Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a blurb in Insider

Every GM apparently has called Pax in the last 2 days to gauge interest in Curry and Chandler since the Insider article 2 days ago. One guy that seems to have actually made an offer is West. Pax asked for Gasol, who West isnt high on and they said that more players would have to be included to make that happen. Ford speculated that a more realistic deal is Curry, Erob and JYD for Swift, Dahntay Jones and Shane Battier. Again, that is speculation but just thought it was interesting that the best GM of the last 20 years is inquiring seriously about our busted project

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Ooohhh Gasol would be nice. He is absolutely not being used correctly by Hubie.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
That is interesting. West must see something good in Curry. I don't know that I would trade him for anything short of Gasol though if I were Pax.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Err.. neither is Swift btw either. He's seems to be getting less than 20 min of burn a night. I would prefer Gasol however.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if this is true, and I have no reason to believe it isnt, then give Pax credit. He asked for Gasol and now its up to West. Gasol is really a superstar in the making if used right. Now, he is a borderline allstar who is not being used anywhere near the way he should. He really is a 7 foot Pippen whom memphis just puts down on the block. Gasol would be great, but the Bulls might have to throw in JC and take a lesser player back. Id still do it. draft Emeka, move Gasol to the 3 (where he should be playing) and take a Dahntay Jones and you might have an interesting team next year

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Curry going to a team where he can develop at his own pace, with less pressure will do him the world of good.

This is my concern. If we trade away guys, it will just be like Artest and Miller. These players go to a team with more talent in a better situation, and fill roles realistic for them. In Chicago, Artest was No. 1 option on offense, something he wasn't suited to. He goes to Indiana, an environment with some solid veterans, becames the 2nd or 3rd option behind O'Neal, and stars. His development was enhanced being in a better situation.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
Ooohhh Gasol would be nice. He is absolutely not being used correctly by Hubie.
I wouldn't trust Skiles to clean up after Hubie.

Nope. Uh-uh.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
if this is true, and I have no reason to believe it isnt, then give Pax credit. He asked for Gasol and now its up to West. Gasol is really a superstar in the making if used right. Now, he is a borderline allstar who is not being used anywhere near the way he should. He really is a 7 foot Pippen whom memphis just puts down on the block. Gasol would be great, but the Bulls might have to throw in JC and take a lesser player back. Id still do it. draft Emeka, move Gasol to the 3 (where he should be playing) and take a Dahntay Jones and you might have an interesting team next year
Agreed. At least this little snippet shows us that Paxson isn't a complete neophyte when it comes to talent eval. And we know that West will give up substantial talent to get a player he wants (ie. Mike Miller). If West is hot for Curry... we could potentially get Gasol <i>and</i> Battier/Swift.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by <b>Benny the Bull</b>!
Curry going to a team where he can develop at his own pace, with less pressure will do him the world of good.

This is my concern. If we trade away guys, it will just be like Artest and Miller. These players go to a team with more talent in a better situation, and fill roles realistic for them. In Chicago, Artest was No. 1 option on offense, something he wasn't suited to. He goes to Indiana, an environment with some solid veterans, becames the 2nd or 3rd option behind O'Neal, and stars. His development was enhanced being in a better situation.
I agree. however we arent dealing Curry for a washed up second option with a max deal. if the deal for Gasol would happen, that would be more then fair. I doubt Curry is ever as good as Pau. And Pau has huge upside if used right. In europe, he was basically a PG. I kid people not. ANd he thrived. He even played a lot on the perimeter in the european champs this summer and was arguably the best player there.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
At this point, I'd take Gasol straight up for Curry. We run the risk of Curry becoming an absolute monster (which is extremely possible with West on the scene) but right now Curry isnt working out for us. I want to stick with Curry and give him some time, but if Gasol is on the table you have to take it.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I don't know about Gasol as a 3. He would be burned defensively. I see what you mean about using him incorrectly, but I think it just means having him on the perimeter more where to can create and take his man off the dribble more.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Benny the Bull</b>!

Benny, I'm smoking what you are smoking on this one...(Sorry, couldn't resist with that based upon this week's events).

I do agree. Dealing with West is like dealing with Jerry Krause. You feel uneasy about anything that occurs.

I really think our problem is that we are waiting for too many guys to develop. The problem becomes, who do you parole in to NBA All-Star status, and who do you keep hoping they develop by next season?

If we got Gasol back, then it would be tough to argue. He's young and going to be borderline all-star for many years on another team.

If we only get Battier and chump change, I will bump the "Fire Paxson now" thread everyday for two months.

We gave away three all-stars and a solid C for nothing ............Nothing!

Brand, Artest, Miller and Jake Voskhul. Hell, there's the inside outside presence we currently need.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think Gasol can guard the wing better then most people think. He is long and moves well. He is a good 3 point shooter when given the chance. he handles well and sees the court well. and we know he can score. Memphis used him to their needs, not to his strengths. He could be a legit top 10 player if used correctly. I really believe that. I also think he can be a point forward type at this level. If the Bulls luck out and get Emeka, then you have got the best shot blocker since David Robinson entered the league and Chandler partrolling the lane, so you can get away with the nearly all 7 foot front line. The Bulls will need a 2 guard if JC is part of the deal, but if Pax can pull it off, Ill swear my allegiance to him no matter what

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by <b>chifaninca</b>!

Benny, I'm smoking what you are smoking on this one...(Sorry, couldn't resist with that based upon this week's events).

I do agree. Dealing with West is like dealing with Jerry Krause. You feel uneasy about anything that occurs.

I really think our problem is that we are waiting for too many guys to develop. The problem becomes, who do you parole in to NBA All-Star status, and who do you keep hoping they develop by next season?

If we got Gasol back, then it would be tough to argue. He's young and going to be borderline all-star for many years on another team.

If we only get Battier and chump change, I will bump the "Fire Paxson now" thread everyday for two months.

We gave away three all-stars and a solid C for nothing ............Nothing!

Brand, Artest, Miller and Jake Voskhul. Hell, there's the inside outside presence we currently need.
We are trying to develop too many players. Too many young guys and not enough quality veterans has been the problem for many years.

My thinking is that realistically, at the moment, Curry on a good team is an offensive spark off the bench, where you can maybe 'hide' his defensive weaknesses, and beat up on weak back up centers. That's where he is at currently, but people are expecting the guy to dominate.

The same applies to Crawford. He is not a guy who can carry a team offensively. Not many can. But put him in a situation where he is the 2nd or 3rd option on offense with good defenders, and he will shine. Also, if he is the main 'developing' player, this will also help.

If we got Gasol and Battier for Curry, that a good deal.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Memphis has some players that I really like. After Gasol, I'd put Battier, Watson and Swift up there too (in that order). Like us they have many players on their rookie contracts, but theirs can bring it on a nightly basis.

For the record I would do this in a heartbeat.... Crawford, Curry, and Blount for Gasol, Battier, and Watson. JMO. Okafor, Pavel, and Deng would be on my 1st round radar too.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
move Gasol to the 3 (where he should be playing)
No, no, no!

Beware the 7 foot 3 man not named Garnett!

Look, Gasol has the offensive talent to play the 3 position -- even the point forward -- I have no doubt of that. I love his game, but like Dirk, he is a 4 with versatility. Have him guarding Paul Pierce, Vince Carter, and any number of smaller, quicker 3's in the league, and you've got a problem.

And I don't want Tyson Chandler running around on the peremeter chasing 3's next to him either. Tyson's help defense around the basket may be his most notable skill. Pull him away from the hoop and you limit his intidation skills a la Ben Wallace.

I think Gasol WITH Curry would be awsome, asuming we had a SF who could clean the glass. Gasol could play like a 3 on offense, but I still think he should be guarding the 4 position.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Anyone else think that with our woes at SF, Mike Miller may be part of this deal?

Would anyone else do JC and Curry for Gasol, Miller and a filler?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Curry and Fizer for Gasol and Posey works under the rules.

Posey provides the kind of strong defender and outside shooter we might need next to Pau. That is, we could run Posey at the 2 and Gasol at the 3 and not worry quite as much about Pau's defensive deficiencies.

In the long run, we'd get:
Posey, Gasol, Chandler at the 2/3/4 positions, or maybe at the 3/4/5 positions... and then we see what we can do with Crawford seperately.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
Anyone else think that with our woes at SF, Mike Miller may be part of this deal?

Would anyone else do JC and Curry for Gasol, Miller and a filler?
West traded Giricek and Gooden for Miller, and subsequently signed Miller to an extension. He is not going anywhere.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts