Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16834452/atlanta-hawks-had-great-plan-get-better-all-went-wrong

Chasing Howard and Faried marks a bit of an identity crisis for a team that was set in its ways. The Hawks will play differently, on both ends, with Howard. Every team strives for roster continuity, but there is a blurry line between continuity and staleness. The Hawks decided they had crossed it.

They had an elegant plan to shake up the present while boosting the future at the same time. To execute it, they needed Horford back. They came up short on the money, and acquired Howard -- about whom Horford had major reservations, per sources close to the situation.

They could have signed another big man, kept Horford and dealt Millsap. They could have dealt Millsap, let Horford walk and bottomed out. They could have kept both, re-signed Bazemore, sloughed off bit players and signed another wing.

Juggling all of this in real time is hard. Things change fast, in unpredictable ways. But for now, it looks as if the Hawks swapped centers and missed a chance to snag some valuable future assets. If they end up a slightly worse mid-rung playoff team with an outgoing free agent they can't trade, they might regret it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
They could be shipping Dwight out in a year if the team tanks and Millsap leaves.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
They could be shipping Dwight out in a year if the team tanks and Millsap leaves.
I don't think they're likely to send Howard out, but they'll be in a weird spot next summer having to choose whether to be pay a 36-year-old Kyle Korver and whether to be high-bidder on Paul Millsap at 32 (since Millsap now knows they tried to ship him out and thus isn't likely to give Atlanta a discount). They probably should look to move those two for some guys signed to longer-term deals, or still on rookie deals, that they can plug in around Schroder, Bazemore, and Dwight and hope to retool on the fly while remaining a playoff team.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can not re-sign Korver unless it's on a value contract. They drafted two wings in the first round and a 19-year old European SG in round two who was promised to go late 1st. Atlanta is probably hoping one of those pans out or shows flashes of potential and they don't have to pay Korver.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Atlanta is probably hoping one of those pans out or shows flashes of potential and they don't have to pay Korver.
Oh, I agree with you - I think that, one way or another, this is likely to be Korver's last year with the team. I just think that Atlanta's at a point where they should be keeping an eye toward the future, and that there's still a chance to extract some value from Korver. If you could get a late first/very early second and/or a young guy to take a flier on, it may be worth a shot. Something like Korver to Charlotte for Jeremy Lamb (and Jeremy Lamb's contract) and the Hornets' 2017 first might be possible, or maybe to Boston for one of their young wings (no, not Smart or Brown - Hunter or Young) plus the 2019 Clippers pick they got from Memphis.

If they don't want to help anyone in the East in the short-term, they could look to Utah, who holds Golden State's 2017 first-rounder and/or may be willing to move on from Alec Burks (who's under contract for two more years). They could also look to make something happen with Portland for Cleveland's 2018 pick. There are possibilities, is what I'm saying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts