guys like kobe, dirk and lebron for me deserve at least 1 more vote. Specially dirk, give some credit to him.

· Registered
15 Posts
Wade has a MVP worthy season, BUT there are two other guys Nash and Nowitzki who are just much better candidates! I don't know why we even argue about that, i think thats pretty obvious. Wade competes for the third place which is a great thing for him and he can definately win the award in the future. But not this year!
and BTW the espn list is a joke.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.